DECEMBER ONTARIO DEER HUNTING

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ben694

DECEMBER ONTARIO DEER HUNTING

Post by ben694 »

REACH SOME TRICK FOR FIRST EXPERIENCE IN ONTARIO FOR DECEMBER (12-17) DEER CROSSBOW HUNTING.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Salut Ben.

Are you looking for first time tricks for bowhunting or for bowhunting in Ontario? What part of Ontario? Some WMUs close the bow hunt on the 15th of December.
ben694

Post by ben694 »

IS SMITH FALL AREA,PRIVATE LAND.
ben694

Post by ben694 »

IS FIRST TIME IN ONTARIO ,AND DECEMBER.IN MY AREA (QUEBEC) THE SEASON CLOSE IN MID-NOVEMBER.AND THIS SEASON IS FOR FIREARM.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

That's a great area. If it's your first time hunting in December then you probably want to bring / get yourself some camo insulated pants (think ski-doo pants). You may want a better insulated coat than you'd use earlier in the season or make sure to bring extra layers. Colder weather boots would be a good idea. Avoid breathing near the scope. Bring a can with scent-free candles or some other form of heater. Chemical heat packs or solid fuel stick hand warmers are great. I use a couple of the solid fuel stick hand warmers in the sleeping bag on those cold nights - works like a charm. Bring a thermos of hot coffee / tea / soup. But remember that sweat is the enemy. Don't sweat on the way to your stand! Go in cold and add layers when you arrive. Remove snow from your gear / clothing before it melts if you can. Bring extra gloves. At that time of year I like the wool glove / mitt combo with thinsulate that you can buy at Canadian Tire. They may not be camo but they keep your hands warm when it's cold and they're quiet and they let you use your fingers when you need them without taking off the whole glove. The glove/mitts with the magnet instead of velcro are best.

The 2nd rut will probably be on during that time so the bucks may be on the move. It's been a weird year though since acorns finally dropped after 5 years without any. If there's no activity where you are, you may want to get to the hardwoods and check for sign around the oaks. Especially hardwoods near the thick stuff. I'd still-hunt that kind of area. If the hardwoods are quiet then hit the adjacent thick stuff and try and put them up.

Keep the xbow in the cold to prevent problems with it and condensation. If it gets wet, dry it out and make sure to lube it and that everything is working.

I've been hunting about 30kms north of where you're going (WMU 64B) but mostly about 50kms west (WMU 58) where I have my camp, and I haven't see a single buck yet except for the one that my buddy put on the pole opening day of the rifle season. The bucks have been really wary. I'm stuck deciding whether to still-hunt to get them up or to blind / stand hunt and hope they move to me when they haven't moved all fall. If you have a doe tag you'll probably be OK.

Good luck and enjoy hunting Ontario!

Tom
ben694

Post by ben694 »

thanks for info !
i give you some news when i'm back :wink:
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

More cold weather thoughts:

Thermal long johns and shirts. I've used everything, Army thermals, wool, and high tech wicking stuff like Under Armour (UA). The UA is great but does nothing to keep you warm and insulated. You can wear thermals or wool over the UA and have the best of all worlds. I like wool since it retains some insulation factor even when wet. Thermal, if made of cotton, provides no insulation when it's wet and it dries slowly.

On a side note: My green army thermals have been washed in scent neutralizer and are cut into scent strips. I never have to buy another scent strip!