Should I make the crossbow stock longer?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Skarek wrote: These recoil pads some of you were talking about. Are there any versions of these where you don't have to modify the stock to get them on?
Looking again at your pic, you do need to move your scope forward. If you still don't find it comfortable, you could use a slip-on or lace-on recoil pad to see if that helps.

You've gotten a variety of responses reflecting different views. I wouldn't expect any great agreement on this question.

It boils down to this: Beyond some basic rules, the stock that fits you is the one that you find comfortable and that you shoot well consistently.

That buttstock needs to be firmly seated when you shoot, and your eye-relief needs to be properly adjusted. If you can accomplish that by sliding your scope forward, and can live with the way it feels, your troubles are over.

Remember, most as-supplied stocks are a compromise.

On a humorous note, I know one rifle which features a length-of-pull that is entirely wrong for me. My younger brother has an as-issued Chinese SKS, and when I shoulder it, the rear of it's massive receiver is about 1/4" from my right cheekbone! :shock:

VERY disconcerting to hear that bolt slamming the rear of the receiver. It literally rings my teeth.

So, you see, sometimes size does matter.

OK ... let the Enzyte jokes roll, boys. 8) :wink:
Grizz
Skarek

Re: page 4

Post by Skarek »

dutchhunter wrote:go to page 4 ready to hunt and look at the pics
May I ask what page 4?
bstout wrote:The thumbhole stock versions of the models they're available in have shorter overall lengths. Since the main frames and the risers/limbs are all the same, (Exomax same as Equinox except for stock) this says the thumbhole stocks are indeed shorter in length than the standard stock.
One of the reasons I went with a standard stock.

Thanks for all the answers. I'll tweak the scope position some and see If that helps. Otherwise I'll try a slip on recoil pad.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

He meant the thread "ready to hunt" on page 4. another fellow added an inch [25mm, lol] to his stock via recoil pad. Here's a link to the thread:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=23146
"Eze 18:21"