Information on airguns

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

Information on airguns

Post by DrDan »

Since game seems to abound in urban settings, air guns have become very popular. Has anyone fooled with them and can give me advice on what models are the best? My gosh I see some clear up to 50 caliber that will kill a deer or boar. I want one!
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
the elf

airguns

Post by the elf »

Hi Doc---I have been enjoying airguns for over 60 years---I am now 66.
At the moment I have 2---both German made --one is .177 and the other
is .22. Both of these are spring piston guns with a single cocking pump .With the .22 I have been successful hunting everything from ground
hogs down to rabid field mice. My airguns take care of all my backyard
pests and problem interlopers with a minimum of noise---it also helps that I have sympathetic and like minded neighbours.On occasion I have used them in the field but usually use a 22 mag. For deer etc. I use a .308 or
a .270---I have never used a larger calibre than a .22 in an airgun---but have read where they were used by Napoleon's armies in some of their
campaigns.----Sorry to be so long winded but airguns are one of my
main passions.--------Lon.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

To get to more info about some of those big airguns, click on our "Airgun Field Target" page at www.pcdcc.com or go directly to http://caftahome.com. I'm sure if you e-mail one of the guys they will be more than happy to chat :)
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
cbruce

Post by cbruce »

one thing I don't like airgun is the pellets it shoots are mostly made by lead, which is poison to human. You don't want to eat the bird you shot by airgun. There are a few kinds of pellets made with other materials, but the performance are not as good as lead made ones. My point is if you just shoot for fun or for pests control, no problem at all, just enjoy the convenience of an airgun; however if you want to eat what you shot, you'd better use lead free pellets. There are many good brands, such as RWS, crosman, beeman, daisy, gamo, etc. And you need a .22 for anything bigger than a rat.
Bluefish024

Post by Bluefish024 »

Air guns are a passion for me also.. right now I have a RWS Diana 350 mag. with a Swift 6.5-20x44 scope...177 cal. I love this gun I shoot russian exact Diablo's 10.2 gr. Couple words of advice first 800fps is a bit more accurate than 1000fps and Raptor pellets which are gold coated pellets give you more feet per second but are not very consistant accuracy wise.. And as far a setting up a scope on a air gun ie compressed air, spring or pump accuracy may change a bit when the barrel begins to warm after many shots.. I have mine set to 30 yards cold (for killing rats in the boat yard) ten repetetive shots later I have to aim low left a bit.. We have in our area, a gentle man who has an air gun shop with an assortment of olympic air rifles and also WW2 50cal training air rifle machine gun.. That thing is a blast to shoot.. The RWS I shoot is a 1000fps gun.. Thats one of the reasons for the heavy gr. ammo..
Phoenix for Mrs/ Exocet 200 for me
Vari-zone / CompM3 Aimpoint
Boo strings
STS systems
New and improved,,,,kiss of death bolts...
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Don't know if they still make them, Promethius Pellets, worked pretty darned good for me. I use to chase squirrels using these and they worked very well. They are steel with a plastic sabot(permanently attached).
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
saxman

Post by saxman »

Here is a good site with the high power ones
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=394
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
M&M

Post by M&M »

a couple years ago I looked in to the legality of using one of the new more powerful air rifles for squirrel hunting thought it would be nice and quiet not to mention inexpensive to shoot, so I talked to the ohio dnr. and they said {at that time} that they were not legal to hunt with because they did not meat the leagal definition of a firearm. M&M
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have a Diana model 52 and it cranks them out pretty fast. If I had my druthers I'd go for a 20 cal. Good sectional density and a great killer. I have another hot rod on order but I want a 25 cal some day. One thing to note is that they are not quiet and get a scope with some relief because some of them push back. I like a side lever better than a break barrel. Mine easily kills large birds at 50+ yards with my 2.5 X 10 Elite 4200 if you hit a soft spot. I find that pointed pellets do not put down animals as well as the flatter nosed pellets.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
UrbanSherpa

Post by UrbanSherpa »

Been shooting them since I was a kid. I remember carrying my . 177 thru town when nobody batted an eye! We used to hold the lead pellets in our cheeks while plinking (not kidding!) My air gun was probably my favourite childhood 'toy'. I still have an old Benjamin/Sheridan .22. It has a beautiful nickel plated brass barrel that shoots at 700 fps. My 11yr old son has taken over the rest of my collection.

As for the law... You'll need a PAL in Ontario for anything over 500 fps and I believe you're not allowed to hunt with them ( rimfire only for squirrels, can someone confirm?)

My advise would be to buy a higher-end gun with an 'airgun specific' scope or good peepsite. Don't go any higher than 700-800 fps (accuracy suffers).
Also, a .22 pellet carries more energy when travelling the same speed as the .177.
Exocet 200
LumiZone
FireBolts
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Right now I have a Sheridan Blue Streak in 22 cal but I am interested in the ones with multishot tanks. The one that caught my eye is a Pyramid Dragon Slayer in 50 caliber. The thing I am wondering is how do you charge the tank? Being a wheelchair person I have a hell of a time with bicycle pump gizmo's. I have a two stage compressor in my shopt that will pump 175# pressure. Can I charge the gun with this? I'm not going any further than the backyard so I can recharge easily. I have 1200 acres of woods right behind me so game is plentiful. Airguns sure have taken off in the past few years. Wow! I'm pumped (or I mean I don't want to pump)!

Woops looks like yah either have to have scuba tank or CO2 - Sheesh this new addiction may wipe out the lifes savings. Oh well can't shoot savings!
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

DrDan wrote:Right now I have a Sheridan Blue Streak in 22 cal but I am interested in the ones with multishot tanks. The one that caught my eye is a Pyramid Dragon Slayer in 50 caliber. The thing I am wondering is how do you charge the tank? Being a wheelchair person I have a hell of a time with bicycle pump gizmo's. I have a two stage compressor in my shopt that will pump 175# pressure. Can I charge the gun with this? I'm not going any further than the backyard so I can recharge easily. I have 1200 acres of woods right behind me so game is plentiful. Airguns sure have taken off in the past few years. Wow! I'm pumped (or I mean I don't want to pump)!

Woops looks like yah either have to have scuba tank or CO2 - Sheesh this new addiction may wipe out the lifes savings. Oh well can't shoot savings!
Not being 100% sure of which gun you are talking about, but no. You will need a scuba tank type set up for most pre-charged pneumatics, or be prepared to hand pump a ton.

I've been into these guns since I was a kid, the pick of the litter for me was a Weihrauch [Beemans] 97K in 20 cal. I found that Crosman Premier pellets shot the best in a bunch of different air rifles, followed closely by Marksmans FTS, which were taken over by H&N sometime ago. I had a Bushnell 4-12x AO on the 97k, got 5 shot 10 meter groups around .070" ctc at 780 fps w/ 14.3 gr Premiers. You had to order the pellets from air gun supplier, not available at gun shops, Wal-Mart, ect. The Marksmans were 10.? gr and got just over 800 fps. Shot 11 squirrels in 13 shots one winter while laid up at 50-55 yds.
"Eze 18:21"
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thanks for all the Information especially Saxmans Site he linked for us 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Sopchoppy

air gun

Post by Sopchoppy »

Get a Gamo..... something with at least 1000 fps speed...well made and worth the price. I shoot Logun Penetrator pellets....tried a lot of others but Logun's shoot straight and kill with one shot.....I've shot lots of varmits including racoons.