Bait, corn etc.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

I use ear corn the turkeys cant wipe it out as easliy and the deer have to work harder to get a belly full so you have more time to be selective.
sullyy

Post by sullyy »

Can you get carrots in bulk like you can corn? I know they work well, but I'd hate to have to buy them at the grocery store....
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

sullyy wrote:Can you get carrots in bulk like you can corn? I know they work well, but I'd hate to have to buy them at the grocery store....
Farmer's Markets usually sell them by the bushell.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
whitetailmad

Post by whitetailmad »

A lot of you are using apples I would like to use them myself. Where are you getting them from. Are you getting seconds from some where? I can see my self going in no-frills and buying 10 bags lol.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-zone scope
Fire bolt,bolts
Bolt cutter broadheads
mikej

Post by mikej »

orchards will sell you ground apples
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I feed corn and soy beans side by side down here. The deer overwhelmingly perfer the soybeans. Neither of which are grown locally.
here is an example...the pipe feeder in this picture has corn in it, the soybeans are scattered over the area from a spin feeder above. As you can see, these deer are eating only the soybeans.
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I'm using corn.
I put it out PRN untill I see hog tracks and then I stop and move my set up.
Vermon
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I was told by an MNR officer that it is better for the deer if you mix some kind of grain/oats with whole corn. Apparently there is alot of starch in corn so the grain helps them diggest and poop.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
chris50362

Post by chris50362 »

flbuckmaster wrote:I feed corn and soy beans side by side down here. The deer overwhelmingly perfer the soybeans. Neither of which are grown locally.
here is an example...the pipe feeder in this picture has corn in it, the soybeans are scattered over the area from a spin feeder above. As you can see, these deer are eating only the soybeans.
jay
I made one of those tube feeders yesterday and set it up in the afternoon. It holds about a pail of corn. Pretty neat devise considering it's made of ABS/PVC tubing.
catcher

Post by catcher »

LondonDave wrote:We use whole kernel "Fuel Corn" from TSC. Reg. price $8.99 for 55 pounds but it's usually on sale for $6.99. Deer love it. I tried a bag of the "Deer" corn that had molasses or something similar on it. I thought they would gobble it right up but they didn't. It eventually got eaten but not a quickly as the plain corn.

Dave
I found the same thing at my place. But at my local co-op they make a deer feed with soy beans, grain and whole corn and molassess. They will eat that up pretty good.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

we put out pumpkins, apples, corn with oats ...all were hit pretty good ....we have found that there is also a hint of pumpkin flavor afterwards in our deer ...lol
farmer54

Post by farmer54 »

I used whole corn back a couple of years age. The problem l had was that birds chipmunks and everything else would get into it. So l went to the Trophy Rock and it solved that problem. I have been using it since and have had great results. The web site is "trophyrock.com". Frommthe picture from the trail cameras we have had everything from fawns up to bucks coming to it. I get it from a store near Athens Ontario. The stores name is Gobble N Grunt. He sells it for about $25 a rock. I get about 4 to 6 months before l put out some more. The deer seem to really go for it. I just put some more out for the winter to help the deer to get thru. I don't think l well go back to corn.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

chris50362 wrote:
flbuckmaster wrote:I feed corn and soy beans side by side down here. The deer overwhelmingly perfer the soybeans. Neither of which are grown locally.

I made one of those tube feeders yesterday and set it up in the afternoon. It holds about a pail of corn. Pretty neat devise considering it's made of ABS/PVC tubing.
mine hold about 40 lbs of corn.
jay
saxman

Post by saxman »

Acorns are dropping here so they have all but abandoned my corn
Time to get the turkey blind out and hit the oak flats
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
fratri

carrots in bulk

Post by fratri »

We used to get a pickup truck load of carrots for $5 from the processors up in Bradford.... They I beleive refer to it as feed carrots... They would use a forklift to dump the box load right into the truck bed....Mind you that was about 7 or 8 yrs ago..... If I didn't move from the GTA I would still be driving there to get a truck load....