Should I upgrade...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dumbazz

Should I upgrade...

Post by Dumbazz »

Shootin a Phoenix new last year. Thinking about going to a Exomax, 225lb.

Just wanting to shoot a little flatter and be a little more foregiving with range estimation.

Thoughts??
I come by my name honestly.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I think the one you have would be a little more forgiving and easier to shoot. Sometimes bigger isnt better. The exomax will be harder on strings and definitly knock out targets faster. I stepped up from the exocet to the equinox. Was it worth it? Not really. I just wanted the thumbhole version since I shoot thumbholes better for some reason. I picked up about 25fps overall.

its up to you but you would notice more of a difference in speed than I did. If you find a good deal make the switch.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Good enough reason to buy another Excalibur. :lol:
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

By all means yes. As long as you don't have any problem cocking it.
If you want flatter and faster the Max will provide that increase.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

enormous wrote:By all means yes. As long as you don't have any problem cocking it.
I meant to add that also.. make sure you can cock it. Even from the 200 model to the 225 I noticed a bit of difference. Takes more UMPH even with the rope cocker :D But man does she get the arrows out there fast :D

also, by going with the 225 model you can get a 42strand Boo string with will last forever and have a solid 330fps bow to shoot :D
Normous

Post by Normous »

crazyfarmer wrote:
enormous wrote:By all means yes. As long as you don't have any problem cocking it.
I meant to add that also.. make sure you can cock it. Even from the 200 model to the 225 I noticed a bit of difference. Takes more UMPH even with the rope cocker :D But man does she get the arrows out there fast :D

also, by going with the 225 model you can get a 42strand Boo string with will last forever and have a solid 330fps bow to shoot :D
Boo strings have come along way. My first was 28 strand, then came the 34's and 36's, then 40. Now 42. 8)
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
hawg hunter

up grade???

Post by hawg hunter »

When I took up shooting a Xbow I bought the fastest bow I could find. Speed is nice but the physical strain that it puts on your body means less practice, when I shot with the faster bow strings didn't last as long and I had to chase pass threws alot farther and lost a few more arrows. IMHO the Phoenix is the best all around bow adequate speed for every thing, it would be nicer to have a thumbhole and Mark took care of that. I've killed Hawgs,deer,elk, and several exotics here in Texas with out any trouble. My Max sits in the closet for back up.
Boo

Post by Boo »

For a pure hard-core hunting bow I think the 200 lbs are pretty much perfect. Still pretty hard on servings but spits out arrows fast and still not a pig to cock. I agree with hawg hunter, the Pheonix is a great all around bow when you are shooting a lot.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikew

Re: Should I upgrade...

Post by mikew »

Dumbazz wrote:Thoughts??

I'd like to toss out another option - either the Vortex or Exocet. They are in the middle between the Phoenix & Exomax.
Either one would get you shooting a bit flatter without the extra strain on your body & strings that come with going "to the Max".

BUT, as others have already said, the Phoenix will work well on a lot of game.

Maybe get a good rangefinder instead?
There are a few, with inclinometer, for under $300, and they are even cheaper without the trajectory calculators...

Just more food for thought, so to speak.

-Mike
Fred

Post by Fred »

The Equinox and a crankaroo and a string serving jig (homemade of course) and don't look back also better get some kind of lighted nock for the hunting arrows makes them easier to find way on the other side of the deer. Good ole Dan Miller tried to steer me away from the 225 but having been under powered for years with my hunting equipement I went with the bigboy I have a Y 25 and it's 200 but I still like the Equinox the best it is hard on servings but who cares
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Power DOES matter. Sometimes.

What are you hunting? If it's game larger than deer, the additional power permits you to shoot heavier bolts, and use broadheads with a bigger cut. You can then still shoot with the same "flatness" as the lower powered bows.

If you don't need the penetration because you are shooting smaller big game such as deer, you can still benefit from using bigger cut broadheads. It stands to reason that the bigger the cut, the greater the chance of cutting major blood vessels. That can't be a bad thing ever, as long as you don't sacrifice accuracy.

I use an Exomax and G5 Striker Magnums (1&1/2" cut). I can assure you that there is no sacrifice in accuracy with them.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
rrcrc

Post by rrcrc »

I up graded to a exomax this fall from a old exocet 165 and I love the Exomax!!
I would keep the Phoenix get a Exomax.
The only thing better that an excalibur crossbow is 2 excalibur crossbows. :D
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I started with an Equinox (thumbhole stock version of Exomax), great bow but a bear to cock. I could do it but I wanted to shoot a lot, after 5 or 6 shots it was noticeably less fun to cock. It was chroning 330 with the factory string and arrows but there was more vibration and string wear (first stock serving lasted 60 shots). So I traded 'down' to a Vortex, much easier to cock despite being only 25 lbs less draw weight. Gives me great accuracy and 320 fps with my 400 gr arrows and Flemish string. Much more forgiving on strings. Then, I also got a Phoenix, 280 fps with the same arrow. It's an absolute joy to shoot and maintain. I shoot two faster bows - one at 355 fps - but none that are more fun.
liaf

Post by liaf »

i did not have any xcal dealers near me so I couldn't try any bows out to see the difference between them. I knew I could cock the phoenix and exocet no problem but my main concern was letting down an arrow while using my rt arm. I wasn't sure if I could decock the exocet as it has that extra inch and the increased poundage. BTW the 225 models never entered my mind as several states have poundage limits(200 max). Any way i went with a phoenix as my first x-bow. I find it easy to cock and decock but I think I will be getting an exocet during the winter months. I am not sure if i will sell the phoenix or just keep it. NJ will have an x-bow season next year and I believe they are putting in a 200lb max for x-bows. I want some more speed for a flatter trajectory as I am using a single red dot sight. I realize the exocet will be a tad louder and have a higher rate of serving wear but realize its a trade off. At least I bought an xcal since i almost bought a Barnett quad 400 from cabelas. Now that would have been a hugh mistake.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

I have an Equinox. I love it to death. I'm 6"0 at 236lbs so cocking it isn't a big deal. I can get away doing it with fingers but way not pleasant. With the factory weight arrows, I did noticed a lot of vibration but after researching on this fine forum, I went to a heavy bolt setup with the STS and BOO string. Quiet and no vibes anymore.

But as mentioned, very hard on targets with broadheads. Hard on fletching with field tips. I can get pass throughs with field tips out to 40 yards. With broadheads, they stop at the fletching at 40 yards.

Next year, I'm building a large stand with a 36x36" target and thicker than the block so I'm not digging bolts out of the dirt all the time. That part is annoying.

I haven't shot an animal yet, but I imagine I'm going to lose and arrow more than likely.

I wanted a heavy x-bow for bear and moose, but it's way overkill for deer.