I have everything I need but still spent $150.00

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Re: I have everything I need but still spent $150.00

Post by Grizzly Adam »

planter wrote: I am so weak I am ashamed!!! I need some sort of counciling but I bet/know I can't get it here. :D
Sure you can. I haven't bought anything new for quite a few hunting seasons. In fact, the last new thing I did buy was my Exomax in 2006.

Remember that consumer marketing plays the same role in the hunting industry that it does in other profit-oriented pursuits: they intend to convince you that you "need" this and "must have" that, because they want your dollar!

No doubt some of their products are useful.

You do not need them, though.

Hunting can be a money sink if you let them have their way with you.

Now, having said that, I'm off to Bass Pro. :D :wink:
Grizz
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Think of this phrase every time you go to buy something [do i really NEED it or do i just WANT it] ONLY buy it if you really NEED it. It has helped me out a lot :lol: :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
dutchhunter

freindely helper

Post by dutchhunter »

What i do when in these stores is put every thing i want in my kart then walk around the store for as long as it takes .keep adding things up in me head as i go .usualy after looking at it for 10 or 15 minutes and thinking about the price i decide i dount realy need it and put it back knowing i could have got it but put it back is most times enough and i leave without it . DUTCH
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'm learning to shop like my 3 yr old son. We'll be out and he'll want something,so I'll give it to him to hold onto - usually it takes just a few minutes of "owning" it and he'll tell me he doesn't want it anymore. So now I try to re-evaluate my cart contents before heading to the checkout and it's amazing how many things lose their "need-to-have" status while just carrying them around the store. :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i haven't bought any of that stuff i get just what i can get by with. wash in baking soda . no scent stuff just bath and wash clothing
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

One way to reduce the effect of "stacking it high and piling it deep" when it comes to acquiring hunting equipment is to practice what I call the:

Toy-In, Toy-Out Rule

Here's an example of my own application: When nerve damage in my left hand made it necessary to buy my Exomax in 2006, I sold my Mathews Switchback and all of it's accessories. I let my little brother have it for less than the going price, or I'd have broke even on the Exomax and the Right Stuff package. As it was, I ended up paying only around $100 for the entire switch.

I don't always practice this rule, but I do take controlling my posessions very seriously. I don't want them to control me, or for their possession and maintenance to overwelm me. Same thing applies to indebtedness. My teacher said, "A man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." He was right.

There is every bit as much joy to be found in the efficient use of what you already have as there is in acquiring more just for the sake of having it.

It's not necessarily wrong to want more stuff or new stuff, nor wrong to have them, but it can be a slippery slope ... and it can be a long way to the bottom, as this nation is finding out. The unbridled desire for more, more, more is part of what's got America into this current financial mess. :( :(

All right ... I'm leaving for Bass Pro now! :D :D :wink: :wink:
Grizz
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I understand crazyfarmer is available to council those prone to impulse buying.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

The way I see it - It's all Grizz's fault! At least that's what I tell the girlfriend. Yah she wanna wring yah neck Grizz!
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

DrDan wrote:The way I see it - It's all Grizz's fault! At least that's what I tell the girlfriend. Yah she wanna wring yah neck Grizz!
In case Bass Pro doesn't have everything you need, Dr. Dan:

Cabelas is having a special 7-day Bargain Cave Sale.

You can save up to 70%!

http://www.cabelas.com

Tell her I told you so. 8)
Grizz
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

She coming down to Outer Banks and like to meet yah Grizz. Oooooh this could be ugly! By the way there are distinct advantages to being an old bachelor who earns money!
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

DrDan wrote:She coming down to Outer Banks and like to meet yah Grizz. Oooooh this could be ugly!
OK.

Be sure to tell her that I live in New Bern, and that my given name is Ray. :wink:
Grizz
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Grizz

That's not the name I recall that she gave you! I think she wants the Tater Patch Titan!
Phoenix - Equinox
DrDan
Fred

Post by Fred »

I sure do admire all this frugality but one morning I got out of bed and the old eyes didn't seem to be working to good well a nifty little gal with a laser machine got me back up and running and I had me a vision I love to hunt and love gizzmo's and gadgets even more you only go around once and I'll get that or do that next year may or may not be possible. There was a fellow on one of these forums said it best something to the effect (The one that dies with the most toys is the winner} or some such little saying on his signoff I talked to fellow yesterday that has nine crossbows. You guys keep putting it back and I'll keep taking it home
raydaughety

Re: I have everything I need but still spent $150.00

Post by raydaughety »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
planter wrote: I am so weak I am ashamed!!! I need some sort of counciling but I bet/know I can't get it here. :D
Grizz wrote:
Sure you can. I haven't bought anything new for quite a few hunting seasons. In fact, the last new thing I did buy was my Exomax in 2006.

My memories is not what it used to be but let me think.....I'm trying to recall....seems like.......someone was seduced into buying himself a Ruger single six on July 3rd 2007???? BUSTED!!!!!! :wink: I only remember because I bought one the same week :oops: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
wabi

Post by wabi »

Fred wrote:I sure do admire all this frugality but one morning I got out of bed and the old eyes didn't seem to be working to good ........
All a matter of priorities.
I wear disposable contacts. They are great, but after a certain amount of time deposits build up on them and the fog drifts in. Just like trying to look through fog or haze, but a few blinks of the eyes will clear it temporarily. The cure - throw them in the trash can (like they are designed) and put in two new lenses (about $9 each).
I've been blinking like a caution light for over a week now, just hating to spend $18 if I can get by for another day.
But then DrDan had to post about Fenix lights and I've spent close to $100 on two of them this week. (yep, DrDan, I ordered another one tonight :wink: )
Also picked up another pack of broadheads this afternoon, ordered a new scope & mount for my air rifle, ordered a new scope for my crossbow..........
I'm going to go put in new contacts now! :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi