Shoulder Penetration

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Long Trang

Shoulder Penetration

Post by Long Trang »

So I have yet to bloody a crossbow but a friend of mine has had a couple of notches put on his. I was talking to him about avoiding the shoulder bone and aiming slightly back. He asked me why and I responded with "the deflection of the bolt." I then received a 3 minute lecture on how a 175lb+ xbow will go through a shoulder bone with ease. :?

What are your experiences?
honker

Post by honker »

just shot a one that went through the front okay, but it did deflect as it went through.

Must of hit something in there to cause it to be flipped up directed differently when i fetched it up.
hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

My cousin shot a doe in the shoulder got about eight inches of penetration and never found the deer after two days of serching.Don't shoot the shoulder shoot just behind it then it won't matter .
wabi

Post by wabi »

I just helped a hunter gut & drag one out last week that he had shot it in the shoulder with a 175# Horton. The arrow snapped off at the skin line when it fell, and I compared the broken portion to an arrow from his quiver. The total penetration (skin line to tip of broadhead) was about 3", but it put the deer down and allowed him to get a second arrow through the vitals. The point was so solidly embedded we couldn't pull it out with vise-grips.
I would NOT recommend a shoulder shot!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Yes, it will go through the shoulder bone; it does not bounce off. But it will not always penetrate sufficiently to go through both lungs. A deer can go a long way on one lung. You may also be left with one entry hole only, partially blocked by the arrow shaft, leaving a poor blood trail. I've lost 2 deer to shoulder hits. Avoid the shoulder.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ninepointer wrote:Yes, it will go through the shoulder bone; it does not bounce off. But it will not always penetrate sufficiently to go through both lungs. A deer can go a long way on one lung. You may also be left with one entry hole only, partially blocked by the arrow shaft, leaving a poor blood trail. I've lost 2 deer to shoulder hits. Avoid the shoulder.
what he said...

ive hit a few in the shoulder.. some has been all the way pass throughs, while others only wetn half the way in. I have yet to lose a deer though with a good shoulder hit. if you try to aviod the shoulder what if you jerk the trigger a little and end up with a bad gut shot :wink: I'd rather have a shoulder hit than gut

I havent seen any deflection in any of my shots though. I dont see how it will deflect enough to make it a bad shot anyway though. If its going through on shoulder, its gonna hit the vitals it needs to before deflecting off any
Long Trang

Post by Long Trang »

Interesting, I appreciate you guys commenting. Keep the stories a coming and maybe post what bow you were using.. :wink:
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I had a 2 blade Rage shot from my Exomax 2 years ago stick in the shoulder of a buck that was quartering towards me. The buck ran off and it took all day of tracking to recover the deer. I learned my lesson and have avoided all shoulder shots since.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I hit the off side shoulder of a small deer. The broadhead stopped cold close to the joint. The carbon shaft crumpled. I've hit the blade before and it just wizzes through.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
saxman

Post by saxman »

I avoid that shot but I would take it at close range and if it was the ONLY shot I had
I shoot the Equinox with a G5 Montec.
I believe it would go through but I would much rather go in Behind the shoulder
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
MrBigSticks

Post by MrBigSticks »

Ive lost a big buck a few yrs ago when i messed up and shoulder shot it. I watched it ruin away on 3 legs not a good sight you might not get any vitals and also im shooting a exocet 200 with firebolts and 150gr boltcutter broadheads
Team: heartstoppers
exocet 200, hawke luminated reticle scope,cow whacker bolts and 125gr slick tricks
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Wouldn't recommend it. I shot a button buck high and steep angle last year. Hit and broke his shoulder but deflected severely. single lung gut exit. 160 yard recovery. A bigger buck would have gone much further and may not ahve been recovered on the same shot.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I did a Shoulder Shot on a doe about 15yrs ago with my old 150lb Termanator. 15 yard shot, broke the shoulder bone just below the ball, between ball and shoulder blade. Broad head passed through about 10 inches on off side. Double lung, recovery about 25-30yards. Broke Bolt when she fell.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i have shot thru the shoulders, one main thing stands out from it. use arrows on the the heavy side to penetrate. light fast arrows just don't seem to penetrate all the way thru both shoulders. the lighter poundage the CB the more weight needed & yes your arrow speed falls. so if really fast fps is your thing shoot thru the lungs!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315