Disposal of scraps

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Disposal of scraps

Post by DuckHunt »

I'm not sure how this affect hunters elsewhere, but it is an issue that can affect us all. The issue is how you dispose of the left over parts of the carcass when you process your deer. For those who take a deer home before gutting it, you problem is literally much larger. In my area the local garbage pick-up will not pick up anything with carcass parts in it. Whether it be a deer spine and bones or a mound of parts & feathers from a half dozen geese, they won't pick it up.

Couple that with local laws that prohibit dumping a carcass or parts pretty much anywhere and you have an issue. I agree with the local laws to some extent because they protect hunters in my opinion. Nothing provides bad advertising for hunters more than a headless or legless carcass dumped in a public area as if it were a garbage dump.

This can be a big issue for some hunters. Those with the forethought to consider what they will do with it after the kill will notice this situation. You have to do something with it. But what? Many folks can't afford to take every deer to a processor and many prefer to process their own. So, there will be excess. What do you guys do with it? Is there something in place in your area to help hunters address this problem?

DuckHunt
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Dumping the carcass in the bush is GOOD. It will feed scavangers and not fill up landfills. If the dump won't take it and they won't let you dispose of it back in the woods, I would ask your local fish and wildlife officer what you are supposed to do with it.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
sunset

Post by sunset »

This is an excellent point to bring up DuckHunt. Occasionally I have seen some inconsiderates drop their waste in the ditch etc. Unfortunately when a few of the wrong people see this it can tarnish our reputation.
For large game I always gut in the bush, asap. Afterwards the carcass or bones go to a local farmer who has offered a spot in his back forty for such purposes. Otherwise I have put this waste in green garbage bags and taken it to the landfill as "household"...no questions asked.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I live out so it's no problem. Package the scraps in 1-2 lb lumps in freezer bags and feed it to the woodpeckers during winter. Rb cage with leg bones inside gets hung in the back woods too. The birds love it.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We feed meat scraps to the dogs (the stuff we cut off and don't want to eat ourselves). The leftovers from the carcasses (mostly bones) we return to the woods - they don't last long!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I dump mine on the Southeast corner of our farm, at the farthest point from the house. Keeps the bear-attraction at least 1/2 mile away. They and the buzzards do a number on all remains! :D
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I throw mine down beside the railroad tracks, then hunt them with a shottie or bow for coyotes a few days later.
Oddly, the leg off my last November buck is still right where I dropped it, doesn't look quite as nice but I see it every few days when I cross to my hunting land.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I always return what I cannot use back to the bush but always somewhere discrete far from the antis eye.
The best things in life are not things!!
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I put mine out on my property for the bears to clean up.

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
saxman

Post by saxman »

This year I have gutted in the woods and returned the leftovers the next day to a place on the lease for that purpose.
Mother Nature loves it
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

here in PA they tell you that it goes out with household trash and it's illegal to dump them in the woods, but yet there are lime pits on state game lands where they dump roadkills then sprinkle lime on them....go figure huh :roll: ...............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Back corner fartest point from our house on our 10 acres [Misses Orders] :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
mikej

Post by mikej »

i gut in the bush and return the scraps for the scavengers
Bayou Stalker

Post by Bayou Stalker »

dick195252 wrote:Back corner fartest point from our house on our 10 acres [Misses Orders] :wink:
The fartest part on my land happens to be my side of the sofa...
Kendall
08 ExoMax
Boo String
GroundPounder quiver mount
Varizone
CrazyFarmer CowWacker Bolts (brass, 2" Predators)
Rage 3 Blades
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

We gut in the bush and dispose of the bones etc in the same place .