Got my new vari-zone today.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Got my new vari-zone today.

Post by wabi »

Along with the Benjamin Discovery PCP air rifle, and the new Fenix light I had ordered.
Unfortunately I felt so bad today I actually went to the doctor. (first trip in over a year, and that was for an injury) He tried his best to find some dreaded disease, abnormality, or other serious condition to prove I should have regular checkups, but all he could find wrong was what I told him was wrong when I went in - a bad sinus infection. He gave me a prescription for antibiotics and sent me on my way.
When I got home all the packages awaited me, but I felt so bad it took me a couple hours to get everything put together for a trip to the range.
The PCP air rifle is sighted in, the vari-zone is sighted in and adjusted for velocity, and there just wasn't much I could do with the flashlight. :lol:
Home again, and plan to relax & snooze this evening.
wabi
fletch

Post by fletch »

Hey Wabi those new toys must have made you feel a little bit better didn't they? :lol: Get better soon so you can go use the tools.
dutchhunter

poor fellow

Post by dutchhunter »

I have had the same sinace infection for three weeks know .threr is a lot of it going around here in southern ont .saline nasil spray realy made a diff for me DUTCH
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Wabi, I love those days when the mail box is full.. I got pretty used to it in my flashlight addiction days, they have tapered off now though, only a couple a month.
Today I got a call from the post office seeing if we were home because I had a parcel that customs attached a fee to, I was ready for it though. That is one of the nice things about living where we do, little favors like that.
Today I got a VTAC tomahawk (I was concerned with the border crossing), been wanting one for over a year but couldn't justify the price, opening day of deer here this year it could have saved me a whole lot of grief. Now I have one to add to my pack.

New toys are good, very very good.. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Get better buddy and enjoy the toys. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

Pydpiper wrote:Today I got a VTAC tomahawk (I was concerned with the border crossing), been wanting one for over a year but couldn't justify the price, opening day of deer here this year it could have saved me a whole lot of grief. Now I have one to add to my pack.
You mean this one?
http://www.americantomahawk.com/products/vtac.htm

If so, they are very handy. I don't have that model, but I often carry a tomahawk when archery hunting. A handy tool with a lot of uses (including chopping broadheads out of trees :oops: ). :lol:

Took a nap earlier and feel a little better now. When the wife gets home from work I'll probably go to my shop and try a few more shots with the air rifle on my short (13 yd max) indoor range.
Wasn't getting great accuracy from either the air rifle or the Phoenix this afternoon, but it was probably just me. It's sometimes hard to concentrate and shoot well when you feel bad.
I sighted the vari-zone in at 25 yards with the crosshair (I know that isn't what they recommend :wink: ), set the velocity dial to 300, and was sticking arrows in a 2" target dot at 35 yards with the first "sight mark" down. Since most of my hunting shots are under 30 yards a 25 yard sight-in puts the arrow in the kill zone even if I forget to compensate for range.

The new Discovery got a new 4x Walther scope (I already had) mounted on it and at 25 yards I was shooting around 3/4" groups. I figured it being a brand new rifle it's probably my not being familiar with it, and possibly the erratic velocity they say is common in new PCPs. (from what I've read it often takes 25-250 shots to get all the lube, etc. out of one and get best performance) I also ordered a variety of pellets in weights from 11.9 to 26.2 grains to see what it likes best, but they probably won't be here until the middle of next week.
wabi
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Wabi

Did you get the airgun stuff from www.straightshooters.com ? I like that site and put $1600 worth of stuff in basket and then got a knot in my stomach and turned that sucker off before I clicked the buy it button. Just bought the girlfriend a $500 puppy this week so I gotta restrain myself. Man this economy sure sucks - NOT. It's pretty good here! I just landed a new contract to care for Petland puppies so that means another 60 surgeries a month plus 120 vaccinations a month. Life is good!
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

wabi wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:Today I got a VTAC tomahawk (I was concerned with the border crossing), been wanting one for over a year but couldn't justify the price, opening day of deer here this year it could have saved me a whole lot of grief. Now I have one to add to my pack.
You mean this one?
http://www.americantomahawk.com/products/vtac.htm

If so, they are very handy. I don't have that model, but I often carry a tomahawk when archery hunting. A handy tool with a lot of uses (including chopping broadheads out of trees :oops: ). :lol:
Thats the one, glad you are feeling a bit better. Ready to see that gun anytime you get around to it.

Is leading a problem with these guns? I have been shooting the same .22 air pistol for 10 years and never considered cleaning it until I got in to firearms recently. I ran some lead remover through it not too long ago thinking it would have no rifling left but I was surprised as to how clean it actually was.
Does the same cleaning ritual apply to air rifles as their powder driven counterparts?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

DrDan,
Got it from Pyramid Air - http://www.pyramydair.com/

Pydpiper,
Hate to admit it, but I'm just learning the airgun sport and haven't got that far yet. :oops:
My old RWS model 48 shoots better dirty. When it was new if I scrubbed the bore with a bronze bristle accuracy fell of for a few shots, so I just went to shooting a "cleaning pellet" through it occasionally.
The new .22 cal will take standard .22 cleaning attachments, so all I did was clean a lot of the factory lube out of the barrel before I shot it.
I did find this link to cleaning:
http://www.nealjguns.com/pdfcatalog/AirGunCl.pdf
wabi
M&M

Post by M&M »

hope you get feeling better fast wabi a sinus infection can be quite misserable but on the upside enjoy those new toys and keep us up on that airgun performance I am sure there are a lot of others besides me that have been curious about there performance M&M
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Sounds very similar to cleaning a rifle, minus the bronze brush. That link you posted tells you how to make a home made bore snake, and they work well. Awshucks taught me how to make those a long while back and it still sees a bit of use in my rimfires.
Sounds to me like a bore snake would be ideal in that application, I tend not to use them in my precision powder driven rifles unless accompanied by a bore guide, but with the lack of throat in an airgun it should be ideal for what you are doing.
Another great cleaning tool that may be of value to you is this one, I keep one with my rimfires as well as my predator pack. Precision guys will veer you away from items like this, they tend to go in the throat with a lack of precision, but an air rifle has no throat.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... tId=832551

Or go to otis's own page, they won't let me link to a single item.
WMU 91
Boo string