what do you dislike most about the shotgun hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Trespassers.......good for nothing scum.
I come by my name honestly.
dutchhunter

i love my guns and my xbow

Post by dutchhunter »

but this past week was all guns the area we hunt is large between 6 large towns and we have a lot of people just driving around lookin for deer .as well there was not one MNR truck seen in our area this season i think his is part of the problem it gets wores every year my bigges problem is trespasers and with no funds for the mnr there is no patrol as threr has been other years .my 2 cents DUTCH
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

All those people with guns walking around, ready to shoot anything that moves. After 'Nam, hunting has become a solitary experience for me. Prefer the leisurely pace of crossbow hunting. When I do pick up a rifle, scoped handgun or ML I get to places where there are no people nearby. It's more work to get way back but worth it. Fortunately I hunt on private land, with like minded people, that offers me the luxury of being alone.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Pyd, no doubt your experiences don't do much for the image of hunters but it's not like that everywhere. I have no doubt there are areas that are frequented by slob hunters but in the 18 years that I've been doing the controlled hunt in various parts of Southern Ontario I haven't seen much of that. I've rarely heard the farmers in the areas I hunt complain about trespassers and only once have I come across one. The only trucks full of orange clad hunters I see every year are guys going to and from their hunting areas.
Again, I'm not doubting your experiences it just sounds like you're in a bad area. It's not like that everywhere. It's a shame that a few a-holes seem to be giving the entire controlled hunt a bad name. It's a wonderful time to be out and I look forward to it every year.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
boogap

Post by boogap »

Not everyone ownes their own land. Sometimes, you get to your area and find the landowner has granted permission to others. What do you do then? Go home? Give up hunting? Play golf?
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Well said Pydpiper. I think alot of deer get wounded in the controlled hunt. I dislike the guy's who "think" they have permission to hunt anywhere they want.
I also enjoy putting the xbow away for a week and carry my slug gun or my T/C muzzleloader with me. Like VixChix, I hunt the same as when I bowhunt.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I was in CT and WalMart the Saturday before local shotgun week (and up north rifle week) and I was truly AMAZED at how many guys I saw shopping for their hunting gear (clothes, boots, packs, accessories) for hunting two days later. I couldn't believe that these people wouldn't give some thought to their gear any earlier than that. I mean, new boots?!??! That's just stupid. Makes me wonder if they dedicated any more time to preparing for the hunt with their firearms?

I drove away from the shopping centre thinking about how these people were going to be out in the woods in a couple of days. It wasn't a pleasant thought. Although they seemed to be nice enough human beings, these definitely weren't the kind of hunters I'd want to have to share the woods with.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
dschnarr

Post by dschnarr »

I talked to the farmers that I have permission from at least a week before the controlled hunt to see if I could use the shotgun on there property. The farmer does not like the big groups on his property. My hunting partner and I are lucky because he will only let us on his property.I tell the farmer that we do not push the deer we let them come to us.Last year he let a group on but he did not feel safe to let any groups on any more. This year I was sitting at the field edge and all I could here was gun shots. I wounder how many got shot? For us It was 1 Shot 1 deer.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

boogap wrote:Not everyone ownes their own land. Sometimes, you get to your area and find the landowner has granted permission to others. What do you do then? Go home? Give up hunting? Play golf?
I don't own land, each parcel I do hunt I have permission for, I will never get to a farm to find they have let someone else use it, and if I do it will be shared permission. Why? Well, because I appreciate the huge favor that has been given to me, I stay in contact with each and every landowner, I bring them meat regardless of whether the game has come from their land, I show up unexpected in off seasons to lend a hand around the farm or house, I send Christmas cards, simply put, I respect and treasure each person who grants me permission. If changes were made I would know long before hunting season started.
I go overboard with my gratitude, I'll admit, but I will never be overlooked when it comes time to hunt. Word gets around fast too, they will tell friends and give references.
I would take it very personally if a land owner turned me down, so to answer your question, yes, I would go home. Too damn cold to golf anyways.
Never give up, just prepare.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dschnarr

Post by dschnarr »

Each year I give the farmers meat and cards. They all have our phone numbers so if they need help they can call. In the summer we fixed his barn roof to help him out. If they allow any one else on their property they let us know. We have to respect the farmers land It is their money!!!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We do the same as you guys. We get our OFAH permission forms signed, leave them all of our contact info and a description of the cars we drive. We offer to help out the landowner around the place, etc. Around Christmas we drop off some nice cuts of packaged meat with recipe cards, a note of thanks, a bottle of wine.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: My biggest beef about the shotgun hunt is all the IDIOTS that are shooting before and after legal shoooting time and i'm not talking a couple of minutes, i'm talking 15-20 minutes!!!!! Other than that, I LOVE THE SHOTGUN HUNT! By the way our groupmanaged 4 bucks and 4 does for 7 of us! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)

If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Nice photo Mike! Glad to see the ladies out there too! :lol:

Maybe some of the late night shots are MLs firing off their loads after the hunt?
JRS

Post by JRS »

schnarrfuss wrote:I dislike the guy's who "think" they have permission to hunt anywhere they want.
Ditto for me on that comment. A lot of people just go where they want, without the proper permission. During the controlled hunts I have had groups come through areas I am hunting with the only permission granted, and in talking with them, they have no idea whose property they are on. They just thought it looked like a promising area. Like others, I work year long on maintaining good relations with the farmers, and resent the guys who think they have free reign for one week of the year.
Sleeping Dog

Post by Sleeping Dog »

Wow Munch...How did a simple post turn into a debate on hunter ethics :( .

Some like the shotgun / blackpowder hunt some don't; personally I firmly believe that - for true hunters - hunting is about the journey, not the destination.

I don't participate in the shotgun hunt, but I support it. I don't hunt bear, but I support it. I'll never shoot a polar bear, but I support a sustainable hunt. If we consider ourselves hunters it's important to remember that hunting is a lifestyle, not a sport or a pastime.

There is no room for disention or selectivity within the hunting community.
SD
Visit the Sleeping Dog at Southern Ontario Outdoors
http://www.sooutdoors.ca