Butcher pricing?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowkidd

Butcher pricing?

Post by xbowkidd »

just curious what other guys are paying for butchering services? i took my first deer in today and he told me $70 for basic cuts, $1/lb for summer sausage and for another $10 he would skin it. i don't really have anything to compare it to so i was just wondering if that sounded right?
Team Dryfire
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

$50 to $70 is what I have paid to a local guy who is a butcher at the local grocery store and does deer on the side at home. I've had pepperettes made at 2 different places and it's about $2 to $2.50 per pound which includes the pork that they mix in. Less if you just get them in bulk and not vacuum packed.

My neighbour and and another friend butchered my doe last night and it only cost me the price of their beverages from Tim's. :-) They just cut it up into chops, steaks and roasts and then boned out all the other bits into chunks for pepperttes or sausages.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
wabi

Post by wabi »

Here it's $60./deer including skinning, more for special cuts like thin slices for jerky.
Luckily I do a barter/exchange policy with the processor and get a better deal. (I do his plumbing repairs free and he processes my deer free) :lol:
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Thats fair......if you dont want to mess with it yourself ...around here its about 95 skinned steaked and grd up..sausage is extra..get a big deer and its even more..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

the one and only deer i had done by someone other then myself....i paid 55.00 back in 1992 and got back 45 pounds of venison from a 180 dressed doe :evil: so i've been doing it myself for all of my 50 deer to date.............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
fishnbugdude

Post by fishnbugdude »

I have paid $65 - 145. The latter was including sausage and pepperettes. I pay a little more for the one butcher but he does a great job - removes the hair, bone shavings and packages them really good. Also uses good pork (not certified organic but close).

I would rather pay a little more and get it done right then less and have to remove shavings and deal with poorly wrapped meat.
mikej

Post by mikej »

it is 50 cents per pound here skined cut and wrapped and they do a great job with hair removal and packaging
dschnarr

Post by dschnarr »

I do it my self. Congrats on the deer. What did you get?
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

I called place called Farm-Gate in St. Thomas and was told $3/lb for sausage and pepperettes. Deer must be skinned and all meat de-boned.
Darz Bór!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go on the deer! :D

I think butchers around here get around $50 ... but they don't get much business! In fact, I can't even think of someone who does it off the top of my head!

Nothing wrong with having it done for you, but I've never paid one thin dime to anyone to butcher any critter. We do it all from field to freezer, and make our own sausage, jerky, summer sausage or anything else we care to do with it.

Have you ever considered doing it yourself?

If you're a very successful hunter, you'll save a ton of money over the years. Think of the equipment you could buy! :D :D
Grizz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i have several places around me that do the butchering. costs range from $60 to $80 and it has to be skinned. the higher one also use pork fat and sausage seasonings the others use beef fat ick!
i do my own also, i just know about prices because they advertise all around here
Last edited by vixenmaster on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dutchhunter

love my meat

Post by dutchhunter »

always do it myself .I hang them on the swing in the back yard skin them out cut in to forths and cut up on the spam tabel the wife and kids wrap it all up and we all do the wash up .I have a roll off heavy card board paper that i cover the tabel with and bone out all the meat cut in to steaks and roasts grind up all the trim add pork way to go .one roll off wrap cost around 30$ and last 3 to 4 sesons DUTCH
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

The last deer that I had done was about $35.00. They go by the pound and it's .35 cents a pound to have it ground up into sausage. The deer has to be de-boned and in a cooler. I keep the loins (they're usually sizzling in the bottom of mamma's old black iron frying pan shortly after the deer quits kicking :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
saxman

Post by saxman »

I just got one back yesterday.
I took it in skinned and quartered.No ribs.
It was $30.00
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

I do it my self. Congrats on the deer. What did you get?
Dennis he shot a 1+ year doe. His computer is acting funny right now. The deer have been going behind his tree, so he changed his position that they would come in front and wouldn't you know it they came in the other way. Murphies Law. :lol:
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows