Can anyone help a Rookie in Ottawa?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Benu

Can anyone help a Rookie in Ottawa?

Post by Benu »

Looking for advice on where to hunt deer in Ottawa area. I am in the south end. Currently I have been going to Marlborough Forest, where I have seen lots of tracks in the woods, but I feel like I am just spinning my wheels. I have only seen one deer (250 meters through the bush). I know I should be hunting a food source, but I have no access to any. The farmers I have talked to are not taking new guys on.

If any of you are in the Ottawa area, or within 45min to an hour drive and willing to either let me hunt one antlered deer on your property or have a spot to recommend, please let me know.

Also any advice will help too. I am a complete novice, and only know what I have read and learned through my own experiences. I don't expect to become a master hunter overnight, but I would love to at least harvest a deer this season. If any one in the Ottawa area wants an apprentice, I am willing to learn.
Take it easy.

Jason

2008 Phoenix
Varizone Scope
DanO

Post by DanO »

How close to Larose Forest are you? I used to do work there and there seemed to be alot of deer in the area?

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i am not fron canada but if you found plenty of deer sign in that forest. its just a matter of trail watching. thats how i get mine. i don't have access to the farmers land. i do have acess to 30 acres that deer travel to and from his field. i don't see deer every day usually i see a deer or 2 every 4 or 5 days. i have saw 6 and taken 2
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
buzz

Post by buzz »

I remember seeing Ontario Out Of Doors show about two years ago. The show was based on the Ottawa area where they had to many deer in the area. The Ministry were allowing 5 or 6 aditional tags for deer.
You can give the Ottawa district Ministry office a call, or give Out Of Doors a call.
They must have crown land around for hunting.
Try the rural post offices. The post men and woman seem to know alot of people with farms.
Also the purilator or UPS guys. They also run into alot of farmers.
I find its an on going thing looking for land to hunt. Make it kinda a game that you set aside some time once a week or once a month driving to an area getting to know the area and the farmers in the area. If you find an area and a farmer lets you hunt it might snowball and one farm may turn into many farms in the area.
Hope this help a bit.
MIke:
sullyy

Post by sullyy »

You're doing better than me.... so far this year I've logged 20+ hours in my stand and haven't seen a single deer yet.

If you are seeing tracks and trails you're in the right spot. So far the deer haven't been moving so good this year.

Good luck!