Plasma Vs. LCD televisions?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Plasma Vs. LCD televisions?

Post by Pydpiper »

Got a call today, won a plasma TV. I have the option to upgrade to larger one but in looking I see there is LCD as well as Plasma. Anyone know the difference, longevity of it's life and anything else?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

from what i know lcd has a longer life
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I would choose the LCD..... If by chance, something was to go wrong with the picture,,, from what I have been told, it is much easier and cheaper to repair LCD
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

ya, it has just a big florescent lamp that lights up the picture that is about the most that can go wrong with it and i hear it is cheap to replace.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

I just bought an LCD. Two reasons,first, proven technology, second plasma doesn't seem to absorb light as well as lcd, so you get glare from lights and windows in the room on the screen. If you go to a show room you can see lights and lighted signs reflections on the screen, not near as much with lcd. But since you won it and it's FREE why worry about it.
And by the way , congradulations on your win.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
mikej

Post by mikej »

david all of the info above is accurate. lcds have alot longer life and are more time tested and proven as well they are cheaper to repair if you have a problem and a simpler design. as well they handle well lit areas alot better then plasmas. i have an 42" toshiba lcd i love it. i install both daily and i highly recomend lcds over plasmas every time i'm asked. just stick with a good name brand and you'll be fine with whatever you decide to go with. pm me if you have any questions
mikej

Post by mikej »

another little tip no matter which one you go with i recomend staying away from these " high end " or gold series HDMI or component cables that stores charge 100$ and up for they aren't worth the money and will not give you any better picture then the 20 or 30$ cables all they are doing is ripping you off and most places employees are comissioned on selling them. the company i work for sells them and i am supposed to push them but i refuse to push something i don't believe in. i can't rip someone off like that . just my opinion
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Plasma's give you deeper blacks and more natural color. I went that route because to me the LCD's kind of have a bluish cast to them. I like the red warm tones.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I love my Plasma :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Yup Winters are too cold and long around here to dwell on blue cool tones. I'm plasma all the way. Best to just go look at them in a slightly darkened room where you can compare them without the influence of sunlight. I like the plasma picture. Yah they can burn if you play a game where the same image is left on the screen for long times but I don't do that. I got a Panasonic 50 and you can see the striations in the iris of eyes and mascara on ladies eyelashes. High Def is incredible.
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
mikej

Post by mikej »

you can see that with lcd as well
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Yup - the two both have equal resolution. Plasma just does better with blacks and has more reds which I like.
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: My wife bought me a plasma 2 years ago for Xmas so needless to say i luv my plasma! 8)

PS: luv my wife too! :lol:
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I think I am leaning towards LCD at this point, the room it is going to be in has a whole lot of natural light and with three kids I can see it spending a whole lot of time turned on, and it is going to be seeing video games, they don't play them often enough to worry about but their father has been known to turn it on in the wee hours of the morning for some hunting games.
Seems plasma is best suited for rooms with less ambient light, and definitely cost less from an entry level perspective, so LCD may be what would suit this home the best.
The family and I are going out today to do some comparative shopping, that will be the big split of the decision.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

Your on target. I opted for an LCD for the same reason. The room has alot of windows, so the LCD was the way to go. Either way, your in for some great TV!