Question for anyone who has the top quiver mount......

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Question for anyone who has the top quiver mount......

Post by wabi »

.....like this one listed on eBay.

I was looking at it, but thought it just might interfere with using the rope cocking aid?
wabi
DH

Post by DH »

No problem using the rope cocking on mine. Make sure the screws where the quiver mounts to the bracket aren't sticking through, I destroyed a string within three shots. Wyvern then sent me a spacer to raise it up some and within another three shots the string had some light freying before I figured out the screws were sticking out a bit and I mean very slightly, could barely feel them. I ground them off a bit and have about sixty to seventy shots with no probs.
Hipwader

Post by Hipwader »

Wabi - Heres my 2 cents...

Looking at the picture the quiver only attaches to the right side which..in my opinion..would make the crossbow unbalanced. I aswell as others, use the Groundpounder which attaches to both left and right sides and balances the bow perfectly. No problems with the rope cocking aid either...as I stated just my 2 cents..hope it helps..

Hipwader
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Hipwader wrote:Wabi - Heres my 2 cents...

Looking at the picture the quiver only attaches to the right side which..in my opinion..would make the crossbow unbalanced. I aswell as others, use the Groundpounder which attaches to both left and right sides and balances the bow perfectly. No problems with the rope cocking aid either...as I stated just my 2 cents..hope it helps..

Hipwader
X 2. I love my Groundpounder mount.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
sunset

Post by sunset »

I'd suggest you consider the Groundpounder mount, highly recommended. :D
mikej

Post by mikej »

i like danny millers mount. my dad has one on his bow. works great and add very little weight. i have one one the way right now. nothing against the groundpouner mount i haven't tried it.just my 2 cents
Boo

Post by Boo »

Good luck cocking that bow by hand after you get your bracket made. It certainly is a slick looking bracket and well made but to me it only makes sense if you don't think you'll ever cock your bow by hand. My 2 cents CDN.
Last edited by Boo on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I too enjoy the Groundpounder mount, I am a sucker for symmetry and like the balance. Also, and more importantly it keeps the arrows out of the way when you push your way through the thicks.
The only downside is that it can not be used with the rangefinder mount, which I also like to use.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

Thanks for the replies.
I had a Dan Miller mount, and it worked fine for me - I just decided to use my hip quiver instead.
The groundpounder mount looks sturdy and secure, I just didn't want a setup where I have to load the arrows through the "hole" it forms by having two mounting posts. Just too easy for me to nick something with a sharp broadhead. :wink:
Boo,
I had the same thoughts when I looked at this mount. Just seems like everything is jammed up pretty close. I was wondering how tight the arrow fletching would be to the scope, too?
DH,
Thanks for the input from your experience. Hadn't really considered that aspect, but it does look like it might be pretty close to the string.

Perhaps the old hip quiver is still my best option. :wink: :D

BTW - My buddy who bought a Phoenix after he shot mine at the bench (3 arrows in the same hole) made a mount using only one post in one hole through the riser. We discussed it quite a bit and I suggested milling a groove in the bottom of the post for a neoprene O-ring to squeeze down and prevent the post from rotating. He's used it for a year now and so far no problems. I may turn one for myself and give that design a try. :roll:
wabi
Wyvern Crossbow

Post by Wyvern Crossbow »

Looking at the picture the quiver only attaches to the right side which..in my opinion..would make the crossbow unbalanced

Actually it mounts on either side and it does not affect balance at all that anyone has commented on. Also, we are now using a slightly taller adapter to add a bit more string clearance, so that issue is not longer a problem. We only had one comment on the string interferance, but one is too many so going to a taller adapter was not a problem. It is designed to be compact and it gives people another option on top mount brackets. We found that the factory Excal quiver, being fairly large, will cause the inner most fletch to almost touch the scope, but a smaller quiver like a Kwikee 3 gives plenty of room. Even with the large quiver it is off to the side of the scope and does not interfere with shooting at all and once you shoulder the bow you dont even notice its there...

Wyvern
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I've got one on both of my bows and I like them a lot.

NO problem with balance at all..

NO problem in cocking - I never cock by hand though.
We found that the factory Excal quiver, being fairly large, will cause the inner most fletch to almost touch the scope, but a smaller quiver like a Kwikee 3 gives plenty of room

I have a 3 and a 4 arrow TenPoint quiver on mine and there is plenty of clearance. Both quivers are light weight.

I think you'll be happy with this mount, Wabi.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I have one on my Exomax now. Prior to it I used the groundpounder mount. Both are good mounts. I don't notice a balance issue at all. A cocked Excal is wide. With the groundpounder mount it is also seems tall. This mount makes the overall bow shorter top to bottom as you are facing it. Using this mount your arrows are more out of the way and less likely to be 'in your face' when you have the bow shouldered.

I always use the rope cocker and have had no issues with it.

I'm using the standard quiver so the fletching on the inside arrow will touch my side scope cap. I keep the fletching turned so they are straddling the cap. I always load that arrow first so it is only an issue during transport. I'm willing to sacrifice that minor issue to consume the least space on the bow.

DuckHunt
DH

Post by DH »

I didn't notice any balance probs at all, if you do just remove the quiver it only takes three seconds. As for cocking by hand no prob with quiver removed , again three seconds to remove although I've only use the cocking aid.
As for all you guy's bashing this mount don't knock till you've tried it. I also have a Ground Pounder mount which is also a very fine mount but it also has limitations.
Last edited by DH on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strikenmike

top quiver mount

Post by Strikenmike »

It looks like the Groundpounder might interfere with sighting through a scope. Yes or no?
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

No. Don't see any of the mount when I look through my scope.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire