Last week's rifle hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Last week's rifle hunt

Post by TPM »

Spent the last couple of days of rifle season at our camp with a couple of buddies. Lots of deer sign but not much movement. Did spot a couple of tails heading into the bush on the way in and out. My one buddy shot a doe just before dark Saturday evening. He hit her but she headed for cover. After an exhaustive search in the dark in dense bush with snow coming down we decided to call it off until morning. It didn't take long to find her the next morning, or should I say, what was left of her. Seems that we made a donation to the "Huntsville Coyote Food Bank". Nothing left but the head, tail, bones and a bit of hyde. Well, at least some one ate well. :?
Here's a few pics.

It was a very wet few days. This was our "redneck mitt dryer"

We got a pile of snow starting Saturday afternoon. Had almost 8 inches by Sunday morning.

The pond.

The laneway leading to our cabin.

Loading up to come home.

The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Great pictures. I got a mitt dryer that looks a lot like that one. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mikej

Post by mikej »

great pics
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

my kind of place..needs a little insulation though. got any pics of the outside, how big is it?
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

I see you have some Red Green vapour barrier on the plywood cracks. 8)
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D Some time with your buddies,PRICELESS :D
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have lived in a lot of states, traveled to a lot of places, Huntsville is by far one of the most beauitful places I have seen.
Sorry about the doe.. It happens. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TPM

Post by TPM »

my kind of place..needs a little insulation though. got any pics of the outside, how big is it?
It's a very small cabin, only 10'x14' with a sleeping loft up top but it's cozy and accomadates three people comfortably. We're adding a bunk room on the back next year. Gonna put some styrofoam insulation on the underside of the roof to help retain heat a little better but even without insulation the little woodstove throws a lot of heat and it can actually get too warm in there sometimes. We decided not to insulate the walls at this time as mice just love insulation and they are a fact of life up there.
Here's a pic of the outside. It's a work-in-progress and I'd like to get the outside clad next year too. It sits on 100 acres of a mix of hardwoods, softwoods and swamp just outside of Huntsville. Lots of deer, lots of grouse and the occasional moose and bear.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
MrBigSticks

Post by MrBigSticks »

I could live there :D
Team: heartstoppers
exocet 200, hawke luminated reticle scope,cow whacker bolts and 125gr slick tricks
Stinky Buffalo

Home Sweet Home

Post by Stinky Buffalo »

Heh, looks a lot more cosy than my prospective domus this weekend... I'll be chillin' in the back of Great Bear's 'Burb.

Nice pics!

Stinky
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:shock: Sweet digs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Looks like great fun. Some of my most memorable hunts occurred from a wall tent....even though we were less than 30 miles form the comfort of our homes. We camped trough a blizzard, at -10F everyone worried about us. Our tents were set up in a grove of huge red pine. Had the stove going with lots of Ironwood, we hardly noticed it was storming. Next morning a "search party" came out to check on us (pre cell days) and couldn't believe how snug we were. Filled out that day, deer really moved after the storm.
roland

Post by roland »

nice pictures but it looks cold there.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like weather where work is impossible! Might as well make the best of it and hunt!
If you want to really upgrade the mitt dryer try a piece of stovepipe wire above the stove with several clothes pins strung on it. :lol:
wabi
TPM

Post by TPM »

Heh, looks a lot more cosy than my prospective domus this weekend... I'll be chillin' in the back of Great Bear's 'Burb.
Hey Stinky, good luck this week-end! Wish I was there with ya. :? One of these years! :lol:

Wabi, if I start doing stuff like upgrading the mitt dryer the guys are going to get spoiled and go soft on me. It's enough that we now have heat up there. Many stories of the past where we woke up to boots frozen to the floor and pots of water on the stove frozen solid. :shock:

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger