Illegal Deer Kill

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kyteach

Illegal Deer Kill

Post by kyteach »

Just got in from an illegal deer kill near my land I own. Some young boys kill an eight point on the land I hunt. Called Va Game, but the game warden would not even show up. While I was there, the boys came back to get the deer. Don't know which one I am more angry with, the boys or the game warder that will not even bother to chech it out. Goin to fine a complaint tomorrow. This has been going on in this county for years.
Exomax
Groundpounder mount
Boo Custom String
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thats a shame the warden wouldn't show
Good luck with your complaint.
These boys need to be taught a lesson with some fines and community service and to be taught what a true HUNTER is.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Limbs and Sticks

HEADLIGHTS

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Hi we have the same problem in Westmoreland co. I don't see the shooter bucks that i had been watching. when the season comes in people ask where did they go? They are already dead.

Feel your pain Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wabi

Post by wabi »

Here in Ohio they passed a new law this year setting a fixed restitution value to be added to fines for game poached. It would be very expensive to get caught poaching now! Bucks are rated by antler size, and the maximum fine could run several thousand dollars. A score over 175 B&C would have a restitution value of $8,585.00!
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

Fines

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Hell ya OHIO :D :D :D
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
mikej

Post by mikej »

they wouldn't get away with that in ontario there would be fines and bans from hunting it happens all the time never to me but i know people who have and it makes them think twice about doing it again
Grizzly Adam

Re: Illegal Deer Kill

Post by Grizzly Adam »

kyteach wrote: Don't know which one I am more angry with, the boys or the game warder that will not even bother to chech it out.
Hey, Kyteach ...

Welcome to the forum! :D

In most states, you don't have to have a warden to pinch someone doing that ... sheriff's deputies and state troopers will do it too ... at least around here they will. The agencies cooperate, in most places. Maybe that's true where you are, too.

By the way ... I know lots of people in southwest Virginia, especially in the Bland/Tazewell/Buchanan county area ... particularly in the Burke's Garden and Clear Fork communities in Tazewell. Where do you hail from?
Grizz
kyteach

Illegal Deer Kill

Post by kyteach »

We did call the county police. They did not want to come either, but after a little debate from my friend who is a close friend of the High Sheriff, they came. They followed up today. Am told that arrest will be made.
I know one of the kids. I coached him in baseball. I guess that there is a lesson here for us fathers. Spend lots of time with you children, even if you are no longer with the mother and teach your kids to hunt legally and to respect the outdoors.

By the way Grizzly Adam, I am in Dickenson Co.
Exomax
Groundpounder mount
Boo Custom String
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I think you could have made a citizens arrest.

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Ah, yes! Dickenson County ... a wonderful piece of topography!

Do you live anywhere near Breaks Interstate Park? I've been there ... and down a number of back-roads in Dickenson.

Love Dr. Ralph Stanley!
Grizz
Country

Post by Country »

Im from Warren county, Va. and I have the same problem. A number of the folks around me don't pay any attention to seasons or bag limits. If they run out of meat they just go shoot another one which is generally after dark with a spot light. When questioned about it they claim they need the meat to feed their families. They don't seem to be going after trouphy bucks, any deer will do. They make out like it's no big thing and none of my business anyway. I can't speak for the game wardens as I haven't spoken to one in 20 years but I think the wardens are more concerned with poaching rings and kids fishing on the river without a license and having a joint in their pocket. I'd have to check the regs but I think were allowed to kill one or two deer per day from October to January on private property. With bag limits like that, someone popping one off out of season doesn't raise an eye brow and isn't worth the gas money to investigate. Personnely, I think I should be able to hunt when ever I want to on my farm. I guess I could get Dmap tags to do that and might persue it. Rest assured, Im not going to go out and shoot up all 30 of my deer herd. It costs me plenty in money and time to keep them in food, water, and mineral licks. I sort of think of them like cattle in that I should be able to harvest them when I want and shoot them over licks if I feel like it. The deer on my farm are fearless. I have to shoo them out of the way just to mow the grass which is why I go other places to actually hunt. I prefer hunting when the game atleast runs away from you other wise it's just shooting not hunting.