peep sights for shotgun

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kitty kat

peep sights for shotgun

Post by kitty kat »

Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on these sights. I was going to mount a decent scope on the shotgun for my new rifled slug barrel but the gunsmith told me of the benefits of the peep sights over the scope. It seemed to make sense. With the peep sights there is no rain problems, lighter, less bulky, less likely to be damaged, and at least $100.00 cheaper. So I opted for the peep sights and just wondering what others thought. Thanks. :D
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Good when there is moderate to lots of light but during low light a good bright scope with a good field of view is far better. A decent scope will allow you to see in dark corners what the naked eye will not. Put a peep between your eye and the target and it gets worse.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

And if you don't have 'tired eyes' like I do at 68. I tried it but could not focus on the front sight so went with the 1 power scope...which is legal here with Dr's statement and permit from DNR. THAT made all the difference in the world.
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

I'd personally go with a low power variable like 1.5 to 4 x 32. It's small, and compact and lots of clarity. If you're hunting in the bush with low light, try the bushnell firefly. They work very well. Charge them with a flashlight before going in, and maybe half way through your sit just in case. Experiment at home first and see how long it would last. At 4X that's still lots of magnification for 150 yards.
wabi

Post by wabi »

My turkey gun has a ghost ring peep and a fiber optic front sight.
Works very well for me.
wabi
subneural

Post by subneural »

I think it's a matter of trying out your options and going with what works best for you.

I found that the twin-bead setup on the Benelli Supernova worked best for me, so that's what I bought. It has a fibreoptic sight at the front and a smaller brass bead about halfway down the rib.

HTH
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I don't have the luxury of a dedicated slug barrel (yet) so I'm replacing my front bead with a fibre optic as a first step. Not sure I want to bother with a scope for one week of hunting, especially when I'm not keen on taking longer shots.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
peter p

Post by peter p »

I prefer a scope. You don't need a scope for long shots as most deer are killed with in 50 yards. The scope helps you see better.