longest ethical shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I think this horse isn't dead enough. :)

Absolutely not.

Two of the doe I have taken this season have been at 40 and 38 yards. Both of them were standing still when I touched the trigger and both of them moved before the arrow reached the target. I quite honestly got lucky in both cases and managed to hit a vital artery or vein on both. An inch or two different and I would have had two wounded deer on my hands. And that was at 40 yards and under! For that reason, I feel I am stretching my comfortable/ethical distance when shooting 40 yards. The goal isn't simply to hit the deer anywhere. The goal is a humane quick kill.

At 80 yards there is absolutely no telling where you will hit a deer IF you hit them at all. If you really want to take the deer, change your strategy or location to get closer to where they appear.

DuckHunt
frisky

Post by frisky »

NO,, that is a shot for a rifle
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

[quote="Hoss"]why even take the chance...the whole idea around bow hunting is getting past the ears. eyes and noes of such a willy animal. getting them close and then taking what youve earned..THAT is where the hunt is.. Could not be said any better!!
The best things in life are not things!!
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I have a Paradox with a Vari Zone scope.I practice distance shots by turning down the fps on the scope.Living in the country I can shoot every day.I do keep it under 40 yards,but when I had a buck watching me walk down the road makeing more noise then a Sherman Tank,I could not pass him up.After dropping him on the spot I used my gps to check the distance,70 yards.I think that time I turned the scope down to 300 and aim at the top of his back with my 50 yard mark.If a deer is lazing about I may take the long shot agian if I can get a good guess at the distance.I always pace out my hunting area so there isn't too much guessing.Miss a deer today and he won't be back,get closer tomorrow and he will.I posted this kill before,so I allready got all the static on it,so save your breath.