O/T Fenix Flashlights

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

O/T Fenix Flashlights

Post by DrDan »

For years I was a SureFire flashlight collector - I sold a few and am down to three now, but man I have made a discovery! SureFire is expensive as heck and I had someone tell me to try Fenix. I went for the Fenex P3D which uses the new Cree diode. This is the brightest light I have ever owned. At 100 yards it lights it up like daylight and it has SOS mode, strobe mode, turbo mode and three or four output levels at lower setting. Incredible light and now they are on sale since they are dicontinuing this light. $53 and you got the greatest light you can imagine in your shirt pocket!

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_inf ... cts_id=227
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Normous

Post by Normous »

Pydpiper turned me on to those. I quickly accumulated 3 of those (P3D- 123. The best I ever SAW.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i own both Fenix E01B,Fenix L2d and am very pleased with both
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I just ordered a TK10 (wow 220 lumens!!!) and also a TK10 which is nice since it will use AA batteries and I want to see what the white light will do.

A man can never have enough flashlights! I carry about three or four all the time.

And then there are the coyote lights! I use Lightforce lights. I have the SL 240 Blitz which will light her up out to about 800 yards and an RMSM140 with scope mount with red lens. Of course they aren't pocket lights. I carry a spare deep cycle in my ATV for those bad boys. If you do any night hunting you will love "LightForce" lamps.
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_71

I love my L2d CE light plenty of light and bright and clear..with the ability to tone it down for the low light entry..also you can get a red lens for it I like mine 100% you wont be disapointed..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hope you are right about the quality. I ordered an LD-20 to try. 8)
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_inf ... cts_id=362
wabi
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Wabi

You are gonna love that sucker! I got a three cell Surefire that I always carry in my wheelchair and I rarely ever even get it out anymore. The light I grab when I want to check out the deer population in the back 40 is the Fenix P3D. It is 160 lumens I believe and I lost control and just bought the new 220 lumen TK10 then I figured what the heck... Added on a TK20 too. Ok now I'm broke again. Oh well I love having lots of light power in my pocket.

Fenix is the Excalibur of lights, Surefire is the TenPoint of lights. Get the drift? Surefire is expensive and does a good job but Fenix is just as good for lots cheaper!

Oh yes if you buy lights that thake the 123 cells order them from Surefire. They are cheap through them and a frigging fortune in Lowes or Radio Shack.

PS DON'T ever look at them Cree LEDs when they are burning. You'll see spots for a good two or three hours. I use them lots when looking at various conditions in dogs and cats and boy you can really see things that you will never see with a conventional Xenon bulb light. Oh and get your wife a P1. I bought one for my girlfriend last year when we were going on a camping trip and it is one of the most loved gifts she ever got. It is tiny so it can go right on car key chain and it is always there if you need light. She reads lots so she used it every night for days on camping trip and after about 4 evenings she finally toasted the single battery. I gave her a couple more and I think she is still using them. Hasn't asked me for anymore.
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thank You for the info i will Check them out 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have accumulated a few Fenix lights over the years, they are awesome lights at a great cost. I have been doing business with David at fenix-store since his first day, I remember when the only had one light to offer.
I will hang on to my Surefires too though, they are made to be used and abused instead of just used. Fenix anodizes their lights the same way most aluminum is treated, type one anodizing, where the Surefires are done up in type 3. For an average guy like most of us type 1 is fine, and way cheaper. If you rubbed a Surefire against a fenix, Mag or any other type of aluminum the lesser light would be cut in to pieces, leaving the harder anodized light without a scratch. For the most part I just use lights like a normal person, but there have been times I put my Surefires through what no other light would be able to endure, plus, if I did manage to destroy it Surefire will replace it, fairly quick.

Batteries.. They are all pigs, and 123A batteries can get expensive if you use the light very often. There are rechargeable solutions for any 123A battery application and they are very cheap! Lithium batteries are awesome, they sit forever without having to worry about them (10 year shelf life) and love to be worked in the cold, long after alkaline has given up. Lithium-ion, rechargeable lithium has even better cold stopping power, a pretty important factor when you live in a cold environment.

Here are a couple of my favorite lights and how I have been powering them for the last few years, the taller cells in the picture are 123A stacks, they replace "2" 123A batteries in a 2 celled light, the black and silver ones are premiums, cost a bit more than average but are the only ones capable of lighting up the bulb in a large light, the tall light in the picture will completely drain 3 brand new 123A cells in 20 minutes of use, gets pretty expensive. Now I simply use rechargeable, haven't bought a battery in years.
The smaller batteries are the same thing, the blue one is a single 123A, rechargeable, worth it's weight in gold, paid about 4$ for them and they work every bit as good as a primary cell. My wifes uses one in her P1.
The little light on the left is my baby, one of a kind. :D
Bottom line is not to turn your back on a light just because of the batteries it consumes, 123A can be bought from a reliable source for $1 a peice, I would avoid the Surefires though, that is a situation where you are paying for the name.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

Ran into some problems with my Fenix order. Seems the eBay seller was advertising a model they didn't even have yet. :evil:
I didn't get any order confirmation, or shipping confirmation, so I contacted the seller on Monday and was told the light wouldn't be in until the 15th. I asked if they would ship the L2T v2.0 (2 light levels with 152 lumen max - 2 AA batteries - 2.5 hrs on high) instead and refund any price difference. They refunded $15 within the hour and I got the light today.
I took it with me on this evening's hunt and although it wasn't completely dark I can tell this light is going to be great for hunting. On the low power setting it is a great light for walking, and with a twist of the bezel it's like a spotlight! I can't believe the light from the Cree LED! I've owned several 2 AA powered lights in the past, but there in no comparison to the light this thing throws, and it isn't the most powerful 2 AA powered light Fenix offers!

DrDan - Thanks for letting me know about these lights!
I'll, no doubt, be owning more of this brand. :lol:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

wish i had seen that before ordering the surefire G2 LED model. I got that light for 40bucks on ebay though. Also have a Surefire 6P LED and love that light.. 60bucks on ebay but 80+ in most places.

The 6P goes on my duty belt though at the sheriffs office;)
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Wabi

Yes I know... I just received a new TK10 yesterday and it is amazing! I had it out last night along with my P3 The TK 10 will completely wipe out the light from the P3 and the P3 has 180 lumen output. The TK10 is more of a white light which seems to really make you see better. And it takes AA batteries. It has a nice rubber grip. No fancy stuff - just a low and a high output, but for a hunting light it is great!
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bob,
I have a Streamlight "twin task" (3 led or xenon) I was fond of. It emits 35 lumens with the xenon lamp and uses 1 CR123A battery. It also has a very short run time with the zenon bulb in use.
Compared to this new Fenix it's like a kerosene lantern compared to a white gas lantern. :lol:
The xenon light looks yellow in camparison to the Cree LED, and the LED produces over 4 times the illumination (152 lumens compared to 35 lumens) with both systems operating on 3V. (1 3V lithium compared to 2 - 1.5V alkaline)
Only time will tell if the fancy circuitry will hold up, but if it lasts it's well worth the higher price in my opinion.
I often need a compact flashlight in my work (plumbing = too many crawlspaces :wink: ) and I may purchase the 1 AA battery model for my tool tray if this one lasts for a few weeks. I'll be using it for both work and hunting, so it's going to get put through a few torture tests! :lol:
wabi
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

bstout

Try a Fenix and you won't be sorry.
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Wabi

I have been carrying a P3D for over a year and have dropped it many many times - also it has been soaked in water - actually forgot it was in pants pocket and it went through the washer. Still working great. Read up on the TK20 I am amazed by what a color change in the light can make. It has a much wider beam than my PS3 and is good for 200 yards anyhow. What more can you want in a hunting light?
When are you gonna get your wife a P1D? My girlfriend loves hers! Oh hell you can order a P1D and a TK20 and both be happy!
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan