excal rope cocker

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

excal rope cocker

Post by crazyfarmer »

a buddie got his bow the other day and the rope cocker that came with it(excal brand) is way sort. I know on mine 3 years ago you had to tie the rope off and you could fit it to the string. But with his, you have to actaully pull the string up 5-6 inches to get it into the hooks. Are those the normal ones now? I know it was a PITA pulling the string up to use his rope cocker so we had to use the one I had.

just checking to see if they are all short now?

anyhow we got his equinox dialed in in 6 shots at 30 yards.. needless to say he's sold on excal and should be signing up here shortly
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

The one on my exomax I have to pull up about 4-5 inches, and I bought a new one for my wifes exocet and we have to pull the sting up about half way the rail to hook it on, I thoughtit was kinda short but it still works.
mikej

Post by mikej »

the one i have you have to pull up 5 or 6 inches too
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

The one that came with my Exomax requires 5-6 inch pull on string to get the hooks on. I hook ones side at a time. Always right side first so shoots same every time.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Makes it a lot easier to cock with a shorter string, since the hardest part of the pull is when the elbows are bent past 45 degrees; not to mention easier on the back.
Sopchoppy

rope cocker

Post by Sopchoppy »

The one that came in my Right Stuff Pkg. last year was a bit long for me and my Vortex. I'm short and the Vortex is 1" shorter than the other Excal's so I had to take it up a notch or two. Now, I have to pull the string up about 2-3" and can cock it without having my arms over my head and bending backwards!!! :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

when i bought my rope cocker from Dan Miller. it was long enough i cut it in two and have the other half saved for when this rope wears out. have mine adjusted so i pull up 6 to 8". makes it so much easier to cock for me
mikej

Post by mikej »

i didn't think of that making it easier to cock because of not having to pull as high. good idea
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

They're easy to adjust ... all you need is some rope of the same type and the ability to tie a knot! :D :wink:
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

http://excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/listi ... gory_id=47

Scroll down to Rope Cocking Aid and watch the video. It explains the advantages of a shorter rope. :wink:
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

A side benefit is that you can keep the rope on the bow when not in use. Mine rides that way to the stand, in the truck or 4 wheeler and on my back.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I have mine so I only have to pull the rope up 1inch.. if you are over 6ft tall, its suks bending over to pull the rope up 6inches :lol:

i guess this really depends on your height. A shorter person will perfer the shorter rope, but a taller person needs the longer version :lol:
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mine is just the length it takes to pull the string up securely and keep the rope cocker in place in the field. No issues with cocking it for me.
Grizz
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

If the rope is that short it may have been shortened, for several years we have left the ropes quite long because it's a heck of a lot easier to shorten them than to lengthen them.
That said, I always advise people to run the rope short enough that the second hook comes about to the front of the hold-down spring. This accomplishes several things....It makes your crossbow easier to cock since your hands don't move as high, it allows you to leave the cocker in place on the bow where it won't fall off, and it makes the cocker shorter so there is less rope to get tangled or knotted.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Bill T wrote:If the rope is that short it may have been shortened, for several years we have left the ropes quite long because it's a heck of a lot easier to shorten them than to lengthen them.
That said, I always advise people to run the rope short enough that the second hook comes about to the front of the hold-down spring. This accomplishes several things....It makes your crossbow easier to cock since your hands don't move as high, it allows you to leave the cocker in place on the bow where it won't fall off, and it makes the cocker shorter so there is less rope to get tangled or knotted.
Bill, thats about how I have mine. Its long enough to reach the string, but I still have to pull the string barely up to lock it in place. That way it will stay there if needed. He got this one with the package and didnt touch the rope. I just noticed it when i went to use it on his bow and you had to pull the string up a good 6inches to reach the hooks. He said it will work fine, but I just wanted to see if the ropes came that short. As you said, i had to tie mine since I had a good 8-10inches of rope not needed but that was 3 years ago.

I will say he's very impressed by your bows though;)