Simple questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xhunter

Simple questions

Post by xhunter »

Hi Everybody

I have few questions,

1. When you are on the stand, do you hold your bow all the time? It can get heavy after few hours.

2. Or do you use something to hold the bow on the stand?

3. When you shoot, do you stand up to shoot? I use a ladder stand where I sit. sorry, this might sound stupid, but i am very new.

4. Do any of you use scent killer? if yes, any suggestion?

5. I had a scope cover on my scope, should i keep them open when i am on the stand? I missed a deer, when i try to open the covers, it turns and walk off, At 20 yards, maybe it saw me or smell me.

Thanks
X - FOR XBOW
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Holding the bow is a double edged sword, it does get heavy, but rest assured the moment you set it down you will be in the presence of deer. It takes a long time to get that big bow back up without being spotted, but it can be done.
I hunt from the ground.
Scent killer is a must, or should I say good hygiene is a must. I use cover sprays, but haven't found one to be better than any other. I seem to drift to wards stuff from Hunters Specialties though.
Scope covers, unless it is raining or you are holding the bow vertically (carrying it) then there is no need for the things, i only use one, the one that keeps the rain out when my bow is slung on my shoulder, and it is only closed in extreme weather.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

1) No, On my Summit Bullet Climber I cradle my xbow across the top part or support bar of the climber. My Excal has a short rope tether incase I do something stupid. My stap on tree stand has a home made stop at the end of the foot platform so I can rest it between my knees and supports the stirup. Again, a tether povides safety.

2) An overhead swivel Realtree bow holder screws into the tree when needed.

3)I have shot 80% sitting down and 20% standing up. It depends on the situation.

4) I shower and keep my clothes clean before the hunt. I may spray with a scent eliminator now and then.

5)I keep them open during good weather only.

Hope that might assist.
Last edited by Normous on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xhunter

Post by xhunter »

Thank you for the quick respond, really appreciate this.

I have to be honest, maybe i walk too fast to get on to the stand. there i a little sweat!

I hang them dry every time I am home. I think I should wash it every time from now on.
X - FOR XBOW
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

1) I'm almost always holding my bow. Its resting on my lap so I don't get tired.

2) I install a screw-in tree step on the side of the tree (slightly higher than my head level when I'm sitting) from which I hang my crossbow by the stirrup, in order to free up my hands when I need to get rattling antlers, etc.

3) I've shot one deer while standing, all others while sitting.

4) I wash my hunting clothes in Borax, but I don't use scent killer, I'm just careful of the wind.

5) I don't use scope covers. On Saturday I got to field test Rain-X on my scope (we had rain, then hail :shock: ), it worked well. If the deer saw you flip up your scope covers, chances are it would have also seen you raise your crossbow. Pick your moments, most of us have learned this the hard way :wink:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
xhunter

Post by xhunter »

ninepointer wrote:1) I'm almost always holding my bow. Its resting on my lap so I don't get tired.
I used a remington 870 ladder stand. there is a bar that make it hard to put the bow on the lap. maybe i should remove that.
X - FOR XBOW
Sleeping Dog

Post by Sleeping Dog »

The less movement the better so I keep my Excal on my lap or leaning against me so I can grab it with little or not motion. I only stand if absolutely necessary; again the less motion the better.

I'm right handed so I tend to sit facing towards my right. It's easier to swing to the left and requires less motion than the other way around. Visa versa for lefties.

SD
Visit the Sleeping Dog at Southern Ontario Outdoors
http://www.sooutdoors.ca
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I hunt mostly from the ground and I use a shooting stick to keep my bow up and ready. Even wearing black in a ground blind with 2 1/2 windows closed I've been busted trying to raise my gun or bow. On my climbing stand I can rest it on the rail.

I use scent killer. Wash my clothes often, hang them to dry, hang them out or keep them in a bag when I'm not hunting. I also shower with scent eliminating soap before I head out. With the warmer weather last week I was sometimes showering twice - once before my morning hunt and once before the afternoon hunt. I don't wear my camo for anything but hunting and will often change out of it before I go home.

I don't use scope covers. We bought some at Bass Pro a couple of years back, but they were the wrong size (mispackaged) - haven't been back since and have found we don't need them.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Always hold onto my crosbow, even while peeing in a bottle. :shock: If I had to I could shoot one handed.

Sitting and standing. Standing if I have time to get up or am peeing in a bottle. Sitting if a deer comes in without warning or doesn't offer me a chance to stand.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

My ladder stand has a shooting rail, and I just rest the crossbow on the rail. When using a stand without a rail I like to use a screw-in tree step (wrapped with electrical tape to silence it) on a limb slightly above my stand to hang the bow on when possible.
I shoot sitting, and use the shooting rail when possible.
When stand hunting I don't worry too much about scent. I locate the stand so the prevailing wind carries my scent away from the direction I expect deer to approach. Good hygiene is just common sense, but you'll never be 100% scent free, so I don't get to obsessed by it. I do recommend rubber boots for the walk in.
I don't use a scope cover, but if it's raining or snowing I use a camo handkerchief to cover the scope and trigger/claw area to keep water off. When it gets wet, just wring it out and put it back in place. If it's raining harder than the handkerchief can provide protection for I either move to a ground blind or go home. :lol: Tracking deer in the rain is no fun, anyway. :wink:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Re: Simple questions

Post by crazyfarmer »

1. When you are on the stand, do you hold your bow all the time? It can get heavy after few hours.

I use a ezhanger to hold mine right in front of me, but during the prime hour before sunset or right after sunrise I have it on my knees resting.

3. When you shoot, do you stand up to shoot? I use a ladder stand where I sit. sorry, this might sound stupid, but i am very new.

Im sitting down unless its a weird angle and I have to stand to shoot

4. Do any of you use scent killer? if yes, any suggestion?

scent killer or scent away works like a charm... just spray down before entering the woods. I buy the stuff by the gallons LOL

5. I had a scope cover on my scope, should i keep them open when i am on the stand? I missed a deer, when i try to open the covers, it turns and walk off, At 20 yards, maybe it saw me or smell me.

I use the butler creek flip opens and I have them open when in the stand, unless its raining.. being that mine are see thru also helps with quick shots
mikej

Post by mikej »

i rest my bow on my shooting rail with the stock in my shoulder ready at all times. i shoot sitting down. i always use scent killer from hunters specialties and unscented laundry soap with no uv brighteners. abd flip up scope covers ( blizzard caps) they work great.
xhunter

Post by xhunter »

Thank you so much! Your responds are better than I expected. Really appreciate your helps.

I will take all your suggestions, and made appropriate adjustment next time when I am in the wood.

last questions,

My stand is just about 10 yards from the deer trail. Is that too close?

from my right, deer come down from a slope. top to bottom. I think this make it easier for them to see me. Will this cause any problem?

thanks again.
X - FOR XBOW
mikej

Post by mikej »

how high is it?
xhunter

Post by xhunter »

mikej wrote:how high is it?
15 feet, it is a remington 870 ladder stand.

the slop is about 3 feet high, add the height of the deer, that is another 3 feet.

So i am only about 9 feets from its head.
Last edited by xhunter on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
X - FOR XBOW