question re: FFF strings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MPSNIPER

question re: FFF strings

Post by MPSNIPER »

Hey guys & gals, just a quick rundown on my background as well as a question. I've been surfing this site for the past month or so, but this is the 1st time I've actually taken to time to ask a question. I'm closer to 50 yrs old than really want to admit and although somewhat new to the xbox - I've hunted with a PSE compound off and on since 1978. I own 300 acres + that I rifle hunt on as well, and shot my first buck way back in 1976. Three years ago I bought an exocet200 - missed hunting with it the first year as I had to have surgery and the xbow thing was out of the question. Hunted the past couple of years but have yet to launch a bolt at one big enough. I've shot a pile of deer with the rifle and have become very selective at the size of deer I take off my land.
Anyways, enough of that, I do have a question that seems kind of silly asking, but from what I've read there are a lot of knowledgable people on this forum so here it goes...
I just bought a new FFF string and when I need to "twist" it to tighten it up, am I suppose to twist even numbers on each end of the string, or just one end?
Thanks for any info you can give.

-Michael.
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

believe you'll find most just apply twists from one end. the important thing is not to twist in wrong direction, which would loosen serving wraps. seem to recall mine came w/ some twists already in them, so would take some effort to go the wrong direction. I also would set mine about 3/8" high [above high line] and leave the bow cocked over night to help stretch them in.
"Eze 18:21"
HW

Post by HW »

Just twist the one end as it will balance itself on its own.
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Like aweshucks said, twist one side, twist in the same direction that the center serving is wound. Look close and you'll be able to see if the center serving is wound clockwise or CC. Do the same.
Good luck. Have gone from rifles, handguns and now CB's. Hunting up close and personal, with only one shot in the bow, is a whole new game. I love it.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

one side, or if you are picky then just do both. It doesnt matter as long as you twist it to tighten. Shoot the bow somemore and you probably find that after another 20 shots you will have to retwist, or if you leave overnight it will have to be retwisted untill its broken in good. Make sure to wax the serving on that string. My FFF strings never seemed to last more than 150 hsots
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

Thanks guys... Greatly appreciate the information. I put the string on tonight and figured it out easily enough.
Plan on shooting it this Saturday. Is there any need to take the string off if the xbow is not being used for a few weeks?

-M
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

leave it on and let it stretch... I only take mine off when seasons over or im done with it untill next year

it only takes a min to put on and take off.. actaully about 10 seconds tops
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum, MPSNIPER! :D

As has been said, one-ended twisting will do! 8)
Grizz
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

welcome to the forum,

I leave mine on almost all year round I'll take it off for a weekend when I'm cleaning it up and relax the limbs. I find when the strings off it's hard to keep it laid out properly to remember the twists, but I don't worry about that too much as it's more important to have the string between the brace marks.

I was shooting 4 inches high as the string was down to the last brace mark, cranked a couple more twists back in the string and it's bang on again.

Cheers and GOOD Shootin'!
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
wabi

Post by wabi »

Any string is going to stretch some when new. Our forum expert (Boo) pre-stretches the flemish strings he makes and that stops the initial "settling in" of the loops to a great degree, but even an endless loop string will stretch some.
With a flemish string that hasn't been pre-stretched the first few (20 or so) shots will ususally cause quite a bit of stretch. I'd keep a close eye on brace height at first. It may require several adjustments before it "settles in" and even then it will stretch a little in the future.
As for leaving it strung, I'm changing my thinking (I used to un-string if I wasn't going to shoot in the next few days) to leave it strung unless it's not going to be shot again for weeks (or even months).
wabi
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

fdegurse wrote:I find when the strings off it's hard to keep it laid out properly to remember the twists
try using a safety pin or a dog lease clip that you can loop each end of the string on to keep them as it came off the limbs that way when you put the string back on you know how it came off..............bob

MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

Thanks a lot guys... I really do appreciate all the responses !! Great to belong to to a forum with so many knowledgeable people.
Good hunting to all.
-Michael