Accuracy Back In The Window

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sipsey

Accuracy Back In The Window

Post by sipsey »

It has been a couple of weeks since i wrote of my sudden woes with inconsistant bolt placement with my new Exomax--I had bought the Flemish ff after getting somewhat used to shooting the factory string-

after about a week of not shooting- all of a sudden the groups opened way up--up down left right--real inconsistant---I had installed the sts silencers for it so I took them off--same thing--put the factory string back on--somewhat better--I had tried every combination of string arrow that i could come up with---I had 2 identical sets of arrows and even numbered them---I was about to give up--Then i remembered the last thing i had done was to wrap a hi-density self-sticking foam insulation around the outside pieces on the foot-stirrup---So i took it off and went and shoot a 1-1.5 in. group at 30 yds.Today after just shooting with the factory string and sts reinstalled--the accuracy is back-----

I had noticed some seemingly minor serving seperation on the Flemsih string--i at first thought the other string to be the culprit---now im wondering if the stirrup wrapping was the problem the whole time---anyone had any similar experience?
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

sipsey, I don't see how that could cause any problems with arrow flight. Has to be something else for sure.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

If it is the foam insulation ,then the arrow was probably hitting with the fletching or something causing the arrow to deflect slightly .
Thats my read . :)
mikej

Post by mikej »

Doe Master wrote:If it is the foam insulation ,then the arrow was probably hitting with the fletching or something causing the arrow to deflect slightly .
Thats my read . :)
i agree that is the only way i could possibily see the foam causing the problem
MrBigSticks

Post by MrBigSticks »

I know when boo slows down if ever im getting one of his strings
Team: heartstoppers
exocet 200, hawke luminated reticle scope,cow whacker bolts and 125gr slick tricks
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Shot for a while this afternoon--put the flemish FF back on--made minor sight adj.---shoots just fine---I am really at a loss to fully explain why it started grouping poorly--then back to good---I am shooting off of Stoney Point shooting stix---these rounds of shooting i have strived to place grip and shoot with as much consisitancy as possible off the stix---other than that i have no clue as to what went wrong--then went right
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd have to agree with Doe Master, probably the fletching hitting the foam.
wabi
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Wabi--I understand your leaning towards an obvious cause--But i can assure you--the insulation was tightly wrapped and was quite outside the bolt window--The one thing i have done this round is to increase the brace height--Before i had the string --very lightly--touching the sts surfaces--now i have then between 1/16 and 1/8 " above the pads---also i think i may have been inconsistant in proping the forearm on the stix---as i said---i could see nothing "Obvious"---maybe it was just a combiation of factors---very puzzling though--

See if this scenario has any merit---In traditional compounds a stabilizer plays a vital role in dampening the bows vibration to avoid the bow sight picture from prematurely jumping before the arrow leaves the rest---On the crossbow it seems the stirrup is positioned and indeed acts very similar to a traditional stabilizer---I noticed the bow seemed to jump harder with the foam on it--maybe I unbalanced the harmonics enough to transfer more "jump" into the rail, etc--With the insulation off and a new approach to prop and grip--there seems much less movement-jump at trigger pull---what do you think?
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Thats a really good setup bstout --I did bring out my sandbags for bench shooting the rifles at one point-

I just came in from shooting 20-30-40-50- yds.---The bow is performing as it did right out of the box--excellent!--I now have no problems keeping the groups in a 4 " circle at 50 with open sights---nuff said--I'm ready to hunt :)

And get this--the plant i work at just called yesterday and asked if i would volunteer for an optional layoff--with FULL pay till the 1st of Jan.---woo-woo! Look out nannys--we have a liberal season here--i can take 3 bucks per season and 1 doe a day till Jan. 31

P.S.--Thanks for input and suggestions every one posted--For Bill T. to reply to something that seems now obviously user error says a lot about his faith in the bows---Mine is now restored :lol: Thanks again--