First 3D shoot with my crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

First 3D shoot with my crossbow

Post by DuckHunt »

Today I took the opportunity to enjoy a free 3D shoot put on by one of our local churches. It was the first time I've taken my Exomax through a 3D course. It was interesting getting to shoot numerous different types of 3D targets from 10 yards to almost 50. They had ground level, down a hill, and even elevated shooting positions.

I was glad there were only 30 targets. By the time I got to the last two or three targets cocking the Exomax was becoming a chore even with the rope.

Overall it was great practice. I did determine that I need to sight in again as I was shooting a bit high across the board. I even took my string to reset my brace height about half way through. I tossed another six arrows to dial it in when I got home. I can hit an apple out to 50 yards. In all I shot 40 shots today. I'm worn out. :)

DuckHunt
Limbs and Sticks

3 d

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Hello I've done alot of fishing up your way years ago,lived in MD. then where was this shoot held at,I've been told alot of new homes from point of rocks to Leesburg on up to racetrack use to be real pretty when leaves start to change.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

3d shooting is great . I am out every weekend till the season ends in September .It is great practice for hunting .
mikej

Post by mikej »

sounds fun i have never been
Skarek

Post by Skarek »

I love 3D shooting. One of the things that made me buy my xbow (as I can just dream about hunting).

Didn't you have problems pulling out the arrows? The reason I got a phoenix and not a Exomax was that my friend had one and had real problems geting the arrows out of the 3d-animals. It must have been a fun sight when I and one more guy was lying on a Turkey while he was pulling with his legs to try to get the arrow loose.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Skarek wrote:I love 3D shooting. One of the things that made me buy my xbow (as I can just dream about hunting).

Didn't you have problems pulling out the arrows? The reason I got a phoenix and not a Exomax was that my friend had one and had real problems geting the arrows out of the 3d-animals. It must have been a fun sight when I and one more guy was lying on a Turkey while he was pulling with his legs to try to get the arrow loose.
I realize the trouble you just went through to build your arrow puller, gawd, love a fellow tinkerker, :) but those arrow pulling pliers that Danny Miller makes and sells allow you to twist the arrow a tad to break the bond w/ target and makes pulling much easier. If you have Wal-marts in Sweden, you might try spraying your shafts w/ "Jigaloo" have read lots of good things about it from guys I respect but haven't tried it personally, have some slickem type stuff i spent a lot of time finding and am too bull headed to change til it's gone.
"Eze 18:21"
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

L&B: The shoot was at a Church off Flowing Springs Road between Charles Town and Shepherdstown.

Sharek: There were a couple that were interesting to retrieve. It was interesting to get to 'field test' so many types and brands of targets. One turkey that I shot stopped the arrow with less than a foot of penetration. It had a different foam construction. Arrow removal was very easy. They had porcupines, ground hogs, fox, bear, wolf, deer and turkey.

One deer was a moving target in brush. They had the 3D target suspended by wires on a makeshift track from a garage door setup. Just hit the garage door opener to start the deer in motion. It was pretty cool.

One target was behind a log. The bottom third of the vitals were obscurred. There were a few carbon arrows that were collected by the log.

They had a bonus shot at a pumpkin that was at least 70 yards away. They had a styrofoam backstop that was about 10 feet tall by 6 feet wide and about 2 feet thick. My arrow only had about 1" sticking out.

They also had a William Tell setup. An apple on a pumpkin at about 40 yards. You got 10 bonus point for hitting the apple or minus 5 for hitting the pumpkin. I missed the apple by a hair. The arrow disappeared inside the foam. Fortunately it was sticking about six inches out the back side. I had to pull it through.

The Glendel Buck is very nice. It stops solid and arrow removal was very easy. I guess you get what you pay for.

DuckHunt