Question About Fletching

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DropTine

Question About Fletching

Post by DropTine »

Im dropping my Gold Tip L2's at a local archery shop to get refletched tommorow. I have right now the factory fletching that come with it but I want to get 2" Blazers. Would it be a better choice than the standard 4"vanes? How bad will I have to reset my scope?

Thanks,

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I think you'll like their performance, esp if your GT's have a brass inserts.
Not likely that your point of impact will NOT be off vertically, may be off a bit on horizontal.
Last edited by Cossack on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

I just recently put 2" Blazers on my GT L2s and I love the way they fly out to 60yds. Make sure you use the Brass inserts as Cossack stated.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The 2" vanes are 17 grains opposed to 34 on the 4", it is unlikely you will have a significant change in your point of impact. If you do notice the change it will not show up until about 30 yards, your 20 should still be the same.
As mentioned it may be wise to switch to the brass too, you will still have favorable results from the 2" with aluminum, but the brass will give more consistent results. Brass will change your point of impact immediately and at all ranges.
Good choice in making the change. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i use them with the alum inserts and love them;)

mine shot about 2inches on average higher at 30 yards
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I took weight off the back end by using the plastic 8 gr nocks combined with the 2" blazers instead of using the brass inserts. I went from a 100 gr tip to a 125 gr. The total weight is a little less than 100 gr tip with a brass insert. This gives me a solid FOC and a tad bit more speed.

That's what I like about building my own arrows. Lots of options and I can fiddle around until I get the results I like. However, I have also found, I just enjoy the fiddling.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

My buddy works at the Outdoor shop and charges me 50cents an arrow and the store is only 5 mins away. Will I be ok with just a standard GT L2 with the alum inserts and 2" blazers?

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release

Rich

Post by Rich »

Matt,

If I remember correctly my GT II's with aluminum inserts and 2" blazers came in right at or under the 350 grain minmum recommended by Excal.

Rich
Rich

Post by Rich »

Matt,

That was with a 100 grain broadhead. I've since switched to brass inserts and have thrown all my aluminum inserts away.

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

DropTine wrote:My buddy works at the Outdoor shop and charges me 50cents an arrow and the store is only 5 mins away. Will I be ok with just a standard GT L2 with the alum inserts and 2" blazers?

Matt
you should be, but I added the 25 grain weight to the tip of mine to help with a little wind. The new firebolts weigh the same as the GT2's with the tip weight. The brass inserts fly very nice though, but to much weight for me..

my GT2's with weight, wraps, and blazers weigh 380grains and have a 14.75 FOC :D

The brass inserts put her up in the 420-440's and a 18% FOC or more
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

When you say to put brass inserts in, does that mean change both inserts at the front and back or just the front or back?

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release