Stong Winds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

spitfire125

Stong Winds

Post by spitfire125 »

Anybody go out hunting in the strong winds of ontario this weekend. Have you seen much activity or movement , Debating whether or not to go out this afternoon
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I went out sat night in the Hamilton area not really expecting to see much because of the high winds. around 5:00 I saw a doe out of range, and another at 6. But boy were they SPOOKY!!I guess they were bedded during the morning rain/wind and decided to come out in the eve.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sunset

Post by sunset »

I went scouting Thursday and found fresh scrapes that had just appeared. I hunted Friday morning and saw more scrapes. The wind started building thru Friday but we hunted Friday night anyway. Turned out to be too windy. Went out Saturday night since it wasn;t actually raining as predicted. Again it was too windy even in the bush. I'll wait this system out since we have such a generous season.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I find wind to be a great time to hunt in the corn rows, the noise is well covered on days like this.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Pydpiper wrote:I find wind to be a great time to hunt in the corn rows, the noise is well covered on days like this.
I do the same thing Pydpiper. I love hunting standing corn when a gale is blowing. I do however hunt with my compound instead of my phoenix as it is so much easier with a vertical instead of a horizontal.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I was out in the flamborough swamp hunting turkeys on sat I was able to get to 70yds on a bedded doe and fawn lying on a high clump of cedars I thought jets where overhead at times with that wind howling I called in 15 hens to just outside of crossbow range I was surprised by how loud they are in the bush!!I was not able to close the deal with the exomax the birds were really nervous I think it was because of the wind!!
The best things in life are not things!!
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Windy in AB too!
We had winds up to 102 kph in Edmonton on Saturday! http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/081026/c ... wind_fatal

No way was I going out in that!. I went out on Sun after church and many trees were down on the trail leading to my stand.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
honker

Post by honker »

Too windy out my way... no point wasting time and educating them where i hunt!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

the low is forming in the NE right now so the east coast of the US is gonna see 20-45mph gusts for the next few days...

im gonna try to hunt a few mornings before the wind kicks up to much... i never have good luck hunting in winds above 20mph
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Bad winds equal a bad situation! If I encounter a wind shift I get out of the woods. There no worse feeling then getting busted doing something you know is wrong! I file this to learning from your mistakes..
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Hunting in the wind is down right dangerous. Even a small branch that breaks off, can hurt you bad, not to mention a tree. :cry:

But.......... if you ever want to walk up on a BIG BUCK, that's the time. My tip if your hunting in a heavy wind, Always walk in a cross wind direction. A big buck can smell you if your up wind, and can see you down wind, cause that's where he's looking.

But that darn cross wind, messes them up but good. After years and years of still hunting or stalking you learn quick.

Grey Owl