Post rut in affect

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Post rut in affect

Post by crazyfarmer »

hows it looking everywhere else?? Seems the rut is just about over with here. Most of the mature bucks have what does that are left bedded and they are also hitting the food hard since im assuming they are rundown. The smaller bucks are still chasing the doe around the field, but thats because they are youngins :P

The rut wasnt to active here since the hot temps hit at the wrong time :roll:
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

The rut is just starting here.It has been slow for most of the guys I talked to.Some are tagging out,but not many.These guys mostly hunt the same area thou so that could be why.I got a buck on opening day for rifle,he was even swelled up yet and stinky.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I talked to my cousin in Virginia yesterday, making hunting plans for next week. He hasn't seen any sign of the bucks chasing does there. Which worries me a little. However, looks like cold weather is moving in the first of the week. CF . . .I guess it's possible that your rut has started and nearing completion and it's doesn't look like it's started at all in SW VA. Either that or the bucks have left the farm. Worries me.

Anybody else in S.W. Virginia?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The bucks here are still with doe's or searching for them here in southern Ohio.

Yesterday that big ten that I passed on was in my front yard thirty yards from my breakfast room window at 9:40 in the morning. He was coming to check out about five doe's that were having a late breakfast of English ivy I have as ground cover. Last night I saw an eight (two year old) running a doe in the cut bean field I was hunting.

It is still going on here and I think we still have a hot five to six days before it starts to taper off. It actually gets better at the end when there are fewer receptive doe's and the bucks have to travel and search more to find these "late bloomers."
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Doesn't matter here as I can't get out until next week!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
Pout... pout... pout....

There's better be some deer left, is all I can say! LOL :?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
BryanOney

Rut

Post by BryanOney »

I am seeing less over all buck movement up here just south of Lake Erie. However the last 2 weeks of Nov. before gun season is when I see the biggest bucks while bow hunting. I hit it hard right up till gun season. Some of the biggest bucks I have seen while bow hunting have been on the days around Thanksgiving.
Bobber54

Bucks chasing in NE Wisconsin

Post by Bobber54 »

The bucks are chasing hard here in Norteast Wisconsin. The greatest activity seems to be in the mornings. I've been working, but have the rest of the week off. Guess where I'll be

Bob
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I was on stand this morning and had a doe come running by and then I heard a buck grunting hard and here comes a 6pt(maybe 16inches wide) hot on her heals. Then right behind him comes a little spike. So she was in heat but it still seems 75% of the doe are done here. Bucks are still swelled up, but they wilkl stay like that untill after the second rut which should kick in in 2 weeks..

temps are supposed to be 45 here next week so maybe the bucks might spike again..

Mike, like you said.. should be another 5-6 days here of movement then its pretty much over untill some of the young doe come in
hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

So far the rut in S.E. Ohio has been a flop for me.I have seen one small six point [rattled him in]and one four point trailing two does.But the wind has been very inconsistant for a couple weeks.I think I like the second rut and early Jan. for seeing mature bucks.
kev

Post by kev »

It is slowing here. Does seem to be in heat so you can catch a Buck between Does. Movement my last 2 times out was slow.

It always seems the same here for me, last few days of oct. till nov. 8-9th are my best. I took my Buck Nov. 4th.