The evolution of a Boo string.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

Good luck on your hunt!
You do point out the one obvious problem with the Boo string, whether you intended to, or not................
They can't just be shot for a few weeks, or months, then thrown in the trash! Almost all of my self-made and factory strings have been used for a time, then been converted into "cordage" for various uses (such as a lanyard for rattling antlers) or just thrown in the trash, but Don's strings just never seem to get to the point where they are beyond use. :lol:
wabi
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Best of Luck on your Hunt.

And a very nice tribute indeed to Boo's strings.

I purchased both of my crossbows from members of this forum. By the time the season ends, I hope to have my Phoenix equipped with every accessory the guys here at the forum offer. I already have two groundpounder mounts on my phoenix and my exocet. I have ordered a string from Boo. And life just wouldn't be complete without a few arrows from crazyfarmer so I think I will grab some of them as well. The only reason I am wavering is that I jab Harold fairly often here on the forum and I fear he may build a slight curve into each one to make me constantly miss and then claim to all that I am a lousy shot.

I urge everyone who enjoys our forum to support the members that offer products here. They certainly do it more for the love of our sport then they do for profit.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Mike P wrote:Best of Luck on your Hunt.

And a very nice tribute indeed to Boo's strings.

I purchased both of my crossbows from members of this forum. By the time the season ends, I hope to have my Phoenix equipped with every accessory the guys here at the forum offer. I already have two groundpounder mounts on my phoenix and my exocet. I have ordered a string from Boo. And life just wouldn't be complete without a few arrows from crazyfarmer so I think I will grab some of them as well. The only reason I am wavering is that I jab Harold fairly often here on the forum and I fear he may build a slight curve into each one to make me constantly miss and then claim to all that I am a lousy shot.

I urge everyone who enjoys our forum to support the members that offer products here. They certainly do it more for the love of our sport then they do for profit.
I too have ordered 2 strings from Boo. Have Groundpounder Mount and Bolts from Harold. I totally agree with your last two sentences Mike.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
tytoalba

string tension of serving

Post by tytoalba »

Hi guys
I am a new crossbower,
I come from Como-Italy, are somewhat 'old (50 years) but still I am not upset.
I have some interest as construction and launch of boomerang, cycling, WW II aircraft, engine mechanics, stamps, etc ... Finally I was kidnapped by the charm of crossbow: since last July I Exomax a 225 and I build the arrows Easton XX78 2216 Digital and strings Brownell FF Plus 36 wire from serving Dyneema Kite Surf).
You must forgive entry, but I do not know English and I arrange with the translator.
I would be happy, appropriate to ask some advice to those who have more experience than I about the crossbow and its accessories
Specifically I was fascinated by the skills of Boo in making the strings and I like to know if he has ever measured the tension of the string mounted on the Gig in carrying out the serving.
For example, I measured with a rudimentary dynamometer, taking the string stretched well on my gig up to a length of about 26.2” and placing at its center the dynamometer. Applying an effort vertically down about 3 kg. = 6,6 lbs I measured a shift 1 cm .= 0.4 "
It 'just this tension?
Greetings to all
Tytoalba
P.S Post some pictures of what I do
[urlhttp://img234.imageshack.us/img234/484/copiadigigao7.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2756 ... maxwp2.jpg
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/5507/c ... ngscs0.jpg
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1759/c ... maxka3.jpg
][/url]
Excal Exomax
Matthias Absorber V-Bar
2216 Easton arrows FOC 21,8% Blazer 1,5" 544gr
Flemish self rope in FF Plus 40 wires, serving in Dyneema 45 kg of traction effort
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Very cool first post! I loved the sentence "Finally I was kidnapped by the charm of crossbow". :D
I use the same jig as Boo, actually he made it for me. It is capable of snapping the string with ease if not use correctly. I can't speak for him but when I put tension on my string to serve it I use my senses, not a tool. I keep cranking it until it "feels" right. Then I apply the serving.
I remember when Boo snapped a string in his jig, he called and was pretty excited about it, I could not imagine the sound it must have made. With his jig I can put enough tension on a string that I can not flex it, I mean my kid can walk that string without it moving, I had to be close to exploding it, but it never happened.
It would be interesting to measure the exact tensile strength of a string, but I can only assume it would vary from string material, thickness and number of strands.
Every time I think about serving my own I think about a time Boo was on my deck, he was serving a string for me (I video taped it) and as he wound the serving the wax from the string below it was oozing from the gaps, it was quite a sight to see, like a slow motion tidal wave of wax being forced from one end to the other. There is more behind a Boo string than raw material, you'll see. :wink:
Welcome to the forum Tytoalba, lots to learn. We have many string makers among us, the knowledge never stops. Enjoy your stay here.

David
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

I doubt you are putting as much tension on the serving as I am. I see you are using a Beiter Winder. I have two of them and they cannot generate enough resistance in the spool to serve as tight as I like them.
I think you should send me an email to get more information from me. I don't think the mangiacakes here would be interested in all the information.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Boo wrote: I don't think the mangiacakes here would be interested in all the information.
What did you just call me? :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

Pydpiper wrote:
Boo wrote: I don't think the mangiacakes here would be interested in all the information.
What did you just call me? :D
LOL! Cake eater!
huntman

Post by huntman »

Boo wrote:I doubt you are putting as much tension on the serving as I am. I see you are using a Beiter Winder. I have two of them and they cannot generate enough resistance in the spool to serve as tight as I like them.
I think you should send me an email to get more information from me. I don't think the mangiacakes here would be interested in all the information.
LMFAO!!! that was funny Don!! I had to read that twice, cause i couldnt believe you said it!
Boo

Post by Boo »

huntman wrote:
Boo wrote:I doubt you are putting as much tension on the serving as I am. I see you are using a Beiter Winder. I have two of them and they cannot generate enough resistance in the spool to serve as tight as I like them.
LMFAO!!! that was funny Don!! I had to read that twice, cause i couldnt believe you said it!
I've heard that countless times being brought up in East York.
Boo

Post by Boo »

BTW, if enough guys want to hear about reserving I will gladly converse with tytoalba here on a thread.
mikej

Post by mikej »

i'd love to hear what is involved don
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Of course we want to hear!
WMU 91
Boo string
huntman

Post by huntman »

I would find that to be a very interesting read!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Well then I think the ball is in tytoalba's court.