Archery Lanes? XBow Set Up.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bukee

Archery Lanes? XBow Set Up.

Post by bukee »

Hi guys, great forum you guys have going here. Trying to get back into archery hunting after an 8 year addiction to waterfowling. Now finally I think I have time to get addictited to both.

Anyway, I have an Exocel that has been sitting in the basement for 8 years. I have a dozen excalibur arrows with feathers and field points, that only have been shot a few times, I think I hunted with this bow 3 times, never shot in the field. Took a look have 6 WASP broadheads.

Anyway here are my questions.

Should I replace string, arrows and broadheads? ie is the technology much better now. Should I replace all or any? If so where would you recommend I go for the replacements/set up.

Also, is there anywhere in the GTA that I can site in the xbow? I know BPS has a 20 yard range, anything a bit longer out there. Science Centre I think had one years ago. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated and if it doesn't work I guess I'll just keep ducking..haha umm I mean quackquack.
bukee

Post by bukee »

If these are silly questions or been answered before on the forum just point me in the right direction and I'll try to dig up the answers.

Thanks for your help.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome Bukee!!!

I'm not in the Toronto area so I don't know where you can shoot - but I know that you'll find the answers to your questions here! :lol: Hang tight, most forum members are working or hunting. More will be logged on later in the day and will respond to your post.

Your set-up should be fine. There are people here who hunt with older Excals and do just fine. I'd replace the string for a better one by "Boo" - one of the forum members here. His strings are the best!

If you want to tweak your set-up the members here can give you the best advice!

Again, welcome to the best xbow forum on the 'net! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
huntman

Post by huntman »

welcome Bukee, are your arrows carbon or aluminum? and are those broadheads 100 grain?
Do you remember if you purchased the "right stuff" package when you purchased your x-bow? Not sure if it was even available then?

As we spoke about already once the BOO string is the way to go but i know that Don is a little behind in production. For the time being i would go with the FFF string from excalibur!
Stash

Post by Stash »

Science Center range prohibits crossbows. Bass Pro's range is for customers buying bows and doing setups - unfortunately we can't accommodate people who just want to "sight-in".

You'll have to find some open land where you have permission and it's safe to shoot, but your best bet is to join a crossbow-friendly club like York County Bowmen.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Your string.. If your bow is that old (still a gem!!) it may very well have carved tips, if it does then you can only use Dacron string on it, anything else will wreck the limbs. Here is the difference, Mag-Tips are the thicker of the two, they allow the use of almost any material of string, including the FFF that has already been suggested, if your tips are the thinner of the two shown here than you can absolutely not use FFF.
I think the ranges in Toronto can be a bit anal about crossbows, I know of one there they don't even allow them.
As far as broadheads, yes, the technology has changed but that certainly doesn't mean yours are obsolete, I would shoot what you have, if they shoot straight and they are sharp then they will kill deer.

Mag tip, takes any string material.

Carved tip, you can only use Dacron.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bukee

Post by bukee »

Hey guys and gal, thanks for the replies.

VixChix/Stash thanks for the info and suggestions.

Huntman, no idea on carbon/alum or weight of broadhead, I'll have to check tonight. Give me a call if you want to get out ducking, your welcomed anytime, tomorrow might be more of a scouting than shooting hunt, but one never knows. It sure sounds like it's going to be a duck day, high winds and rain.

Pydpiper, definitely have the carved limbs(2nd pic). So I guess it's dacron for me. And I've read enough praise in the short time on this site to know that a BOO string is in my future.

I guess I'll try to head out to BPS or Al Flaherty's tonight. Get the xbow, string, arrows, etc. checked out and buy whatever needs replacing. Then probably just start the setting in process when I'm up north at some point this weekend.

Thanks for all the help and hopefully before season end will have a report of my first archery deer.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Well I can save you and Boo some time, I have a tremendous amount of Dacron Boo strings, PM me your address and I will send you one, they are all my babies but I know Boo is busy right now and it will also help save him some precious time.
Lots of guys here shoot that bow, and wouldn't change it for the world. Welcome back to archery. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bukee

Post by bukee »

Wow Pydpiper...PM sent.

This site already moved up a few notches passed a couple of my bookmarked hunting sites.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bukee wrote:This site already moved up a few notches passed a couple of my bookmarked hunting sites.
Good choice. 8)

You'll be busting bulls in no time. Welcome aboard.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

DO you have a scope or are you going to use the peep sight??
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Stash

Post by Stash »

We don't stock the strings for the carved tips at the Bass Pro store, so we can't help you with that here.
bukee

Post by bukee »

Peep on it right know because I like keeping things simple, less to mess up, fog up, etc. But I am sure with todays scopes that's not a problem, so I can probably see myself slapping a scope on it when I get it checked out.
greener

Post by greener »

Bukee, if you live close to Oshawa , Gagnon Sports has lots of Standard Dacron strings for your carved tip Excal. $19.99 and they will install no charge
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend
Looked through my goodie box but no Dacron string.

Good luck with your bow
I'm sure it is still a killer
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011