Product reviews.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Product reviews.

Post by chris4570 »

Maybe we can start a sticky thread???

I've got a couple to get things going.

Rocky "waterproof scentIQ" gloves: Don't like them. They are not waterproof. Pull the sleeve of your jacket over top the cuffs and the wicking action of the gloves will also pull water under your jacket and soak the ends of your under layers. So not only are your hands wet so are you forearms. :evil:

Next.

Gardners Calls neoprene gauntlet decoy gloves:No good. What's the point of wearing these gloves? If it's to keep your hands dry forget about it. I wore them today because my Rocky gloves have failed. Well so did these. I repeatedly had to take them off and turn them upside down to drain the water. Or I could squeeze them and the water would drip out. My fingers thoroughly enjoyed being cold and wet today. :roll: :evil:

Next.

Dollarama camo fleece gloves and toque:Good buy!! They are quiet. They are warm. I put the gloves on after the gauntlet gloves. I knew they wouldn't keep my hands dry but they were a heck of a lot warmer!!! Go figure. $1!!!
Last edited by chris4570 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Great thread! I almost start one just like it last week when I came across something I liked, forget what it is now though.
Your gloves.. I always carry rubber surgical gloves in my pack, they serve a million uses. I have used them under wet gloves to keep my hands dry, cut off the fingers to slap on to the top of my rifle/shotgun to keep rain out while sitting or walking, cut a strip off one once to tie a deers ass shut during the cleaning.. I always find uses for them, cheap too.

Oh! Now I remember.. Mitchum non-scented deodorant from Wall Mart, not made for hunters but works far better than any other hunting formula I have tried, I use it daily now. Has absolutely no smell.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

[quote=Oh! Now I remember.. Mitchum non-scented deodorant from Wall Mart, not made for hunters but works far better than any other hunting formula I have tried, I use it daily now. Has absolutely no smell.[/quote]

I agree 150%. I use it daily year round.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Like you, I've found "hunters" scent free antiperspirant doesn't do anything to keep me dry. I've also found that most "unscented" regular antiperspirants have a bit of scent to them. So.... now I use regular drugstore unscented and then use hunter's over top. Yeah, I can see you guys all rolling your eyes. :lol:

A few days ago I dropped my husband off to hunt with some pals for the weekend - one smelled of some really nice cologne (might work for women, but I don't know what the deer will think!) the other smelled of supper - something cooked with garlic and onions.... Hmmm... maybe they weren't really going hunting for deer? I wished them luck as I tossed hubby's sealed bag of descented clothing in the truck.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Phew, when I seen you posted in this thread I though for sure we were going to get a review of the "She-Pee". :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
huntman

Post by huntman »

Pydpiper wrote:Phew, when I seen you posted in this thread I though for sure we were going to get a review of the "She-Pee". :D

LMAO!! i was thinking the same thing!
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I usually wear a thin pair of gloves under my shooting mitts. The ones that can open on the palm side. It takes a while to soak through the mitts and when it does I have a second pair ready.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Pydpiper wrote:Phew, when I seen you posted in this thread I though for sure we were going to get a review of the "She-Pee". :D
Again? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hear ya about the gloves too. Ugh. I always carry at least one extra pair - usually two - in my pack.

My biggest glove complaint is that I can't find any in size S at WalMart or CT. Wearing size M during the shotgun hunt means that I have to pull the finger of the glove out of the gun after I insert a shell. :roll: A royal PITA. It's frustrating that most places don't carry women's and youth sizes - sends a really negative message, IMO. :evil:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

Try Lysol
If you are hunting an area with apple trees or especially if you are hunting over a pile of apples try spraying yourself down with apple scented Lysol. It makes a good cover scent. It seems to work for me and it doesn't cost as much as the dedicated cover scents and odor eliminators. I had a buck walk in a few yards down wind of me last year while I was in my ground blind and he didn't spook. He was quite tasty.
Jerry
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I have several pairs of those dollar store camo gloves and they are pretty awesome for the price. The only thing I don't like about them is they don't have any grip when holding onto my bow.

Speaking of gloves I have a pair of fairly expensvie "Huntworth" gloves. They are nice because they aren't too bulky but my hands sweat like crazy in them and then they end up stinking like old socks. They just don't breath at all. Once they are wet on the inside they take forever to dry out.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Lysol... interesting you should mention that. I just picked up a few cans of $1.98 vanilla air fresher and thought that once the rut was over I'd give it a try. ("That that, Buck Bomb!" :x ) I've got nothing to lose the way the season's been so far. :lol:
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

I'm a Mitchums Non guy as well and have been for about 5 years.

As for hands, this is very tough to find any dry quiet gloves, but what I do is use the cheep knitted glove and use cylinder type hand warmer with a canadian tire pouch hand warmer in it. That is the end of cold hands untill you take them out of it.

Just bought some Artic Sheild boot blankets and they are well worth the money.
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
saxman

Post by saxman »

This should be a sticky thread.
Good reads already

Bass Pro Shops E.C.W.C.S
Insulated Bib's and 4 way Parka. I like them.Got them 3 years ago for my Michigan and hopefully one day Ohio,Canada,etc hunts. used them here this year on a cold morning hunt.With the humidity down here the cold with a little stiff wind it will go right through you.
I got the realtree camo,dry plus.
They are warm quiet and I have never been wet in them,rain or that white stuff yall call snow,plenty of pockets.
I wear just the bibs with light weight wicking polypro under and then get dressed in the stand.
I went all day in November in Michigan.It was in the teens.

I bought some wool from Gander Mountain but I tried it on and the pants dont fit anymore.
Taste makes Waist
Last edited by saxman on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Primos Doe bleat can, looks like the gravity style but a bit smaller, it is electronic and gives perfect bleats every time, I have had great success with it.
WMU 91
Boo string
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Cabelas microfleece turtleneck w/scent eliminator.

I bought this shirt a year ago. It looked good and I needed something like it so got it. There is both plus and minus to this shirt:

Con: We had to take apart the neck and resew it because it was too small. The rest fit great and once we redid the neck, it is wonderful.

Pro: Definitely blocks the wind. The fleece on the collar is a welcome thing when it is cold and damp like this past weekend. We had wind and rain followed by wind and cold. That was followed by colder.

I also wear this shirt when I am riding bicycle in the colder weather. My body can't take the cold wind very well but can do much better while wearing this shirt.

Needless to say, I love it.
Keep smiling!
Dennis