Question..meat grinders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WAB

Question..meat grinders

Post by WAB »

I have been processing my venison for years now and have always had trouble when it comes to making the burger. for some reason it starts out ok, but then it gums up and just starts spinning inside without grinding. I have sharpened the cutters but unless l clean it every couple minutes it jams up again. this is a hand crank one. anyone have any advise on this

thanks
Boo

Post by Boo »

I get that when I feed mine too much sinew. The white stuff gets stuck between the cutters and the plate with the holes.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Buck Fever

Post by Buck Fever »

I find the grinding works best when it is really cold or partially frozen. Once the meat warms a bit that is where it gets gummed up.
dutchhunter

grinder

Post by dutchhunter »

you may have to try to tighten up the collar with a shime of sorts i find this happens when the blade is not tight enough to the plate thy must be very tight good luck DUTCH
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

In school we where told to keep the grinder in the freezer..To keep the fat in sold form..
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

That's exactly what happens to me WAB.

I'm glad I read this post, because Buck Fever and Brainiac have the answer. Why didn't I think of that??? :roll: :roll:
Thanks guys for the valuable tip.

Grey Owl
huntman

Post by huntman »

When i was in high school i worked in the meat dept of a supermarket, and the meat grinder was located in the walk in cooler!
WAB

Post by WAB »

thanks guys, sounds like I should try to convince my wife we need a walk in cooler, (like that would fly). Will try to get the meat cooler and see if it helps... now I just need to get back out and find the next deer that steps forward for this experiment...
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Boo wrote:I get that when I feed mine too much sinew. The white stuff gets stuck between the cutters and the plate with the holes.
Boo is exactly right. Trimming the whiteskin and sinew from your cuts is the solution to a clean grind and long grinding without disassembly.

This is especially true with hand grinders.

Trim your meat. Better grinding, better eating.

:D
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

All the replies are correct. :wink:
Trim the meat carefully, and keep the meat (and grinder) cool.
If yopur grinder has optional plates, use a coarse grind first then re-grind it finer if desired.
wabi
mikej

Post by mikej »

i do both i trim everything i can off of it leaving only goood meat and grind the meat when it is frozen. i have never tried leaving the grinder in the freezer. thanks for the tip