Wax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

brokebow

Wax

Post by brokebow »

I see that Excall sells wax for the string and the rail,I use just plain wax that you buy for any bow strings. Is there a difference?So far it seems to work real good. But I have only shot my Vortex 200 or so times.I wax the serving every 5 or 6 shots and the rail ,when it looks like it needs it. Some comments. Jerry
Jerry
mikej

Post by mikej »

i use the excal wax it works good and i also spray my rail with jig a loo it works great really make the rail slick. i would think any wax is better then no wax
Boo

Post by Boo »

Excal's wax although a simple formula works fine. You need to wax just the serving during shooting and the whole string after you finished shooting.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Strikenmike

Waxing

Post by Strikenmike »

Boo:

On this thread you said wax the serving when shooting, and the string when you finish shooting. Do you literally mean wax the string every time you finish shooting, eg. practice, a hunting trip, etc?

I thought others have said that you only wax the servings on a crossbow string NOT the string. Have I misunderstood?

Just mounted a new FFF string. It is quite sticky. How should this string be maintained?

Can I use the wax I used on my compound bow?

Thanks, Mike
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.
dutchhunter

wax

Post by dutchhunter »

i wax my string after shooting but never wax the rail .my rail stays clean and dry all the time. I just hate having wax all over the rails thy just collect debrie keep them clean and dry .lots of wax on the string and servings my 2 cents DUTCH
Boo

Re: Waxing

Post by Boo »

Strikenmike wrote:Boo:

On this thread you said wax the serving when shooting, and the string when you finish shooting. Do you literally mean wax the string every time you finish shooting, eg. practice, a hunting trip, etc?

I thought others have said that you only wax the servings on a crossbow string NOT the string. Have I misunderstood?

Just mounted a new FFF string. It is quite sticky. How should this string be maintained?

Can I use the wax I used on my compound bow?

Thanks, Mike
Mike, you wax the string after shooting, serving and all so that it soaks into the stands of the string. If you put the wax on just before shooting the wax will end up on the limbs. It certainly isn't necessary after hunting if you've shot it once but if you shoot lets say 50 shots oe more at a target it's not a bad idea to wax the string before you put the bow away. The wax not only lubricates the stands to prevent abraision but it is also there to stop the string from holding moisture as well as lubricate the contact between the string. The "wax" for a compound bow string works well. Waxing in excess is better than waxing too little.
brokebow

Post by brokebow »

So you are telling me to wax the serving and string but not the rail? Jerry
Jerry
Boo

Post by Boo »

That is correct. Keep the rail clean with something like silicone spray. Hehehe watch some guy from a mental institution is going to say something like Jig A Loo. Just ignore them and they'll go away, LOL!
saxman

Post by saxman »

I wax my serving after about every 10 shots or whenever it looks like it needs it.
I wax the entire string,loops and all after every day of shooting when I am putting the bow away

I use the Excal wax
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
mikew

Post by mikew »

Jerry - you got it!
-Mike
Strikenmike

Post by Strikenmike »

Saxman:

Do you remove the string to wax the loops? I hate removing and installing the string, even with a stringer.

Thanks to all for the information.

Mike
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.