gold tip brass inserts in firebolts, it's all good

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

njxbow

gold tip brass inserts in firebolts, it's all good

Post by njxbow »

i've recently ordered brass gold tip inserts in an attempt to use them in stock firebolts that i've recently purchased. the brass inserts are about a 1/4 inch longer than the stock firebolt inserts which appeared to have been glued with a black colored epoxy. when i tried to install the brass insert, it hung up about 1/4 inch from full insertion. this is due to excess glue/epoxy inside the shaft of the bolt at the end of the stock insert. the following protocol worked for me resulting in the brass gold tip insert fitting perfectly inside the firebolt shaft:

1. boil some water in a pot
2. place the stock bolt with a field point installed inside the boiling water for about a minute
3. grab point with pliers and remove point with insert attached
4. install brass insert as far as it will go, should hang up about 1/4 inch from full insertion
5. insert bolt and brass insert back into the boiling water for about a minute or so
6. take the bolt and press down on the insert to dislodge the epoxy that caused the brass insert to hang up and prevent full insertion of the brass insert
7. install filed point in brass insert, remove point with brass insert, re-install brass insert with hot melt and you're good to go
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I had the same problem also.. thanks for the info:)
saxman

Post by saxman »

Could the amount of epoxy used on each insert be the reason for differances in arrow weight?
Just a thought,may be splitting hairs
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

to me the weight per inch of carbon arrows is really too light. i wish they would make them at least 10/12 grs per inch in weight plus 125 gr brass inserts. i do believe the carbon arrows were made for target/3-D shooting crowd
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Wishbone

Post by Wishbone »

Thanks for the great info.
Every moment in the woods is a gift from above, having the Excalibur with is a blessing...
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

saxman wrote:Could the amount of epoxy used on each insert be the reason for differances in arrow weight?
Just a thought,may be splitting hairs
when i glued up my firebolts and 2117 they had 2 to 3gr span from the batch of 6 in each when all the dry componets were the same weight, so it had to be the glue....

2117 were any where from 558gr to 560gr....

firebolts were from 527gr to 530gr....

....i don't think it makes any difference with 2 or 3grs in weight..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

A .270 cal bronze bristle brush chucked up in a drill held in a vise does wonders for cleaning out the insides of carbon shafts. I prefer to push the end of the shaft about 1/4-3/8" past the bristles to not hone on that portion of the shaft which seems to locate the insert. Just give it a quick spin, don't dwell on it, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
michiganman

firebolt

Post by michiganman »

i just cleaned mine up also.i have a small round file that i use to sharpen my chain saw blade.i used this inside the shaft to remove glue.it worked real well,i did just enough for snug fit.my fire bolts with a 100 grain head are now 453 grains each.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

awshucks wrote:A .270 cal bronze bristle brush chucked up in a drill held in a vise does wonders for cleaning out the insides of carbon shafts. I prefer to push the end of the shaft about 1/4-3/8" past the bristles to not hone on that portion of the shaft which seems to locate the insert. Just give it a quick spin, don't dwell on it, lol.
I have been having an issue with inserts pulling out and was determined to find a way to clean my shafts internals, I picked up a brush last week for that exact reason, I even went so far as to use a bore brush too. Good thinking as usual Dan. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
STANDS ALONE

Post by STANDS ALONE »

I HAVE FOUND THAT THE EXCALIBUR ARROW PULLER WORKS GREAT FOR REMOVING POINT INSERTS & NOCKS, NO NEED FOR PLIERS & YOU GET A GOOD GRIP.
Exomax x 2
Custom Ground Pounder mounts x 2
Custom Boo Strings
Wolfszeit Adjustable Scope Mount
6-24X50 Mildot Scope
STS
Matthias Custom Inserts with Nap Nitron 125grn
1.5 Mini Blazer Vanes 3 degree r/h offset
20" Easton 2219 XX78 super slam