What do you do in the stand to pass time

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Usually browse the forum on my smart phone! :D
huntman

Post by huntman »

I do pretty much a little of what everyone else has mentioned!

I use my blackberry and returen work related emails
send texts to my wife and other hunters that are with me in another stand
try to sleep
stare at piece a brush far away that looks like a deer if you stare long enough the damn thing starts to move! lol
think about where the deer will come from
get excited at every little sound that may be a deer
complain about the velcro on my gloves
look around for a better stand location
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

guess I am a little different, Drink a couple cold ones and try not to pee. Just enjoy being by myself
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Try to sit still and just listen. I obsess about all the other "better" places I wished I'd set up instead of where I am. :lol: I try not to think about having to go pee. I pick burrs off my pant legs. I think about my Dad and how much he would have enjoyed being out. I enjoy the scenery, and I thank God for the chance to be out in it. I take some time to pray for friends & family. I check & re-check my that my safety is on and that my arrow is snug in the rail. I daydream a bit.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I watch flock after flock of geese fly over head, you know, the ones that never show up when I'm actually goose hunting! :x :?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You guy are rookies . . .I keep a close eye on my watch. I set it up in the leaves where I can savor every second and still see the deer approach. Yes, I want the hunt to last as long as possible. :wink:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

I hunt - no books, phones, computer, or thoughts of work to distract me from doing what I love to do. :wink:
wabi
mikej

Post by mikej »

VixChix wrote:Try to sit still and just listen. I obsess about all the other "better" places I wished I'd set up instead of where I am. :lol: I try not to think about having to go pee. I pick burrs off my pant legs. I think about my Dad and how much he would have enjoyed being out. I enjoy the scenery, and I thank God for the chance to be out in it. I take some time to pray for friends & family. I check & re-check my that my safety is on and that my arrow is snug in the rail. I daydream a bit.
try not to think about having to pee i thought you would be wanting more oppertunites to practice with your new equipment :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

mikej wrote:try not to think about having to pee i thought you would be wanting more oppertunites to practice with your new equipment :lol:
The equipment has been working great, but it still means I have to put the bow down and leave the blind. My husband laughs at me (um, with me) when we both stand beside the vehicle before heading out. It's sure been nice to to have to worry about mooning anyone or getting mosquito bites or frostbite. I've learned to watch the wind though! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I love to be in the bush, up a tree or on the ground. If its cold, crisp and still (my favorite conditions) I just close my eye's and let my ears go to work and analize every little sound. If its not so cool, crisp and calm I don't get my hopes up. I just enjoy all the other critters going about there business around me and tune out everything but the hunt. Work out strategies for all imaginable senerios of the hunt. CELL STAYS IN THE TRUCK ever since I got busted by a shooter buck, he actually heard it vibrate can you believe that. He came up from behind me, under my stand, just stepped in front of my stand when my phone vibrated :oops: he cranked his head up and back and looked right at me, blew and took off. I don't think I seen another deer from that stand the rest of the season, infact I think that was the only deer I had within bow range of that stand that season :roll: .
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Seriously:

I don't usually do anything but sit there and pay attention to my environment, as hunting here often presents you with only very quick shot opportunities. Sometimes, on rare occasions, I will read a western, or something else appropriate!

I DO take my cell phone. It's only prudent. I might save my own life or someone else's life. I just turn the thing off ... or turn off the ring and vibrate features. :D :wink:
Grizz
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Interesting responses ,as I said before mine is a sort of daydreaming but I`m constantly looking around .
I have also taking a book to read when I have gone out for the the long sit on turkeys .I figure it is better to be occupied with something than to nap and miss even hearing that quarry approach .
Old Buck

Post by Old Buck »

:) I usually just sit and look around and try to memorize the surroundings, that way when and if something changes I hope I notice it. Otherwise its the squirrels,birds, rabbits, coons and the friendly black and whites that keep me alert.
maple

Post by maple »

In the front stand, most time is spent trying to get that tree branch outa my back and find a comfy position to rest in for the passing hours. I switch butt sides a lot. It is in a tight spot so I have to sit very still. There are numerous red squirrels which keep me entertained with their constant quarrelling. I haven't seen a deer there in two years, but I know they are close by in the thick stuff.

In the big stand I can just sit on the bench and enjoy the scenery. There I can read, but seldom do. I've been carrying 'Starting right with bees' in my pack but have yet to open it. I just enjoy the scenery and let my mind wander. It thinks up lots of things on it's own when it's let loose.

I'm not chest-beating religious, but I often thank the Almighty for giving me such cherished time in his world and consider the stand better then church as a place to give thanks for all my blessings.

Maple
DanO

Post by DanO »

After 31 years of clocks and bells, I try to force myself to REALLY observe things around me. It's hard to get yourself slowed down enough to look closely, especially if you're still working. It's a challenge for me to not read or do some text messaging etc. I'm good when it's prime hunting time but in the warmth of the day it's tough not to dose off.

I do alot of what if scenarios. What if the deer walked out there .... how far is it? How would I get a good shot? etc. It actually resulted in a good buck earlier this fall. It walked out right where I'd done my what if scenario. And in the excitement I actually remembered to BAH to get him to stop (I always forget!) because I had rehearsed the scenario.

Dan O.

Love the list though. And yeah, I check my safety over and over (OCD??) and I pick the little burrs out of my camo. Do they make camo that doesn't grab that crap? It makes as much noise as velcro.
:roll:
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.