need help pulling inserts...............

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob1961

need help pulling inserts...............

Post by bob1961 »

just got my GT II brass inserts for my arrows and i can't get the crazy glued inserts out....i boiled the shaft in water and have the insert loose from the glue and able to spin it in the arrow....but i can't get it out by vise-grip on field tip and pulling, wacking the vise-grip with a hammer or a steel rod in the arrow shaft from the rear wacking with the hammer....i'm guessing the glue is bonded to the carbon shaft and the grooves on the insert are whats holding it in there....any ideas :cry: ...........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i don't know i haven't ever tried to get them out of carbons once i put them in. all you can do is get that water a boiling and hold it under fer awhile and try it abit more. you don't want to put no fire close to them as it will ruin them. you can always measure the old alum insert and cut that much off and install the brass one's
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I use a heat gun, the kind used for stripping paint. Direct the heat at the insert as mush as possible and keep turning the arrow. A wisp of smoke will appear, and /or a little shiny substance between the insert ad shaft, as the glue lets loose. Grasp the insert with pliers and pull while twisting. If it's stubborn, heat more. You can partially screw in a field tip and carefully heat it with a torch or heat gun to transfer the heat to the insert.
njxbow

Post by njxbow »

what i had to do to remove a few of the aluminum inserts was to put a field point on the shaft then hold the field point over a candle flame to heat up the insert and soften the glue. it took as much as a minute to get the insert to come out with pliers but there was no damage to the shaft. i then boiled the tip of the shaft to soften the excess glue inside the shaft before inserting a brass insert without glue first, just to break loose the old glue. hope this helps as it worked for me
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i got the inserts out when they were glued with glue from the factory, but i used CA 1000 glue to glue them in with the threaded rod slugs i used....but the slugs were coming loose when i fired my xbow and blew out the nock in flight....i can get the inserts loose but not out even with hammering on them from behind and from the tip with the vise-grips on a target tip....just short of filling the shaft up with expanding window foam in a can to hold them in place i'm lost as to getting them out :? ...........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Ace hdwe sells 8-32 tpi threaded rod in 6" lengths. A piece of that in a vise w/ about 3" sticking out, screw insert on end, heat well away from shaft w/ propane torch while pulling on shaft w/ other hand.

Here's a link to Matthias 72's site in Italy. He's made those heavy weight arrows you are trying for w/ better results, just hunt for the info, it's there somewhere along w/ a lot of other test data he's done.

http://www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.o ... Main0.html
"Eze 18:21"
Fred

Post by Fred »

If you like to fiddle with arrows carbon 's are a joke if you can get the inserts to stay in more than a year you can't get them out if you want to try something else, and a lot of the shafting is crooked gimme good ole aluminum any day parts are easy to get and you can play with them without risk of ruin
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

awshucks....i have his site saved and saw the thread on gluing arrows inside each other

fred....that's why i have a set of 2117's ready to go hunting from my compound days...............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.