Talisman Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Talisman Crossbows

Post by Boo »

Does anyone know anything about this crossbow? I've been contacted by the owner to do you know what and would like some opinions and any background information(first hand only) about these awesome looking bows.
http://www.talismancrossbows.com/
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Stash

Post by Stash »

He's posted on ArcheryTalk a few times.

There's some debate as to whether this "Mantis" is really a "crossbow", as it's more of a catapult. The limbs are rigid and pivot on axles, and are powered by a huge spring in the stock.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Stash, is it legal as a bow here?
Stash

Post by Stash »

That's what the debate is.

He posted asking about speeds - it was pointed out that anything over 500 fps was considered a "firearm" in Canada.

I don't know exactly what the Ontario laws say regarding the definition of a crossbow - if it needs to have the energy come from flexing limbs or not. I guess someone should look and see if there's a legal definition of "crossbow". Nothing in the regulations summary, that's for sure.

Every common definition I've read for "crossbow" refers to a bow placed horizontally (tansversely) across a stock, and every definition of a "bow" uses the term "flexible" regarding the limbs. The energy of the weapon is stored in the flexible limbs.

I'm of the opinion that this Talisman Mantis is NOT a crossbow, but a form of catapult. I know the inventor disagrees.

Check out the discussion in the Crossbow forum on ArcheryTalk. (Type "Talisman" into the search function - there are several threads.)
Boo

Post by Boo »

Thanks Stash, you've been a lot of help. Sure look expensive! But very cool.
Skarek

Post by Skarek »

Why would you shoot 500fps? Why not just get heavier arrows?

If you studie medieval crossbows they were sometimes enormously powerful (1200 pounds etc), but the arrows they shoot are very heavy so it seems that all bows use arrowspeeds between60-90 m/s.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Boo . . .you need one of those for the midnight shoots. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

yep......as said, there are a large number of posts on archerytalk.com re these bows.

The max 500 fps debate (for Canada) is not quite a fact as there is nothing to support this other than the airgun restriction.

There may be other obstacles to overcome for this bow to be legal (for hunting) depending on the jurisdiction............i.e., the energy from these bows is stored in springs (not the limbs)...the limbs do not flex. It all comes down to how crossbow equipment is defined in your hunting regs.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The inventor is in England where there is no bow hunting of any type. He apparently also makes some conventional xbows. He refused to post arrow weights or chrony speeds at the last I knew, but rather compared the arrow flight to his pellet guns speed, lol.

He has since rigged the thing to shoot bullets, in effect making an actual "crossgun", a term the anti inclusion types are very fond of.

I believe he's using spring pistons like air rifles to move the pivoting limbs, much like turning two break barrel air rifles on their sides, tying a string to near the muzzles, and then pulling the trigger while they are in the "broke open" position.

He's not doing the xbow movement any good, the anti inclusion types are already referring to his site like you can soon get these at Wal-Mart.

He could not care less.
"Eze 18:21"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It's an interesting weapon. Most hunting regs just state "crossbow" without giving a definition. However, if you look up the definition in any dictionary, then it's not piston driven.

Looking at the website, doesn't look like they are all "piston driven", are they?

Cool looking, custom made weapons. $2000 and up. Boy, I wish I had $2000 to spend on a freaky, wicked looking weapon. :lol:

Out of my price range . . .when will the Chinese start making these? :lol: :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

A lot of us are waiting for a video of it shooting. So far nothing but excuses. They don't have access to a video camera. They're making the claimed top of the food chain xbow that sells for thousands of dollars and don't have a $100 camcorder or PC to make a 3 min Youtube video?

They had some still pics on AT and the fletch wasn't correct for the rail or far enough from the end for the butt of the arrow to rest in the receiver correctly. Also they had several different arrows in the pics. I asked on that and they had some lame excuse. I get the impression it's some poor mans operation trying to make the big time. That's fine everyone has to start somewhere. Just don't BS me.

Then there is the attitude of those representing it. It got so bad on another xbow forum they said no more Mantis posts - period. Nuff said on that.

I don't think we'll be seeing one in WalMart or any mart anytime soon.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Pretty wild looking
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

WOW did you check out the weight on the beast? 20 lbs seem a little on the heavy side to be holding steady... but boy does it look awesome!
Team Dryfire
ManX

Post by ManX »

Should be considered the evolution of xbow?
Shall we take back the first place to the fire arms after 6 century? :wink:
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ManX850/exorealtree-1.jpg[/img] ExomanX, Meopta 3100,[url=http://www.wolfszeit.com/images/WO.Mo.09-li..JPG]Wolfszeit[/url] scope mount, produce in ManX Factory spa: shock absorbers, 48 fff , 2216xx78 27% foc
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

What century is this. :o I feel like I just woke up in old England near the Shire. ( sorry that';s the Hobbit) Wow what a peice of machinery. Does it come with a motor for recoking? Not sure I could shoot that one all day.
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows