Yotes!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

I use my wife's 308 Win. and load up some 150gr match bullets and put it behind their ear. I use stuffed animals as well, and add a little life by pulling on them with a fishing line.

My father in law is a trapper so they get donated to him.
Close Up

Post by Close Up »

I have had the same thing happen but this year I have not heard any.If they come in close enought take them I have taken 2 in past years.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Deer, rabbit and grouse populations around our camp are going down, back home in SW ontario as well. The wolves and coyotes are taking care of a lot of tastey game, last winter really hurt though, way too much snow for them to get away.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

The 'yotes' that I have been seeing around Hagersville,Cayuga have had the mange is anyone else seeing it anywhere else?Can it spread to the hounds if they get a hold of one?
The best things in life are not things!!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Mange is transmittable/tranferable - a parasite, I think. Some of the flea preventatives will also help prevent mange - not current on which ones though. Maybe Dr. Dan can advise?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

MADMAX2
A few years ago one of the hunters in our group swears he saw a wolf running with three or four coyotes - one was much larger than the others.
The next year I saw a huge wolf and there were lots of coyotes around our hunting area. I don't know if this is an exception, but I'm sure most of the time, as Mike P says, they don't intermingle.
If you hunt the Moore's Falls area, we would probably be able to hear each other shoot. Our camp is only a couple of miles as the crow flies west of you.
Jerry
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Here's one I took out on the controlled hunt. It Had mange and has recovered from it as the hair in patches had started to regrow...

Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

Every one I have shot so far has had mange. I would like a nice coyote pelt, but so far, no luck. Killing plenty of coyotes though.
Brother Model 80
Automatic Needle Threader
Overcasting Foot with Side Cutter
80 Stitches
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

We are blessed with a good variety of wolves and coyotes. They may not sleep in the same area but on a short drive you can see both kinds. The coyotes where we were in the controlled hunt hav even chased the beef cattle from their feed lot breking down the fences. They are running in large packs, 10 to 15 .This year we were asked to shoot every coyote we saw. They normally leave them alone for some of the group hunt them all winter . May have to take up another winter sport. :)
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Predator hunting is my all time favorite, I find it more challenging than deer and it is open all year! I shoot a lot of them while deer hunting, foxes too but I don't get the same enjoyment from that as I do when I start out on a days coyote hunting, but still enjoy it.
Part of my job is predator control on farms/airports/city parks.. all over south western Ontario, I always have a rifle and hunting equipment with me for when the opportunity arises. I use electronic calls and a decoy to speed up the process and bring the dogs in closer when I am forced to use archery equipment due to livestock or noise inside city limits while dispatching the coyotes for work related instances. But in the bush when it is for sport and enjoyment I only use mouth calls. Never, ever without a weapon anymore though, those little buggers bite hard!!
I have a lot of respect for those elusive animals, they pick up on the fact that they are being hunted very quickly and can be very challenging. They also are a good reason to have a rifle/shotgun/bow in the bush any time of the year.
I heard a rumor that Oxford county is going to be offering a bounty on them soon to help deplete the population a bit, that would make it all that much more fun!
My first coyote kill was a double, got them with a tiny .17 HMR bullet at a ridiculous range. My varmint rifle has grown up a lot since then though. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string