Not pulling the trigger

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Not pulling the trigger

Post by raydaughety »

We were hunting with hounds yesterday and Tyler and I were sitting in a favorite spot watching a 4 way intersection when we heard the hounds coming our way. Unfortunately, the hounds attracted a couple of trucks that pulled up to the intersection. A small buck pops out into the road and was staring down the barrel of Tyler's .243 at a mere 50 yards. Tyler said "bang" and the young buck hopped on across the road, taking a half dozen beagles with him. One guy jumps out of his truck, looked at me and said "why didn't you let the boy shoot him." I said that it was Tyler's decision and he decided not to shoot. The guy looks at Tyler and said " son, you ain't never going to kill your first one if you don't pull the trigger. Tyler calmly looked at him and said, I killed my first deer 4 years ago when I was 7 years old and I usually tag out every year, the buck wasn't a legal buck because he did not have a fork above his ears on both sides". My chest swelled with pride as the guy tried to figure out what to say next. :lol: . Of course we passed the same truck in the afternoon with a spike on the tailgate that totes a $100 club fine. Not surprised, not surprised at all. I'm not saying that Tyler's never killed a young buck, I'm just proud of him for knowing that we have a healthy enough herd that if we need meat, he knows that a tasty doe is usually a better choice and we usually can get a crack at a couple on a Saturday at the club. I'm so tired of hearing " If I don't shoot him someone else will ".
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Well done Tyler.
Wishbone

Post by Wishbone »

Ray,
Great story thanks for sharing.. He's not even my kid and I want to hug him.
Some fine teaching there..
Kevin
Every moment in the woods is a gift from above, having the Excalibur with is a blessing...
fletch

Post by fletch »

Glad too see Tyler isn't intimidated by guys like that and he lets them know it. Too bad he didn't learn anything from Tyler, he should have listened maybe he would shoot a nice deer then. :wink:
Exomax w/ Lumizone
custom Boo string w/silencers
GT II's w/r helical 4 deg offset
Slik Triks and Lumenoks
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Great job!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
wabi

Post by wabi »

Tyler,
I'm sure you make your dad proud, you sure make a lot of here on the forum proud by showing the highest hunting ethics. It's good to know there are young hunters following in the footsteps of the older generation, and the sport will live on.
wabi
cdup

Post by cdup »

lol, great story! :) Good to see how he makes the right choice at critical times. It shows how well of a teacher he has. Congrats to both of you! :D
Respect everyone, but fear no one
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Good for you Tyler, for making sure of your target. I'm sure a bigger fella is out there waiting.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Good for Tyler!!!! We're all proud of him!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go, Tyler! :D
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

good job.... oneday he will pass on what you taught him to his kids 8)

my dad taught me the same skills
Mike P

Re: Not pulling the trigger

Post by Mike P »

raydaughety wrote: I'm not saying that Tyler's never killed a young buck, I'm just proud of him for knowing that we have a healthy enough herd that if we need meat, he knows that a tasty doe is usually a better choice and we usually can get a crack at a couple on a Saturday at the club. I'm so tired of hearing " If I don't shoot him someone else will ".
That is just music to my ears Ray. Tell Tyler I am proud of him!

You may notice that I seldom reply to posts with my "congratulations" for small bucks that are killed. I will give a hearty "congrats" to hunters taking a small buck if it is their first buck ever. I just have a hard time congratulating guys for taking a young buck for meat when there are so many doe's available. It just makes no sense to me. And later when these same hunters complain that there are just no large bucks in their area I want to scream!

The "if I don't shoot them someone else will" argument is just so very lame and has no merit whatsoever.

Tyler, you are beginning to learn that there sometimes is more satisfaction letting a deer walk then there is killing it. And you are learning this lesson at a tender young age.

Some just never learn this lesson.
saxman

Post by saxman »

way to man up Tyler
I'm not at all suprised at your decision
You were tought respect and integrity at a young age and it will stay with you all of your days
WELL DONE SON :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
maple

Post by maple »

Atta boys Ray and Tyler.

Good on youze.

Maple
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

When that deer hit the ditchbank on the other side, the first thing that came to my mind was, Mike P is going to be proud of you when he hears about this. He is a joy to hunt with and he's really excited about our trip in 2 weeks. I pray that my pain level will decrease in the coming weeks so that we can enjoy ourselves.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray