BrassforEastons

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Strikenmike

BrassforEastons

Post by Strikenmike »

Greetings:

Can anyone tell me if the GT Brass Inserts will fit the new Easton Carbon Bolts? If not, what other sources should I check.

I have seen some of you recommend against using plastic flat nocks...Why?

I am having a difficult time getting 15+_FOC. Plastic nocks would help.

I am working with the Carbon Bolts, and 150 grain boltcuttlers...no cresting.

I am focusing on 2" blazers, but 4" feathers are lighter...agreed?

By the way, even with all my concerns, I did harvest a nice 6 point buck Thursday afternoon. Hunting on the ground, 15 yards, went 10 yards after I hit him and dropped. Carbon Bolts, 150 boltcutters and 2" blazers, Phoenix, FFF, Varizone, and SST.

Thanks and be safe in the woods.

Mike
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Feathers are lighter and will result in faster arrow speeds out to almost 40 yards. http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/facts.htm
If you use feathers don't forget to water proof them.
You can also cut your rear insert in half or more to gain some FOC.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Strikenmike

Post by Strikenmike »

I have been cutting my inserts down to about 1/2 inch. I really hate to start loading my shafts up with bolts and such, and I would like to stay under 500 grains on my completed arrows since I am shooting a Phoenix.

My current arrow is about 560 grains.

The funny thing is, my excalibur arrows (aluminum) that came with the bow, with 100 grain muzzys shoots great. I just want to work with carbon arrows if I can.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Mike
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

I put a practice tip in my drill press, Polished .004 of off the brass goldtips, filed 3 groves back in, Works great.
Hot melt glue
easton is .395 gt is .399 to .400 diameter

easton powerbolt
gold tip brass insert
easton plastic flat nock
foc = 17.5
weigh 447 grains,
Shot 3 shots at 25 yards, about 1 inch lower than my gold tips but had a group of less than 1 inch with 2 shots in the same hole off a rest.
Gold tips weigh 389, foc 18.7 didnt shoot any rainin, with a 100 gr fp
I dont know how many fps I lost but arrow drop was small.
Hope this helps, Stosh
Strikenmike

Post by Strikenmike »

I said earlier that my finished arrow weighed 560 grains. That was a typo.

E.Carbon, 2" Blazers, plastic nock, Alum inserts, 150 gr. boltcutters weigh in at 456 grains. According to my calculations, my FOC is 14.9%.

Feathers would probably put me over 15%, but to get to 20% I need brass inserts or something even more drastic.

My rig shoots very good out to 30 yards, so I am probably worried about nothing, in terms of deer hunting. I have been in the woods four times this year, all in the evening, and every night a deer has tried to come over and give me a good night kiss. Fairly typical for me. The way I hunt virtually all of my shots are inside 25 yards.

Thank again,

Mike

PS,,,,,, Still waiting to hear why plastic nocks are not recommended by some of you.
Tight Lines & Ten Rings