bolt making questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

njxbow

bolt making questions

Post by njxbow »

i'm considering learning to fletch my own bolts and i have some questions. what glue is best to use for inserts and nocks? also, does anyone use natural feathers instead of vanes. i remember from hunting with a vertical bow that feathers were always more accurate for me than vanes, especially with broadheads. any thoughts and insight on bolt making would be appreciated.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i use hotmelt and goat tuff glues. many more around just as good. some ppl use feathers vanes like the 2" Blazers do very well. to me the heavier the front end the more accurate the arrows group
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Feathers versus vanes we can argue this one over for a long time .It is a personal choice .For target and expandables I personally use small vanes but for a fixed broadhead I use 5 inch feathers .I`m sure people will come up with reasons for using either and they are not wrong either way. :)
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use hot melt glue on inserts & nocks (I use inserts for nocks).
As far as fletching, I've used 5" feathers, 4" feathers, 4" vanes, and 2" Blazer vanes. For accuracy there is no noticable difference in my experiences. I use the 2" blazers exclusively now.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

goat tuff here but be wrned it makes removing the inserts a PITA if you ever decide to. You have to slow heat them up to remove.. if you use to much heat it melts the carbon shaft to the insert

2-3-4-5 inch vanes and no difference in flight here... I personally use 2inch blazers or predator vanes now but they are no different from their longer brothers. Just less weight with plays with FOC some to help in your favor
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Gold Tip Lazer II shafts and 110 brass inserts, stock alum nocks (they are lighter than inserts for higher FOC) 2" Blazer vanes. Goat Tuf glue for vanes, hot melt for inserts/nocks. LocTite crazy glue also good for vanes.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I agree with Cossack, only I use crazy glue on nocks/inserts and vanes.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
diesel

Post by diesel »

Ok, I will say it again . Hot melt on the nocks and inserts. I really like the looks of feathers and they fly great but the down side with feathers is #1 is if it is raining and the feathers get wet. #2 Feathers make a lot more noise than vanes.
I use both make sure the end produte weigh the same and when shooting from an Excalibur they all hit the same place.