serving size

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter 740

serving size

Post by hunter 740 »

Hey all, looking to reserve my phoenx and would like to know what type and size serving to use.If you guys have any tricks I could use to get a good serving job I'm all ears, do'nt want to waste alot of material since its not cheap.I filed the latch so hopefully the serving will last longer,the factory string has roughly 75 shots on it.I reserve my compound myself so I'm hoping my xbow will be close to the process.
wabi

Post by wabi »

BCY & Brownell both offer crossbow serving.
I have used BCY simply because my local pro shop can get it for me.

One trick is to stretch and serve the string under tension. Boo has made a jig for this, and a pic is in his post - http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... erving+jig
Boo can give more information on the serving he has available on his custom strings, and I can tell you it definitely outlasts the "crossbow serving" sold by BCY, Brownell, and what is on factory strings.

I have also found that on the BCY serving it lasts longer (doesn't separate as bad) when you leave it un-waxed. Not what you would think, and not what you hear, but I've found if I wax it heavily it will start separating (opening up between the wrapped coils) where the claws grab it after only a few shots. Un-waxed BCY serving stays together much better for me.
But with a "Boo custom string" waxing heavily is recommended, and on my Boo strings the serving is holding up fine after dozens of shots.

So if you are going to serve your own strings (or re-serve factory strings) I'd definitely recommend stretching them while serving. Also if you by BCY or Brownell serving, try it without waxing and see if it lasts longer for you, too.
wabi
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I don't know a damn thing about making a string. I was just wondering what part of Ohio your from?
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think Wabi got it pretty much right. I like Halo rather than the other "crossbow serving". The more you stretch your string during serving and the tighter crank the wing nut on the serving tool the less chance of the serving separating wax or not. Of course there is a limit to tension on the serving too and jig and experience is the only teacher.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Like Boo says. The man knows what he's talking about. His unselfish help has made my servings last far better than factory versions.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

hunter . . .I'm guessing you wanted to know if you should buy .30 or .36, right?

I like a serving that is thick enough to make solid contact toward the center of the nock. The number of strands in your string will determine which thickness you can use with a specific serving material. Too thick and you can have too much pressure of serving to rail. Too thin and your serving will make majority of it's contact at the lower half of your nock.

I'm not sure about thickness vs. number of strands . . .maybe Boo can address this issue better.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

sumner4991 wrote:hunter . . .I'm guessing you wanted to know if you should buy .30 or .36, right?

I like a serving that is thick enough to make solid contact toward the center of the nock. The number of strands in your string will determine which thickness you can use with a specific serving material. Too thick and you can have too much pressure of serving to rail. Too thin and your serving will make majority of it's contact at the lower half of your nock.

I'm not sure about thickness vs. number of strands . . .maybe Boo can address this issue better.
I think you know better than I Scott. From Danny Miller's and Scotts efforts they discovered that the skinnier the string the more you need a more narrow serving. I don't have a problem using the thicker serving on the skinny strings. Obviously the thicker the serving the more wear you get out of it assuming the same material is used. The thinner stuff is more difficult to separate by the latches/claws for a couple of reasons. I certainly wouldn't go thinner than .026".
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I perfer the Halo .036 with a FFF string when reserving. The Halo is thick, but, it flattens out some. The flattening helps to keep the claws from penetrating the serving. However, you need to remove the excess wax with a paper towel from the serving area of the string before reserving. The wax prevents the Halo from "biting" and it can slip a little on the wax. If it does slip, then you have separation at the trigger claw. However, this doesn't occur until well after 200 shots, unless you reserve loosely. You need to have that reserving tool as tight as possible and actually pull in the opposite direction of your serving as you serve. You are trying to pack the material as close together as possible.

We are still playing around with some different thicknesses of different material. Some materials work better in wax at a smaller thickness. The thinner serving material bites better. The majestic angel is a very good material. It works great on a Dacron string with a higher number of strands. It is way less likely to separate.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

How do you know which string you have.I've looked in my manual and it doesn't say.I know I had to add a bunch of twist because the string stretched a bunch.By the way I'm from southeastern Oh. so I'll probably have to order the serving so if any body knows what the factory string would be it would help [ number of strands ]
Boo

Post by Boo »

If it came with the bow it is an 32 strand Dacron string which stretches like crazy. The reality is that any crossbow serving will do well on a Phoenix. Just make sure you stretch the string for a period of time (at least 30 minutes and the longer the better) and serve the string as tight as you can get it by hand.
Below are a couple of Flemish strings as opposed to an endless loop string.
[img][img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/ ... G_0970.jpg[/img][/img]
Here's a strong and cheap serving jig of my design.
[img][img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/ ... G_0942.jpg[/img][/img]
hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

Thanks Boo I got to get it ordered season opens in a week
gshunter

Post by gshunter »

Where do you get the .036 Halo serving? i can only find .030.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

gshunter . . .sorry, Halo's largest size is .030. I mainly shoot the servings to death . . .Danny Miller and Don make them.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Strikenmike

Post by Strikenmike »

Doe anyone know of someone that has experimented with some sort of solid material for the center serving? Perhaps one of the new shrink plastic products like they use for electrical connections or even some form of metal tubing.

Just wondering.

I can already tell that string/serving management is going to be a significant issue with my Phoenix. Brand new strings breaking for no apparent reason, servings coming apart after 200 shots, doing a lot more serving, building jigs, buying extra strings and spools of serving material, etc. I never had these issues with my compound bow. Change the string every three years, keep it waxed and I was good to go.....

Oh well, I do like the way it shoots.

Later,
Mike
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.