Jumped a buck from his bed, Now what ???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hipwader

Jumped a buck from his bed, Now what ???

Post by Hipwader »

Ok gang ..I need some advice... I was sitting in the blind the other day and watched two huge bucks mull around, unfortunately I couldn't get an ethical shot and decided to watch these guys instead. After about an hour I thought that the coast was clear and decided to get out from the stand and go for a short stroll. I hadn't walked thirty yards when one of the bucks went crashing through the bush..arghhhhhhhhh... :shock: :shock: . so here is my dilemma...should I leave the area for a while and let it cool down or try and add a few attractants and see if the beasts return ???

Hipwader
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

As long as he didn't see you get out of the stand you should be okay. I would go back, but make sure you take your time getting to, and into your stand. You may even want to go to the base of your stand first and try grunting to get him to come out.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
wabi

Post by wabi »

If the area is a good high traffic area I'd keep hunting it. You probably won't get that buck, but another may come along.
If you want that particular buck, I'd leave that spot and look for another place to put the blind, or even better - leave that blind (but don't use it) and add another blind (or even better - a tree stand) some distance away.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

are you sure it was him and not a doe? Ive spooked bucks and had them return the very next day. Espically during the rut when they are focused on doe. If he was a 4.5 + deer then he will probably hit the area but not that spot again.

its hard to say, but i'd give it a few days.. I had my string break and spook a good buck a few weeks ago.. I havent been back to that stand yet since im giving it plenty time. But thats because I have plenty stand sto hunt. If you are limited to hunting areas then give it a few days atleast. I try not to hunt any stand back to back, espically if I spook any deer. The more deer that see you, the less that will return during the season
Mike P

Re: Jumped a buck from his bed, Now what ???

Post by Mike P »

Hipwader wrote:two huge bucks

so here is my dilemma...should I leave the area for a while and let it cool down or try and add a few attractants and see if the beasts return ???

Hipwader
If the buck was indeed a mature buck, four years old or older, it has been my experience that you will no longer see him during shooting hours at that stand location. You may see him there during the rut in the general vicinity, but I believe he will even then avoid the area where you bounced him.

Thats the bad news. The good news is that you have two large bucks in the area you are hunting. If it were me, I would do a lot less hunting in the near future and a ton more scouting. I would try and determine the core area of these two bucks and only then start to plan ways to hunt them.

These two big boys will not really roam and leave the area until well into the rut after all the does in their core area have been serviced. Then they will travel to find more receptive does. So pre-rut and early rut you may get close to them if you can determine their base of operations.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Whenever I've spooked a deer, I'll immediately freeze and hit the grunt tube. Many times they won't know what it was that spooked them, so try to convince them they've run from another deer. Doesn't hurt to try, anyways. :lol:

When I walk through the woods I try to walk like a deer - three little steps and a long pause. Walk by putting your toe down first, instead of rolling from heel to toe. Sounds more like a deer. Have walked up on deer like that and had fun close encounters!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

VixChix is right . . .if you don't have a grunt tube just try the voice "blaaa". Doesn't have to be good, sometimes it works.

Bucks are unpredictible too . . .I shot and missed a good sized buck last week(hit a limb and killed it instead). The group of bucks were back the next day, under the same apple tree. The way they flew out of there the night before, I never expected to see them again. That was on Thursday evening. On Friday evening, I shot the six pointer. They were together both nights. All ran out like lightning and came back the next day. The other buck was a six pointer too(a little smaller body). . .I figured he had some bad carma and chose not to try him again.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

YOUR IN HIS HOUSE JUST MOVE TO ANOTHER ROOM WHEN HE PASSES THE DOOR WAY WACK HIM,IT MAY NOT WORK ALL THE TIME BUT I'VE DONE IT A FEW TIMES AND IT'S PAID OFF

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I agre with all thats been said good advise from some sound hunters..

I bet it wasnt his bed...and if it was you would have jumped him going to your stand..so the stand is probly still good..hope for a rain to wash away scent..give it a few days..go in the same way you did when you didnt get busted...and leave a different way from how you got busted last time..AVOID that same area..when the RUT comes it wont make difference his mind will be on his Chic and not you that would be the best time if you can avoid that place till then..good luck...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
fishnbugdude

Post by fishnbugdude »

Good advise by all. I have found that if you indeed spooked him good (if he ran through the bush and made a lot of noise you likely did) then I would back out for a week or two.

If you simply bump him (I popped one out of his bed on Saturday - he knew he didn't like something - I watched him walk away at about 40 yards - slowly and cautiously) he should be back.

I believe you can never be too cautious - you can diffidently be too aggressive.

MC
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

Give it the area a couple days to cool off. Then go back in well before sunrise,..like several hours before sunrise. Get in your stand and wait for one of the bucks to come back to his bed.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

VixChix wrote:Whenever I've spooked a deer, I'll immediately freeze and hit the grunt tube. Many times they won't know what it was that spooked them, so try to convince them they've run from another deer. Doesn't hurt to try, anyways. :lol:

When I walk through the woods I try to walk like a deer - three little steps and a long pause. Walk by putting your toe down first, instead of rolling from heel to toe. Sounds more like a deer. Have walked up on deer like that and had fun close encounters!
If I did that, it would take me 3 hours to get to most of my stands... :D I usually walk for about 20 yards and then pause for a second. Just depends on how much time I have to get to the stand.

ive done the grunting thing also, but only to have the deer stop and come right back to me.. then getting a good look at me, blowing and running back off with every deer in the area :D Its fun to do with young deer though;)

i like to wait untill after dark to leave my stand.. deer will still spook, but its hard for them to make out what you are
Hipwader

Post by Hipwader »

HOLY SMOKES...Thanks to everyone for the info..I have left the area for the week, not until I installed a trail cam and some C'mere Deer though, and plan on hitting it for an evening hunt tomorrow... I'll keep all posted...however if I get a crack at that brute I'm sure everyone will hear my shouts of happiness :lol: