Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

The ringing nose in my ears
ninepointer

Re: what do you dislike most about the shotgun hunt

Post by ninepointer »

munch wrote:i wish the mnr would rethink deer drives as i think this is where a lot of this comes from and if you sat and waited you would have a good chance of getting a deer anyway .just my 2 cents
Holding one method of hunting over another is simply sanctimonious nonsense. There are a whole lot of nonhunters and anti-hunters who feel that sitting in an elevated stand, waiting for deer to come in close is highly unfair. I once had a guy try to tell me that there's nothing sporting about shooting a deer at 18 yards :roll:

I think your issue is with slob hunters, and these come in all forms. Just today my neighbour was telling me about a buck he saw walking around with an arrow sticking out of its neck.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

You have a good point ninepointer,

People need to clean up there garbage after themselves when they go into the woods.
I notice more of it after the shoot gun week eg: ground blind boxes. Like what gives?
I was taking to a guy who hunts with a group of four guys, all with crossbows.
Well so far they have shot 5 or 6 deer between them (can't remember which). Only recovered one.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I don't know what to say or do about that.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
munch

Post by munch »

ninepointer wrote:
munch wrote:i wish the mnr would rethink deer drives as i think this is where a lot of this comes from and if you sat and waited you would have a good chance of getting a deer anyway .just my 2 cents
Holding one method of hunting over another is simply sanctimonious nonsense. There are a whole lot of nonhunters and anti-hunters who feel that sitting in an elevated stand, waiting for deer to come in close is highly unfair. I once had a guy try to tell me that there's nothing sporting about shooting a deer at 18 yards :roll:

I think your issue is with slob hunters, and these come in all forms. Just today my neighbour was telling me about a buck he saw walking around with an arrow sticking out of its neck.
I WAS NOT TRYING TO SAY BOW HUNTING IS BETTER I SHOT THIS DEER IN THE SHOTGUN HUNT AND I GUESS THE REAL ISSUE IS HOW SOME FELL THE NEED JUST TO SHOOT FOR THE SAKE OF SHOOTING. I PERFFER TO BOW HUNT AND HUNT WITH A COMPOUND BOW AS WELL AS MY EXOMAG AND I KNOW THE EXOMAG WILL KILL DEER AT 50 YARDS BUT MYSELF HAVE NEVER SHOT AT ONE OVER 30 YARDS .I KNOW BOWHUNTERS WILL .I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE MY KIDS SHOTGUN HUNTING MORE BUT DON,T FELL SAFE WITH THE GUYS WHO FILL THE NEED JUST TO SPRY LEAD AT ANYTHING
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

here when shotgun season comes in so does dog hunting... I do both types of hunting. I love the shotgun and love hearing dogs run. Plus, its fast paced so I can take my lil ones now and they dont get bored within 30mins. But the reason for the shotgun here is so you can hit the deer with buckshot. I wont shoot over 50 yards normally since its pointless with buckshot. If someone's shooting 300 yards with buckshot then they do have issues.

I can kill more or bigger deer stillhunting, but I love the excitment of hearing dogs run. Its to each his own though :D But just like with shotguns, its people that shouldnt be out there with bows shooting 70 yards and etc :D
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

munch wrote:i wish the mnr would rethink deer drives as i think this is where a lot of this comes from
munch wrote: I WAS NOT TRYING TO SAY BOW HUNTING IS BETTER I SHOT THIS DEER IN THE SHOTGUN HUNT AND I GUESS THE REAL ISSUE IS HOW SOME FELL THE NEED JUST TO SHOOT FOR THE SAKE OF SHOOTING. I PERFFER TO BOW HUNT AND HUNT WITH A COMPOUND BOW AS WELL AS MY EXOMAG AND I KNOW THE EXOMAG WILL KILL DEER AT 50 YARDS BUT MYSELF HAVE NEVER SHOT AT ONE OVER 30 YARDS .I KNOW BOWHUNTERS WILL .I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE MY KIDS SHOTGUN HUNTING MORE BUT DON,T FELL SAFE WITH THE GUYS WHO FILL THE NEED JUST TO SPRY LEAD AT ANYTHING
Sure sounds to me like you're saying that deer drives are the root of slob hunting and therefore should be banned. Am I missing something?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I enjoy all types of hunting including running the hounds up north( very fast and exciting)but I think the point is as RJ found out all it takes is a bad apple to ruin it for the rest or give all of us a bad image.
The best things in life are not things!!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I think what it all comes down to is we all enjoy hunting and if we do it different ways so be it .With having 7 tags available here in 80 I think the MNR is trying to use the hunters to the best of their limited ability to manage the herd . What vix said is how we hunt the controlled hunt as well .We look at it as longer distance bow hunting ,that deer that stands out at 60 yards is no longer safe with my frontstuffer . :) We were talking to a CO and the charges laid this year were no plugs .
mikej

Post by mikej »

Kelley wrote:
FredBear wrote:I agree with fox. If you not for hunting then your against it. If everyone got a type of hunting banned they didn't care for. Then there would be no hunting! I personally can't stand dog hunting, but you would never see me try to get it banned. It boils down to a black and white topic. Your for hunting, or your against hunting.
Xs 2!!! I agree with every word.
i agree also with the exception that i love dog hunting as crazy farmer wrote its fast paced and exciting. i think however a person chooses to hunt as long as its a legal method is a matter of personal preferance and is perfectly acceptable just because one person doesn't like that specific type of hunting doesn't mean that another person can't hunt that way or enjoy that type of hunting. we don't have a shot gun season here but if we did i would participate. in the first 2 weeks of november here we hunt with rifles or shotguns and use dogs. if someone chooses to shoot 2 or 300 yards that is up to them i wouldn't and in this area it is almost impossible to shoot 100 yards because of thick brush. another opinion of some is that you shouldn't be allowed to hunt over bait and feel that you are simpily leading a deer to its slaughter,i have been told that on a number of occasions but it is a perfectly legal method of hunting here and it has been very effective for me while bow hunting. just my opinion
Last edited by mikej on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

[quote="Fishn-Hunter"]I personaly don't like the fact that it turns alot of deer nocturnal for weeks after the shotgun hunt is finished, it makes for tough bowhunting post shotgun.

I agree with fishn-hunter, I got my PAL when i got my outdoors card 4 years ago but never used it. I perfer bowhunting. But after not seeing deer much after gun week I decided to use the shotgun this year. I would like to beleive that the vast majority of gunhunters have respect for their game and the land, but I have seen too much damage to farmers feild and litter every where. BUT maybee thats rare.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
mikej

Post by mikej »

i too tend to see alot of litter after the gun hunt but then again i see that bow hunting and even fishing so i think its more not having any respect for the land especially private property that someone has given you special permission to use
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Dislikes.. Hmmm
I dislike the trucks/cars packed with orange clad hunters driving all around my place looking for deer, or a place to get out and hunt them. It makes it very hard to tell people that I am a hunter when they associate that fact with what they see during the controlled hunt.
You will never see a truck full of bow hunters cruising the side roads, and if you did you likely wouldn't know what they are doing.
If you live in the city this isn't likely a concern for you, but when you live where we do and every 2nd car is crawling around with the windows down peering in to every nook and cranny for a place to get out and hunt it becomes a very real concern for each week it happens. It becomes the talk of all the town folk, the stories start coming out how people have hunters running through their property, finding debris, carcases and who knows what else. Again, in the city it is just business as usual, but when it is something you experience every day of the hunt it becomes a real issue.
My neighbor says he gets at least 6 people a day looking for permission during the hunt, what is wrong with asking before the hunt? Last week we were doing some yard work, 3 trucks pulled up to my neighbors, 3 guys got out and approached his wife, she does not speak English fluently, they got louder and louder until she finally had to go in the house in frustration. The whole time they stood in her drive they were smoking, camo clad and disposing of their cigarettes in here drive, this is not an old country home, it is a beautiful home of a retired tobacco farmer.
These people (my neigbors) know I hunt everyday, they are close to my family and plan their morning walks so they can hug my kids before they get on the bus, but during the week of the controlled hunt they become distant and stay that way for a while thereafter. They lose their respect for the sport, plain and simple.
a city guy can not get the opportunity to know what it is I am talking about, they don't stand in line in the village grocery store listening to what non hunters think of hunting and why. It is not the bow hunters that show up quietly and leave the same way that they are talking about, or the shot-gunners that have existing property, it is the slobs that see the controlled hunt as an excuse to throw away all conventional methods of hunting including the rights of property owners and shoot deer.
My problem with that is the fact that non hunters do not know a bow hunter from a shotgun slob, in their eyes a hunter is a hunter. In a few days the community will calm down again and I can discuss hunting with the clerk in the hardware store again without the rest of the customers walking out (and seeing the orange clad hunters loading the truck with beer in the store across the road).
There is a very distinct difference between a bow hunter and a slob, unfortunately the public never sees the good hunters, they are forced to form their opinion on what they do see. Spend a day of the controlled hunt on my front lawn and you too will lose a bit of respect for this week of chaos.

Controlled, yeah right.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

well I guess I must be a slob because I enjoy the gun hunt,I have hunted with the same guys for the last 20 yrs and made many good people along the way.a couple of the guys are farmers so we know all the land owners and respect thir lands and crops.spent a terrific day yesterday cutting up our 10 deer.I will go back to a slob next week for another gun hunt on manitolon island with 9 more slobs!Maybe some of yous should look in the mirror before passing judgement.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Interesting take on the conversation BPW, I am pretty sure that nowhere in this thread did anybody knock the hunt for what it is, a hunt. I certainly know I didn't.
If you have land to hunt and respect that land and the owner then you are simply a hunter, no better or worse than any other guy with any other form of hunting.
When I use the term slobs I am referencing the guys who don't take the time to acquire land before then hunt and are often found parked alongside land they think may contain deer, exit the vehicle hunt it with no concern for the land owner then move on to the next spot. The stories that come from the farmers around here are mind boggling, but I have never heard a complaint from one who has allowed the use of their land. There are two very different hunters out there during the controlled hunt, those who use basic ethics and slobs. Heck, there are two different hunters regardless of the season, the slob shot gunners just make their presence far more noticeable.
I see no ethical issues with shotgun hunting, and a shotgun doesn't make a person a slob, it is how some portray themselves as hunters that costs them respect.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DanO

Post by DanO »

Before I had a crossbow I used to wait all year for the shotgun hunt. I don't have a problem with the controlled hunt. The number of people wearing orange reminds me of my youth in Northern Ontario. It's a wake up call to the urban population that lots of people still chose to harvest from the land and that hunting is a legal activity. It's interesting to stand in a Tim Hortons line with several orange patrons.

I do have a problem with the amount of trespass and sketchy hunting (roadway shooting). And yes it does create problems for the ethical hunter after the controlled hunt is over. I see some of the same problems in the turkey hunt in the spring. I wonder if bowhunting ever gets as popular as the shotgun season will we see the same problems. Hope not!

Isn't the problem a combination of more enforcement and in some cases more education of hunters. I did see more OPP on the back roads this past week. The turkey program seems to solve many of the problems as they stress ethics and safety.

Society did a good job of isolating the spring bear hunters lets not create an opportunity for the antis to cut the shotgun hunters out of the hunting herd.
:(
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.