longest ethical shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fuel80guy

longest ethical shot

Post by fuel80guy »

I had a decent 10 point 3 1/2year old buck broadside at 82 yards yesterday morning.
He had no idea i was there and was calmly feeding in the open alfalfa field.
Im shooting a exocet with carbon express bolts and rage 2 blade broadheads which are almost 500 grains in total weight.
Would you have taken this shot?
Thanks
Boo

Post by Boo »

Only while hallucinating after a hit of LSD. :evil:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Absolutely not. Everyone has their comfort zone, a range in which they have practiced many times over and "know" without the shadow of a doubt that they can ethically harvest an animal within that distance. My personal maximum shooting distance is 35 yards at a relaxed whitetail deer and 30 if he's a bit on edge. Tyler shoots a compound and his "maximum personal distance" is 20 yards. A deer can do a lot of stuff in the time it would take your arrow to travel 82 yards. I applaud you for resisting the temptation to "sling one" his way. Now that you know where he lives, get closer and don't forget to post us a picture. Good luck ! :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
saxman

Post by saxman »

X's 3 NEVER!!!!

I pushed my limit at 45 yards this season.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dutchhunter

why not

Post by dutchhunter »

hold three feet over his back and let her sail..... I hear peopel talk like this ever year the problem is every once in a while sombody pulls it off and hits a deer at these long ranges .We had one young fellow bring in a nice buck said he shot it at 80 yards with the xbow he said the deer only whent 40 yards and fell over .Then thy start to think it is becose thy are good shots and try it again .of coures thy never talk about the ones thy miss or the ones that got away wounded .just remember you ot to be able to sleep at night even if nobody eles knows .DUTCH
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Yup...right after the deer came about 50 yards my way. I had a dipstick tell me that he shot at a deer he thought was a buck (too dark to see horns...but it was BIG) at 45 yards (don't know how he knew the distance since it was so dark) and he was not sure where he was aiming since his reticule batter was dead. But he was sure he missed the deer " because he "couldn't find the bolt." He shot because he was 'frustrated'' over not having gotten a shot since the deer was coming out so late.
(I'm not making this up).
BTW, he has killed several deer with his vert: one hit in the throat, one in the spine, and one, mercifully, in the shoulder. He also lost a deer last year because he hit her "too far back'' but shot her fawn as he was trialing her thinking it was the wounded deer.
It's these kind of 'hunters' that give us all a bad name. There should be a requirement to engage the brain before picking up any hunting implement.
p.s. The same fool qualifies for CB permit because he injured his shoulder then the ladder he was standing on, that was positioned from the bed of his truck, was knocked over by the large limb he was sawing with a chainsaw. (Honest!)
Rich

Post by Rich »

I would not attempt such a shot.

Rich
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

:shock:
Only with my .300 or 30.06! Would even hesitate with my shotgun.
With my bow, I'd just sit back and enjoy the view. :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

80 yard shot ! thats twice to far for me. 40 yds is pushing my vixen to the max!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
cdup

Post by cdup »

:shock: Not no, but HELL NO!
Respect everyone, but fear no one
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Not a chance. I don't know what sort of kinetic energy the bolt would have at that range, but it would probably be flopping around like a cod fish.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
mikej

Post by mikej »

nope not me 40 yards is my max 50 would take some strong consideration and everything would have to be just perfect even then i'd likely still pass
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

why even take the chance...the whole idea around bow hunting is getting past the ears. eyes and noes of such a willy animal. getting them close and then taking what youve earned..THAT is where the hunt is..

Heck you found out there is a nice buck in the area now is the time to try and out smart him..not sucker punch him from 80 yds away..

but thanks for asking..for they say no question is a stupid question thats how we learn..Go get him bud..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I think this horse isn't dead enough. :)

Absolutely not.

Two of the doe I have taken this season have been at 40 and 38 yards. Both of them were standing still when I touched the trigger and both of them moved before the arrow reached the target. I quite honestly got lucky in both cases and managed to hit a vital artery or vein on both. An inch or two different and I would have had two wounded deer on my hands. And that was at 40 yards and under! For that reason, I feel I am stretching my comfortable/ethical distance when shooting 40 yards. The goal isn't simply to hit the deer anywhere. The goal is a humane quick kill.

At 80 yards there is absolutely no telling where you will hit a deer IF you hit them at all. If you really want to take the deer, change your strategy or location to get closer to where they appear.

DuckHunt