string stretch

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

inmysights

string stretch

Post by inmysights »

I recently put a new factory dacron string on my xbow and it keeps stretching even after a couple of adjustments. Is there a point where you can be putting too many twists in the string?. I must be around 8 twists at this point. Thanks
inmysights

string stretch

Post by inmysights »

Deleted my subsequent post. Don't need I.T. person. Need to get my eyes
checked HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

No I don't believe there is a maximum amount of turns. I have to put a turn or two in every week or so and have been doing it since last fall and still using same "Boo" string. Can't seem to wear it out!
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
wabi

Post by wabi »

Dacron will stretch, it's just it's nature. It will stretch quite a bit at first, then slow down.
You should have no problems with 8 twists in the string, actually, that is about what I like on my strings for the Excalibur.
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

Get yourself a Boo string and a Groundpounder top mount
I really believe in these products.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Just looked over my records and the most twists I put on the factory string is 15. I had two with 15 twists. This is rare on a new string because they are generally made short enough to where twisting isn't required until after 100 shots. The two I had 15 twists on were on their second serving, so, they were broke in(had over 400 shots on them).

The only issue you will have with "over twisting" a string is when it makes the loops too tight to make your twist and get it on the limb. That would take a lot of twists. Basically, a string would have to be made too long. Also, that wouldn't be an issue with a endless loop string.

What you could have is a string that gets wadded and that would decrease your arrow speed. That would take a ton of twists too.

OK . . .don't worry about the twists. Yes, there is a limit, but, I doubt you will reach it. I hope the "too much information" didn't confuse you as much as it did me. :shock: I got to stop typing and thinking at the same time. :roll:

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
HW

Post by HW »

[quote]I hope the "too much information" didn't confuse you as much as it did me. I got to stop typing and thinking at the same time. [quote]

Scott, were you trying that Screach again.
HW
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

HW . . .I wish that were the case . . . :lol:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
inmysights

Post by inmysights »

Thanks to all who responded. Keep up the great work in helping all us newcomers . Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.
Strikenmike

string stretch

Post by Strikenmike »

Greetings:

My new Phoenix has two lines on the rail to align the string. When I put my new string on it was above the top line. Now it is about in the middle (maybe 20 shots and strung for 3 dayys). As a general rule, where do I want to keep my string relative to the two lines?

Thanks,
Mike
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.
wabi

Post by wabi »

The closer to the bottom line, the more velocity (very small gain in fps) but the top line (farthest from riser) is usually the best for less noise & vibration.
I keep mine right on the top line, and never let it get more than a string width below it.
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

The general thought is to keep it about a string width below the upper line. I like mine there mostly because it is less noisy and seems smoother on the shot. In reality you can keep it anywhere as long as the string does not hit the riser. If the string does hit the riser you will see wax deposited where the string hits, the bow will get really noisy and damage the string.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikej

Post by mikej »

i keep mine at 1 1/8"
Strikenmike

Post by Strikenmike »

Sting hitting the riser....now there is something new to worry about.

Which is more likely to hit the riser, a tight string or a loose string?

I can see a couple of small wax marks on my riser now.

Thanks,
Mike
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Mike . . .the answer is a long string. The shorter you make it, the less likely it will hit the riser. Just because you have wax on the riser doesn't mean the string is actually hitting. The wax can and does fly off the string and serving, you will see it on your limbs too. You can put baby powder on the serving and shoot . . .it will leave a mark on the riser if hitting. Clean the riser before you shoot. Keep tightening the string until it doesn't hit.

I could hear mine slapping when I had the issue. I put a dampener system on the bow and have not had a problem since.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen