Rope Cocking Aid - wear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

korey99

Rope Cocking Aid - wear

Post by korey99 »

I'm wondering if anyone else is noticing wear on the area behind the safety from their rope cocking aid being used to unload their bow after the hunt. The plastic stock "string groove" is wearing from repeated unloadings, and I'm wondering if there is a way to avoid this.

Anyone else experience this?

Korey
War Paint

Post by War Paint »

Shoot it
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

shoot it off ...again, again and again!

I got tired of having to use the cocking aid to un-cock the bow. I keep a crappy bolt that the fletching is "F@#$'ed" up on in the quiver and shoot it into the ground at the end of a hunt.... if I'm skunked... gives me some practice on range from the stand... and that's more times than not.

I love to hear the "th-whack" of the exomax!

Frank
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
mikej

Post by mikej »

i also shoot an old bolt into the ground
exohuntr

Post by exohuntr »

Old bolt here, but mine has a blunt game point in case I see some small game that looks inviting...Exohuntr
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have never used the rope cocking aid to let my string down. I have occasionally let it down by hand, but usually just shoot an arrow (blunt tipped) into the ground.
wabi
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Wow...surprising to see how many of you actually discharge the bow rather than unload it with the rope cocking aid or by hand. I used to do it by hand, but as the bows progressed in draw weight in recent years, it's become too tough on the hands! I thought the move to the rope aid was the ticket, until I began noticing the wear. I like having four broadheads in the quiver, just in case, so I don't see myself shooting a bolt each time to unload, especially after an evening hunt, and it's getting dark...might be tough to find the bolt!

Many others use the rope aid?
sunset

Post by sunset »

Ya Korey, I use the rope cocker to both load and unload...wouldn;t think of doing it by hand. After a few times the camo finish wears off in the groove. I do carry one field point in the quiver as well.
huntman

Re: Rope Cocking Aid - wear

Post by huntman »

korey99 wrote:I'm wondering if anyone else is noticing wear on the area behind the safety from their rope cocking aid being used to unload their bow after the hunt. The plastic stock "string groove" is wearing from repeated unloadings, and I'm wondering if there is a way to avoid this.

Anyone else experience this?

Korey

SHOOT a DEER everytime out and you wont have that problem! :wink: :lol: :!:
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

Korey99, shoot it in the ground from your stand right below you and you'll find your bolt no problems...although it might go half way up the shaft into the ground from the excailbur's power!!!
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
mikej

Post by mikej »

i shot mine into the ground right below the stand to find it easily i also don't carry it in my quiver i leave it in the ground until next time then take it back up to my stand with me
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Thanks fdegurse, but I hunt a lot from ground blinds. Perhaps a little wear on the stock isn't the worst thing in the world from unloading the Vixen. I'd also prefer not to make as much noise from shooting when I can use the rope aid to do it a bit quieter......don't want the big guy to pinpoint me for my next visit!

Thanks.
fishnbugdude

Post by fishnbugdude »

I did shoot an old aluminum bolt into the ground right beside my truck - that is until I did it into the snow and did not realize how deep the ditch was. Lost the bolt and could not find it in the spring. Don't want to do it with my graphite bolts so I use the cocking aid. I would not worry about a little camo coming off or a little wear - unless you are looking at using the bow for 100 years or more I doubt you will see any adverse effects from the little wear.

You could likely but a little bit of tape (duct tape cures all) and change it every so often if it really bothers you.
franklarabie

Post by franklarabie »

Here's an ideah if you look at your excalibur stringer notice theirs a little plastic tube around the rope to prevent wear. What if you put a piece of a straw where it rest against the stock that should prevent it. :D
Exocet200
Fast Flight string
Vari-zone scope
100gr wasps
-------------------
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Hey franklarabie, that's a great idea!

I'll try it and get back to you.