Do you still go out in cold weather?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xhunter

Do you still go out in cold weather?

Post by xhunter »

It is cold now! Anyone still in the woods to sit in a stand?

Planning to go this Thursday.

sorry, if you think this is a stupid question. I am a new hunter.

I heard that the rut is about to end in the 20 of this month. Do you think i still have a chance for a buck?
X - FOR XBOW
Normous

Post by Normous »

We hunt right up to New Years Eve. Dress warm!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

heres how this ole fart goes out in the cold as of this year..

if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
Mike P

Re: Do you still go out in cold weather?

Post by Mike P »

xhunter wrote:
sorry, if you think this is a stupid question. I am a new hunter.
xhunter, there are no stupid questions from new hunters. You ask away! And soon you will not be a new hunter and you can pass on your knowledge to someone who is new. It is the way it works in the hunting community.

Lots of us sit in the cold. But cold is perception. What is cold to our forum members down south is balmy to our northern brothers above the border. But I am sure you will find plenty of us that do not let any amount of cold dissuade us from hunting.

I love hunting January's in Ohio. Much of the time it is single digit regarding temperature. But with the gear available today, no one should fear the cold.

And besides, the colder it is the more deer have to eat. And the more they have to eat, the more they have to move. And the more they have to move, well, you get the picture.

And never be shy with the questions around here. We were all there once.
whitetailmad

Post by whitetailmad »

As it gets cold the deer need to eat more to stay warm. A few years back I was seeing more bucks in the last part of December over food then any other part of the year.

Eat good dress warm and don't sweat on your way in. Get out there and you will get a deer.

Hunting is like fishing your not going to get anything with your line out of the water. Get in your stand watch and learn. Bring home that deer.

Good hunting.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-zone scope
Fire bolt,bolts
Bolt cutter broadheads
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I find it hard to sit still for longer periods of time when it's cold, but being in a blind helps (I can fidget and stay warmer), I put body heater pads on my back, I even bring a thin black fleece blanket along to tuck around me - makes a huge difference! I'd rather hunt when it's +10, but after seeing just one bcuk during that warm spell during shotgun season, I'd rather be hunting in -10! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

Xhunter -

I've spent many a long, frozen hour in the duck blind and nothing sours a hunt faster than being miserable out there. Being miserable usually translates into being fidgety, and being fidgety is not compatible with deer hunting where stillness, silence and patience are the keys to success. If it doesn't break the bank, spend a few bucks figuring out what you need in order to stay warm and comfortable in your stand or your blind. To my knowledge, they don't give a medal to The Most Miserable Hunter of the Day.
:wink:

As to how late in the season you should hunt, hunt all the way to the end if you're able to do so. Just because whitetails change their behavior post-rut doesn't mean you can't still bag a monster. Some of your fellow hunters up north can suggest good strategies and tactics to follow once the rut is over.

Good luck out there...and stay cozy!

Savagevervet
mikej

Post by mikej »

i would rather hunt in 40 below with a foot of snow than in 15 to 25 degree weather like we had in october
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I hunt regardless of the weather. Hot, cold, windy, rain, snow. Sometimes it's probably not safe and my chances slim but I've GOT to be out there!! Dec 31 comes too soon.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I walked through water, breaking ice as I went, for 15 minutes today. Sat in my climber from 6:30 am to 11:30 am. I was dressed accordingly and was still seeing deer at 11:00am. In fact, I had the bow on the ground, feet in the stirrups and was ready to take that first step down when a spikehorn came by. Lucky for him I am searching for a bigger deer at this point in time.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Savagevervet wrote: To my knowledge, they don't give a medal to The Most Miserable Hunter of the Day.
:wink:
Of course they do, I have won it several times.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Late in the season I tend to hunt more from my ground blinds than a tree stand, simply because they are warmer. I was perched in one of my ladder stands Sunday evening and decided to give up the hunt 1/2 hour before I usually quit. The wind was cold!
I have noticed the deer are coming in more to my feeder now, so I will probably switch to hunting from the blind there. I do have a heater in the blind, too! :lol:
I've alread tagged the one buck we're allowed here, but bucks are still on the move in my area in southern Ohio. I was checking my traps this morning at 8:30AM and I was within 30 yards of a 4 pointer before he decided to walk off. He didn't panic, just looked for a few seconds and turned and walked away.
wabi
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

fogducker wrote:heres how this ole fart goes out in the cold as of this year..

:lol: man you are one serious guy , wheels on the chair and everything , man you must pump out some lead out of that blind LOL

J/K

I would look at food sorce by the end of November for sure. You can take a buck at any time just play with the highest odds 2 hours in the morning and the two hours in the afternoon...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

man you are one serious guy , wheels on the chair and everything , man you must pump out some lead out of that blind LOL

J/K

I would look at food sorce by the end of November for sure. You can take a buck at any time just play with the highest odds 2 hours in the morning and the two hours in the afternoon...
last week up in area 60..i took two nice deer out in that get up..
i neaver had to use the heater,but i had it if i needed it..
one day it was pissing rain all day,i was dry as a bone in there,i took out a really nice sized buck that day.. :D ..
i bought the blind just days before i went hunting,as i was one sick bugger with the flue..
now i wonder why i neaver went this route years ago. :? .
who says you cant teach an ole dawg new tricks :lol:
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

Fogducker -

It looks like you've got that baby carpeted with a remnant of 1970s-era green and brown shag. :shock: I bet there's a rotating glitter ball and hidden speakers pumping out disco, too. And did I see the telltale corner of a "Saturday Night Fever" poster taped up inside??? That's not a blind. That's an indelible mark on the face of one of life's more noble pursuits! :wink:

Savagevervet