How do I remove a nock already glued in?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Northerner

How do I remove a nock already glued in?

Post by Northerner »

I have some Carbon shafts that already have a flat nock in and want to remove them and try a Lumenok.

Any suggestions or know how?

I have a T-puller and thinking boiling water?
beerwolf

Post by beerwolf »

take a feild point and put in the vice, then heat the threads with a propane torch until medium hot, screw in the nock on your bolt give a twist then pull.
Hawt Wrods Plastic Welding
If it Aint Broke you dont need me, But if it is call me.
Exomax
WMU 92
Rich

Post by Rich »

Heat up a field tip with a torch/lighter and screw it into the nock, clamp the field tip into a vice and give it a tug. The nock should pull out.

Rich
Rich

Post by Rich »

Beerwolf beat me to the punch, there were no replies when I posted.

Rich
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A longer, thinner screw to replace the field point will transfer the heat a bit faster, also lets you keep the flame a bit farther form the carbon, you sure don't want to get that stuff hot.
A screw that I found that works and is easy to get a hold of is the ones that are used to anchor things to the ceiling, usually a long screw (4") with a hook on the end that holds up stuff like hanging plants, easy to find in a hardware store, or you can do as I did, just pull down one of the wifes plants and hope she doesn't notice. She will, but you will be able to remove the nock/insert without damaging the shaft with heat.
Not all glues can be released with heat, the factory stuff is pretty easy, a few seconds of heat, then you see a small tuft of smoke and it slides right out, but a lot of the aftermarket stuff simply wont let go and you can and will do damage to the fibers of the arrow shaft. I have wrecked two, pulling too soon before the glue released, the insert came out attached to a bunch of fibers, like little strings. 2 out of the many, many I have done isn't so bad though, both were impatient mistakes, my specialty.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Worked like a charm!

Thanks very much. :D