I'm home

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

In my experience a pop-up type blind needs to be set in place and left for a few days/weeks before hunting deer from it. It's not so much they bust you, but they react to the new addition to the landscape. I like to set my blind(s) and then stay away from them for a week or so. By then the deer have looked them over and usually decided they're nothing to be concerned about. I've shot a few deer from them over the years, and observed a lot more than I've shot. I've had many closer than 10 yards completely ignore the blind.
But if you try to set a blind and hunt from it the same day you're often going to see deer "lock in" on it as soon as they get to where they can see it. Add your scent, sound, and motion and you have a spooked deer.
Of course, not all deer react the same. :wink:

For hunting a new location the same day I much prefer to just "snuggle in" the existing cover without disturbing too much. Most often a weedy/brushy fence row, and simply clear a space big enough to have some ability to move and change positions to be able to cover the likely shooting lanes. Years ago a thin foam cushion or even the ground was plenty to sit on, but today I like one of the low-profile "turkey chairs" to sit on. (the cushion works fine, but it's not graceful to have to roll around on the ground for 5 minutes in order to get your legs under you to get up! :lol: )
I've had deer walk within feet of me while setting in weeds in a fence row and never know I was there. I've also seen a hunting buddy get busted be every deer that entered the field when he tried a chair blind in similar weeds & brush. Deer 100 yards away would step out and stare right at the blind, then avoid it like it held certain death - which, of course, it did. :roll:
One other incident I know of was with one of the little "portable ground blinds", the camo fabric with a few fiberglass stakes that you shove in the ground to make a camo fence around you. The same buddy with the chair blind had one set at the base of a tree and was deer hunting in muzzle loader season. A squirrel was on the ground only feet away foraging for nuts. Something spooked the squirrel and he ran straight into the fabric fence as hard as he could run, bounced off, looked around kind of dazed, then ran for another tree and then proceeded to cuss and scold my buddy for what seemed like forever. :lol: :lol:
wabi
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Glad to hear your back at home Ray. Still finding the time to phone you, after the hunting season might be the ticket.

Natural ground blinds I think are the best. What I'll be doing next week when I'm on holidays, is making a blind from dead logs, branches, gatherings local grasses or herbs and making a 4 sided, with a roof, hut. I will only hunt from this spot 2 or 3 weeks later, to let the deer get comfortable with a change of their enviroment. I will be hunting from these spots well into November, where the temperatures could get down to -15 to - 25 or 30 degrees Celcuis, (dang cold). So what I plan on doing to stop the cold, snow, wind, ect. is to incorporate a plastic liner on the inside or inbetween the walls. The plastic tarp, I'll get from the garbage cans at the local lumber yards. This is the coverings that they wrap around the lifts of lumber, when their shipped from the saw mills.

The best part about building this kind of blind is that there's no unnatural odors, and the permanent blind will never be STOLEN.

Grey Owl
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

There's not much that I'll be able to do this year but I'll try to make a few natural ground blinds while turkey hunting in the spring. We only have a week of archery season left ( I think ) then comes muzzleloader season where I can usually get one from the cab of the truck ( I have a permit ). Like Grizz explained, it's extremely thick around here so roads, powerlines, canals and railroad beds are the places to catch a deer crossing. There are a few places with oak ridges where I dearly love to hunt. Come to think of it, one of my favorite places is a ridge with lots of white oaks with a huge old oak that was blown down during one the hurricanes that I could crawl up into. I can actually drive a 4 wheeler right to it but I would park it a couple hundred yards away. But, I think that I'll just take it easy for a while. Right now I feel like my body and my mind are in "survival Mode", it takes everything that I've got to stay awake :wink: Thanks for the tips.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Glad your home Ray!

Take it easy buddy :D
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D Glad to see you are home Ray .Just take it easy and let things heal right . :D
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

Hey Ray, Hope you feeling better,

A couple of woods we hunt we just sit with our back up against a tree or tucked in between branches of a tree fall, I can't set up tree stands or leave anything in these particular woods as it's real close to the city limits.

I've shot two deer that way, just like hunting turkeys, Just can't move or fidget as much asbeing in a blind or up a tree,
Frank and a 2005 Exomax