What do you wash your hunting clothes with?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

watamach

Post by watamach »

I use non-allergenic laundry detergent. Its $6 for a big jug and it has zero scent and is not hard on your hunting gear. Thats all that wildlife research and gimmick soaps like that are. I wear a scent blocker suit (put in dryer to activate carbon before each use) and put it in a tupperware container with 3 scent wafers from hunters specialties when not in use. I have been downwind to deer many times and been busted less times then I fool them.
wabi

Post by wabi »

bob1961 wrote:i use plain ol arm & hammer baking powder, an old plastic 1/2 cup measuring scoop for each wash....walmart has a 2lb box of it in the house hold chemicals section the size of a box of pancake mix for under 3.00 bucks that lasts over 2 years for me.............bob

Same thing I use!
wabi
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I have some uv/scent killing hunters soap from years ago. I use it on my camo just in case. I use Scentblocker carbon camo. I never wash it though unless it has gotten wet/muddy. I keep it in an air tight box year round with some fresh earth wafers, they are cleaner than dirt and pine needles. All of the clothes I wear under the camo are washed with regular All or arm and hammer perfume and dye orbrightener free detergent.

I've wondered how warm a wet suit would be in the fied but I can't see myself trying it. I have concidered hunting one spot though with waders. It is a narrow creek with 4' banks. All of the ridges around, end in points along the creek. The ridges are covered with realy thick pine thickets except for the points that have mature and small oaks that run in a strip down the creek. The deer like to bed on the edge of the two because they have lots of nuts and cover in easy reach. You can't sneak up on them because it is to thick in the pines and the oak leaves on the ground are too thick and noisy to get close. If I wore waders I could sneak down the creek silently and hidden while maybe having my scent channel straight down the creek bed. It is tempting.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
TYE

Post by TYE »

bstout wrote:
TYE wrote:I wash mine with BLOOD :wink:
It ain't hard to tell you been hangin out with the vert boys! :lol: :wink:
What's that supposed to mean? :P :P
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I use 20 Mule Team Borax. Spray down my clothes on the way into my stand with Scent Away or some other scent destroying product. Then hope the wind doesn't screw around.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Grizzly Adam

Re: coverscents

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Limbs and Bolts wrote: Just my opinion when the wind is wrong its wrong I don't think you rid yourself of all scent. Wes
You've got that right, brother.

Maybe I'll wash mine in DOE PEE this year. :shock: :wink:
Grizz
Limbs and Sticks

scents

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

You would cook in a wetsuit, good way to lose weight. Fishing the upper potomac wading or drifting as long as your in the water it didn't seem to put the deer in panic mood.I fished below Seneca it has islands between VA. and MD. In 1970 I was fishing a old log next to a island bank caught alot of good smallmouth out of it,I'am wading 20feet from the bank,a doe came down the edge of paw paw grove and had her to little ones with me 30ft away. they were no bigger than a rabbit,I watched until dark,I'll never forget it.Put your waders on go up that creek.

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
rickyp

Post by rickyp »

You mean you are suppose to wash your hunting clothes? :oops:

What I do is Run a load of towels in the washer with sports wash and dry them in the dryer I then use the towel to dry off after my shower.
I then use sport wash or some other hunting wash as long as it doesn't have any UV brighteners.
Most non hunting laundry soap even the unscented hyper allergenic ones have UV brighteners in them. I then hang dry my clothes but If it is freezing or going to rain a lot I will pop them in the dryer with a scent wafer Never use the doe in estrous wafer it stinks up the dryer real bad. I use the ceder and pine wafers.

People I will tell you all the sports wash DOES have a scent to it! It isn't very strong but I can smell it. I can smell it on my clothing as well as when my friends use it
maple

Post by maple »

Borax.

No odour, washes clothes clean, cheap.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

as limbs and bolts said, you can spend on the time and cash washing your clothes and if the winds wrong its worthless :D

for my plain jane hunting pants I just throw those in with with what the wife uses. For my scent lock suits, i hardly ever wash them unless they get stinky and bloody. I only use plain water and then a gentle warm dry cycle.

Never used the washes and other things they have there at all... just more money to spend on things. I just hunt the wind and have no issues at all. One of my buddies went out and bought the soaps, wipes, and other stuff... thinking he would see tons of deer. Welp, no deer and money wasted and he wonders why i see so many without using the stuff. Im sure the stuff helps, but I dont bother with any of it